10/07/19 - Wichita, KS - INTRUST Bank Arena **Locomotive played for the first time since 1992**

alfierose

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Roger Waters used to do Another Brick Part II second in his setlist for a while. I saw his 99 - 01 tours several times and I shit you not, I saw more than a few people leave soon after Brick II. 

Like.... Seriously?? I know ticket prices were way lower back then, but still. I can't believe people would pay any amount of money to hear under 5 songs then leave. 

On a GN'R related note; I've seen TONS of people leave after the main set at pretty much every show I've ever been to. 

Never got these crowds, those are not music fans to me, just event/party "look at me, i was there" people. I could see people leaving early when the show goes on way beyond midnight (like GNR or Bruce Springsteen) or weather/transport is risky, but other than that...why attend in the first place? I blame it on those damn phones turning people into squirrels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I like AC/DC. I go to their concerts. But I own exactly 4 CDs of them. I do know many, but not all songs of them. I would feel a fraud to call myself an AC/DC fan. I like them. But I'm not in the category that would get me called a fan.

And again. In the case of GNR we are talking about a band that has exactly 4 albums. We're not talking about Alice Cooper, who has 20+ albums or Prince, who has 30+ albums. We are talking about a band with 4 albums. I would accept people not knowing CD stuff, as that is not really GNR. But a fan who doesn't know the songs of AFD, UYI 1 + 2? Get the fuck out of here.

Gotta disagree with your argument here that any casual fan should know Locomotive. It’s one of the deepest cuts in the bands catalogue. 

Let me give you some perspective. My favorite band has 16 albums. I’ll have seen them 135 times by this time next week. I’ve spent...far more money on them than I care to admit. There’s probably about 10 tracks from albums (I.e. not B-sides or anything) that they could play and I would only vaguely recognize or not be familiar with enough that I know what they are offhand. These songs are the same tier of obscurity as Locomotive. So...does that mean I’m not a real fan of this band?

3 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i leave right before paridise city starts to beat the crowd and the song just doesn't do it for me live at least - would need the originals for me to stay on that one

I've only done that once and it was in 2002. I fucking regret that. Bucket on Paradise, fuck me!

16 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I've only done that once and it was in 2002. I fucking regret that. Bucket on Paradise, fuck me!

I left early in 2002 as well.. Not super early at all. Just before teh last song but I just couldn't take it anymore. I had other friends that circus much earlier than I did. 

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

i stayed for that one in 2002 that was sweet 

i only left in my last NITL appearance song is played with the least passion along with sweet child they really do need steven to make those two at least some justice 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. What? Why would anyone tweet at Sorum about this? Frank did just fine on Locomotive. 

As I drummer I’ve been a vocal critic with Frank’s drumming. He’s impressed me a lot this leg. Really has improved. There’s just somethings he does that really irritate me (November rain intro). That being said I think he did well on locomotive. A few timing issues and seems like he tried to do too much at times but overall I expected a lot worse. Slither I actually think is his best non gnr song that he does. He really plays that song well. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Damn, this band/brand played the same show for three years and now finally has dusted off ONE single deep cut and you are seriously talking about „setlist tricks“?! It’s ridiculous. 😄

Maybe, but if you understood what I meant it was simply if certain people are holding out hope of hearing other songs in the deep cut category (which judging on this thread alone suggests there’s plenty)that haven’t been pulled out for years then this gives them hope. Locomotive is probably the hardest one of all for axl and that’s why people were surprised they dusted it off. 

48 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Maybe, but if you understood what I meant it was simply if certain people are holding out hope of hearing other songs in the deep cut category (which judging on this thread alone suggests there’s plenty)that haven’t been pulled out for years then this gives them hope. Locomotive is probably the hardest one of all for axl and that’s why people were surprised they dusted it off. 

I've never really understood why Loco's so hard for Axl to sing myself. It's not like he has to do long Jungle and LALD sustained raspy screams. Maybe it's just me and I'm not getting it? I'm not Axl either so can't speak for the dude

I do think he did a pretty fucking good job after not singing it for 22 years or whatever it is 👍🏻😁

Edited by Crowebar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Crowebar said:

I've never really understood why Loco's so hard for Axl to sing myself. It's not like he has to do long Jungle and LALD sustained raspy screams. Maybe it's just me and I'm not getting it? I'm not Axl either so can't speak for the dude

I do think he did a pretty fucking good job after not singing it for 22 years or whatever it is 👍🏻😁

Cause there's no time for breathing. They chopped that vocal track in studio a lot, it's overlapping a bit (or close to it) on a lot of lines. Kinda like what they do with rap songs. Try to follow Axl just with speaking and pronounce every word and you'll see what I mean 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Cause there's no time for breathing. They chopped that vocal track in studio a lot, it's overlapping a bit (or close to it) on a lot of lines. Kinda like what they do with rap songs. Try to follow Axl just with speaking and pronounce every word and you'll see what I mean 

Thanks. Makes sense to me

I still think Axl did a pretty decent job myself. I've always loved that song and really glad they finally dusted it off and hope it stays because it rocks

my two bits on locomotive that it is indeed the deepest cut GNR have in their catalogue, i was die hard when UYI came out and i could never get through the whole song not because it's not good - its fantastic but its their most different song - no clear chorus and the song length, this coupled with never a release as a single nor video and the abundance of other songs to get into made it sit on the shelf for a long time, i only really listened to the entire thing a lot in the last 5 years this is coming from a die hard as i was mostly reignited when i finally heard the live recordings of 91 on youtube 

no casuals know this tune, its pure die hard and slash/axls baby 

what's axl saying 2/3rds into the song it's like he's directing his crew on something mutes the mic, does he instruct to lower levels or what's he doing 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, baldek said:

Personally I've never left an event earlier, whether it's a concert, football match, etc. 

I think of it as a mix between having a good time and respect for those you are watching (god knows how hard that is in football sometimes). However, who am I to tell someone else that 150$ is an expensive price to see one or two songs live? It's all about the personal experience and how much you're willing to pay for it. For most of us the experience ends at Paradise City, for others after SCOM.

It's all good - we're happy, they're happy and the legacy of GN'R lives on.

I guess you are not a NY Giants, Mets, nor Knicks fan. :) I left early watching all three teams since they were playing awful. 

I have never left early for a GNR concert nor any other concerts. You are paying good money to see. Might as well stay for the entire show.