State of Grace - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, dogman said:

What ChiDem song has a catchy chorus?  I love CD, but I can't really think of any song that actually has a catchy chorus.  To me, SOG is the only song from this era that has a chorus that could get stuck in my head.

Hard School

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caedo said:

Shacklers, Better, TWAT, Perhaps 

Disagree that any of those are catchy choruses.  The closest to catchy would be Shacklers.  100% not TWAT and definitely not Better.  The verses and intro are really the only catchy part to Better.

5 minutes ago, dogman said:

Disagree that any of those are catchy choruses.  The closest to catchy would be Shacklers.  100% not TWAT and definitely not Better.  The verses and intro are really the only catchy part to Better.

Fairo, those are just the ones that I like. When I say TWAT I mean the "there was a time, didn't want to know at all" part not the choruses in the first part of the song. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dogman said:

What ChiDem song has a catchy chorus?  I love CD, but I can't really think of any song that actually has a catchy chorus.  To me, SOG is the only song from this era that has a chorus that could get stuck in my head.

I find the choruses to Better, CD, and Shacklers easy to get stuck in my head

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

It’s such powerful fucking song. 100% should have been on CD. If we would have gotten a fully finished version of this instead of scraped all of us die hard would have been blown away. And CD would been so much better

State of Grace and Perhaps absolutely should've replaced Scraped and Shackler's.

Then again... the Village demos of Riad, CD and CITR all sound really good, while the album versions of those songs are a mess. I'm scared to think of how many unnecessary layers got added to State Of Grace...

• Like 2

On 22/3/2020 at 2:48 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Probably not 100% but here's my guess at it:

What can I say
Free will is blind today
The choice that you made
Is not a road that I would take
To use and betray
The simplest power play
Now far away
With tears that go unexplained, now...

Oh, my love
Can it be
I'm falling from your grace with me and,
Oh, more than ever
I still remember...

The pain,
It's just a passing phase
No, more like a game
Problems of the human race
Goes right to your brain
Caught down in a hidden place
With no sense of shame
The secrets out and you can't erase it...

Oh, my love
Can it be
I'm falling from your grace with me
Now, more than ever
I still remember
Your name...

When did you think you would tell me
How long you think I can wait (oh no, I just...)
I thought I never said I was sorry
Now don't you count on your faith now, you'll never learn
The storm is comin' to get ya, oh
I sense a shivering doom
You thought you had it, yea
You thought you had it figured out
But you don't even care

My love... killin' me
You've fallen from your grace with me
Oh, my love, ah
I asked for (?) I believe in
'Cause now, more than ever
I still remember,
Your name...

Sorry, I dont think the second part is accurate. I think you took a guess.

I’ve followed the song with this lyrics and the second part doesnt fit. I still believe hes mumbling some parts

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

State of Grace and Perhaps absolutely should've replaced Scraped and Shackler's.

Then again... the Village demos of Riad, CD and CITR all sound really good, while the album versions of those songs are a mess. I'm scared to think of how many unnecessary layers got added to State Of Grace...

Very True. SOG and Hard School should have replaced Riad and scraped. I wished they never would have changed catcher. The village version is so much better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I’ve followed the song with this lyrics and the second part doesnt fit. I still believe hes mumbling some parts

Feel free to make any corrections. Which lyrics do you think don't fit? His enunciation is horrible, but I think most of the words are accurate.

10 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Pretty nuch everything he sings in his high voice.

I think you got the first part perfectly though, THANKS

What do you think lyrics are in the second half? Like I said, my guess probably isn't 100%. He stretches words and enunciates horribly, but there's clearly finished lyrics there, he's not making "Axl noises" or just mumbling a melody... if you can correct any lyrics then please do, so we can get closer to an accurate transcription.

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

State of Grace clearly has scratch vocals, sounds like he misses a word or two as well. Perhaps that was the intent, but I doubt it having heard the Quick Song with vocals from those sessions.

I’m in the camp that thinks SoG is just scratch vocals at the end, but it is weird comparing it to Quick Song’s scratch vocals because those are so clearly not words at all, while in this song it seems like  there’s an idea of what Axl wants to sing but just hasn’t really finalized writing them

5 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I think the end is more like this

my love Can it be?

youve fallen from your grace with me

oh my love

oh now

I’ve found the love that I believe in

cause now more than ever

i still remember

your name

13 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

So would this be a slash or stephanie (again) song going by the lyrics?

When would the song have most likely been written/recorded?

The mix we have is from March 27, 2000. It was probably written in 1999 with most of the other songs, but we don't really know how long Axl had been working on lyric ideas.

• Like 1

This is the biggest shame of the leaks for me. Easily my favorite song from them and genuinely disappointed it didn't make CD for the world to hear(although who knows what it would of sounded like at this stage). Kind of reminds me of some of Marilyn Mansons work around this stage, and could easily see it fitting into Antichrist Superstar. And unlike Hard School, Perhaps and some other leaks that could potentially be released and genuinely improved upon by Slash and Duff, I can't see this song sounded better with their input mainly cause it's so far removed from the classic GNR instrumental style.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, slash23579 said:

I’m in the camp that thinks SoG is just scratch vocals at the end, but it is weird comparing it to Quick Song’s scratch vocals because those are so clearly not words at all, while in this song it seems like  there’s an idea of what Axl wants to sing but just hasn’t really finalized writing them

Quick Song may have been in a different (earlier) state of development at the time. SOG sounds like Axl is using a cheap mic, maybe in a "non production" studio setup to be reviewed as a working track, perfected, then performed at an actual studio. I actually thought the opposite, while mixed poorly, the vocals sound better to me towards the end when he's screaming, less clear as far as understanding what he is saying though. At least some of it sounds like the same lyrics, just delivered faster and louder. 

On 2020-03-26 at 5:39 AM, Oldest Goat said:

The sane; it's just a passing phase.

I never, never said I was sorry
Now all you've got's egg on ya face, no, you'll never learn

Pretty sure he says "pain" and not "sane". I don't hear an S sound at the beginning of the word.

I don't hear the word Egg in there, but it could be "Now don't you fall on your face now, you'll never learn".

• Like 1