10/11/19 - Austin, TX - Austin City Limits

alfierose

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hopefully he just had an off night. 

He looks pretty heavy in person. It was actually a little shocking when he walked on stage last week. Last night he started the show pretty strong but started to degrade as the show went on. The air was cold and the wind was blowing some which I’m sure didn’t help. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was at the Palladium gig a few weeks ago, and he sounds better now than he did then. This is 100% the worst time of year for allergies in LA, Austin (allergy capital of the southwest), along with everywhere else they're playing. You can hear that he's got a cold/hay fever.

36 minutes ago, rocco said:

Even though I really don't like Frank in the GN'R context, I can guarantee you that he's a hundred times better than Lars. Seriously. I used to be a hardcore Metallica fan (Tattoos and all) and I still kind of am, but I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Frank is no diff than Sorum IMO - he plays everything on the 1 w a 1/4 note feel. He's a got a lot more finesse than Sorum so I prefer him. Adler plays everything on the 2 with an 1/8 note feel which is what makes the AFD shit pop up and down.

To quote James, Lars has never been drummer of the year. Those parts are really complicated, and I think he's playing great all things considered. Neil fucking Peart retired for this exact reason. 

At any rate, I think this GN'R tour is as good as it can be for a quick fe$tival run. Next year will be hopefully be amazing!

• Like 2

So I know damn well what the setlist is at this point. 

But when Axl said, “And now the one you’ve been waiting for”, I legitimately thought to myself “holy shit, it’s coming...” 

He then talked about warm, fuzzy feelings and then launched into YCBM.

Axl you motherfucker lol 

Edited by GNRfanJen
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

He looks pretty heavy in person. It was actually a little shocking when he walked on stage last week. 

At the last show I went to my buddy turned to me and said "Wow he looks like shit huh?" as soon as Axl walked on stage.. The show before that a girl I knew texted me from another part of the stadium said it was gross watching him do the snake dance and thrusting his hips because he looked so bad. 

2 hours ago, rocco said:

I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Well that his 30 years into his career.. He has aged.. Not saying he is the best drummer ever but playing that kind of music is taxing and he still played drums on some on a lot of the best metal songs ever recorded. \m/

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Well that his 30 years into his career.. He has aged.. Not saying he is the best drummer ever but playing that kind of music is taxing and he still played drums on some on a lot of the best metal songs ever recorded. \m/

I agree on the last part, but other than that... I mean he's only 3 years older than Frank, so this argument is not really valid to me to be honest. On the other hand, I was just about to go on rambling about how other musicians are still on top of their game even 30 years into their career but then I remembered that this is a GN'R forum, so... whatever :D

Edited by rocco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Saw some videos, and he does sound noticeably weaker, with some hints of Bridge School at some points. The big difference from previous concerts in such a short time indicates some specific issue like a cold or something. 

Tbh I think the obsessive discussion and derision of Axl's looks and weight that relentlessly takes over threads in this forum has reached disgusting levels. It's frequently toxic and weirdly obsessive, while full of arguments that make absolutely no sense. There are loads of fantastic singers that are overweight through their whole careers, and singers who look fantastic for their ages (Bon Jovi being one of them) that have absolutely obliterated their voices. There is zero correlation.

Yes being in shape and performing a physically demanding job have no correlation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Yes being in shape and performing a physically demanding job have no correlation.

Vocals obviously get worse with age, but the fact that every time Axl has been in shape, he sings amazing... it is definitely related.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wasn’t it pretty much accepted he did have a cold? I thought I read it somewhere!

7 hours ago, rockphantom said:

It's probably shit, but we'll find out next week. I hope XAVEL captured the IEM streams last night. I'll buy an XAVEL iem ACL GNR release and liberate it, should one appear. :headbang:

Do you think there will be any IEMs of the last couple of shows where he was strong vocally?

33 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Vocals obviously get worse with age, but the fact that every time Axl has been in shape, he sings amazing... it is definitely related.

Exactly. There’s a reason 2006 was so good.

If he didn’t run around so much, it wouldn’t make as much of a difference as it does but he’s a fairly active frontman, so he gets winded. 

Anyway we’ve all beaten this topic to death but I thought the post above saying there is no correlation was laughable. That’s like saying conditioning doesn’t matter for athletes.

• Like 3

I really dont care about Axl's belly and I also think this shit is tiresome. The girl said it was gross to see an old dude dancing? Really? WTF? 

And about Frank: he plays like he should for the most part. I don't recall that much people talking about him before, it seemed to get a lot worse since Slash and Duff came back. Saw a lot of people blaming him for the sped-up tempo in the songs (but they've been playing like this since 2001). And IMO, there's a lot who just dislike his tone or feel, but that doesnt make him a bad musician (IMO, miles better than Matt Sorum). Brain never played YCBM's intro properly and didnt get that much shit. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

And about Frank: he plays like he should for the most part. I don't recall that much people talking about him before, it seemed to get a lot worse since Slash and Duff came back. Saw a lot of people blaming him for the sped-up tempo in the songs (but they've been playing like this since 2001). And IMO, there's a lot who just dislike his tone or feel, but that doesnt make him a bad musician (IMO, miles better than Matt Sorum). Brain never played YCBM's intro properly and didnt get that much shit. 

This is really interesting, because Slash and Duff kind of adapted the way to play those songs from the NuGN'R line-ups.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Tbh I think the obsessive discussion and derision of Axl's looks and weight that relentlessly takes over threads in this forum has reached disgusting levels. It's frequently toxic and weirdly obsessive, while full of arguments that make absolutely no sense. There are loads of fantastic singers that are overweight through their whole careers, and singers who look fantastic for their ages (Bon Jovi being one of them) that have absolutely obliterated their voices. There is zero correlation.

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Axl's issue is not carrying a few extra pounds. Doing what he does at nearly 60 is simply not possible if you are in shitty cardio shape. His issue is 30 years of singing way above his natural vocal range with an insane amount of vocal distortion, and possibly without proper technique for a good part of it.

I agree with both of these. He shredded his voice back in the 90s and wasn't using good technique so it's gone now for the most part, except for when he tries really hard (Axl/DC, rock the rock). Even when he rasps now the timbre  doesn't sound the same as back in the day. However he has been sounding a bit better this run and if it's true that he's been working with a vocal coach then he should continue to do so. Maybe he can bring some of those parts of his voice back then.

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

This is really interesting, because Slash and Duff kind of adapted the way to play those songs from the NuGN'R line-ups.

They don’t. A lot of songs were changed after they came back in 2016. Paradise City is a good example. It’s played much faster now. 

I agree that 2001 lineup played in a faster tempo, but just as 1992/93 live, shows, which had songs played in “rush mode”. So it has nothing to do with “new gnr way of playing the songs”

Edited by ChrisMaciel

12 hours ago, ChrisMaciel said:

They don’t. A lot of songs were changed after they came back in 2016. Paradise City is a good example. It’s played much faster now. 

I agree that 2001 lineup played in a faster tempo, but just as 1992/93 live, shows, which had songs played in “rush mode”. So it has nothing to do with “new gnr way of playing the songs”

But this isnt something to blame only the drummer. My point was: the band (or just Axl) wanted songs to be played faster. They did it with Brain before, and then Frank just kinda went along with it. 

The 92/93 didnt have that much songs played faster, but I dont think Matt played with a metronome. In 2001-2019, this is clearly something deliberated, as some songs did have a metronome demand (because of all the sync with pre-recorded drum machines, video cues and even backing vocals in the Ashba era). 

So, again: this is nothing particular with Frank. It happened before with Brain and nobody gave a shit about it before. People even prefer when they clearly played The Blues rushed as fuck in 2001.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

But this isnt something to blame only the drummer. My point was: the band (or just Axl) wanted songs to be played faster. They did it with Brain before, and then Frank just kinda went along with it. 

The 92/93 didnt have that much songs played faster, but I dont think Matt played with a metronome. In 2001-2019, this is clearly something deliberated, as some songs did have a metronome demand (because of all the sync with pre-recorded drum machines, video cues and even backing vocals in the Ashba era). 

So, again: this is nothing particular with Frank. It happened before with Brain and nobody gave a shit about it before. People even prefer when they clearly played The Blues rushed as fuck in 2001.

Yeah, totally agree. 
People come here and blame Frank like he is a major part of decision about the tempo songs are played in GNR.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, DTJ80 said:

Lara isn’t that bad. Although clearly nowhere near his AJFA skills he does fine - it’s not like he is playing simple stuff. I was VERY impressed with his performance at S&M2.

But yeah - glad the naysayers are at least acknowledging Franks clearly improving links with Duff etc.

It's not that Lars is bad it's him trying to simplify stuff and him obviously not practicing enough. He makes rookie mistakes a lot