Perhaps - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Why do you think that we never heard of this song? Is there a reason Catcher and Atlas got marquee billing in the years of rumor and innuendo?

I think it's because this song, more than any other song, feels like a part of another album - possibly the earliest version of Chinese Democracy. Call it 2000 Intentions.

This is what I always imagined Chinese would sound like after I bought the End Of Days soundtrack and obsessed about a new Guns N' Roses.

It has that cold, clinical feel to it with lots of dramatic turns and orchestration. The fidelity is LOW, further suggesting this track was one that came from the dinosaur ages of the late nineties. It's surprisingly strong, because any number of the leaks we got had definite weaknesses in terms of song quality and presentation - I am quite surprised at how much works here for a song nobody ever bigged up.

But yeah, the vibe of this song is very different from almost anything but TWAT. It sounds like a direction Axl pursued, then abandoned. 

29 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I find it funny how the majority of people here don’t talk highly of Robin’s playing, and there’s a solo on this song people can’t decide is Brian May (one of indisputable guitar legends) or Robin. Let that sink in for a second.

I actually think it’s Finck.

Well in Brian Mays defence people are stupid,

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I find it funny how the majority of people here don’t talk highly of Robin’s playing, and there’s a solo on this song people can’t decide is Brian May (one of indisputable guitar legends) or Robin. Let that sink in for a second.

I actually think it’s Finck.

I've actually had the same impression, the solo has an almost identical tone to Robin's solo in Catcher.

• GNFNR 1

41 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Why would anyone in his right mind choose to include If The World and Scraped over Perhaps and Hard School on Chinese Democracy and let these songs rot for eleven years on a hard drive ? Mind boggling...

They might have been intended for... ehm... "CD II". You know, the record that was to come definitely within a year or so after ChD. 

• Like 3

I know it's probably never gonna happen (prove me wrong @Dexter, go on!), but I don't see how this could ever be performed live. The chorus is too multi-layered. I guess he could get Melissa or Duff to sing the "you're all alone" part, but that would sound shitty. I guess that's the only way it's do-able.

Never gonna happen though.

Edited by Towelie
  • GNFNR 1

40 minutes ago, Ratbrain said:

Can anyone fill in the blanks or hear something different?

Perhaps I was wrong
When I didn't see you (hey hey)
Perhaps I was wrong  (hey)
Well I don't believe you
Well how will I know how it feels
What it is to be you
I've been so upset
Harbouring this hate for days (hey)
My sense of rejection (hey hey)
Is no excuse for my behaviour (ugh)
You pulled the gun (hey hey)
That shot I crucified my saviour
Now he is no more
And I am without you
Like I was before
The way I used to be  (ugh)
What a weight upon your shoulders 
That you don't need
My heart bleeds for me

(?????????????)
You're all alone now
(?????????????)
All alone
(?????????????)
You're all alone
Used to be a little crazy that was so much fun
You're all alone

Perhaps I was wrong (hey hey)
When I didn't see you (hey hey)
Perhaps I was wrong  (hey)
Well I don't believe you
Well how will I know how it feels
What it is to be you
I've been so upset
Harbouring this hate for days (ugh)
What a weight upon your shoulders 
That you don't need
My heart bleeds for me

Save me) Shine like more than a bomb you are (you’re all alone now)

(Save me) You could start a fight you know you were begging for (you’re all alone)

(Save me) So talk to the ones that you once ignored (you’re all alone )

Save me) You used to be a little crazy now there’s so much more (you’re all alone)

5 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Why would anyone in his right mind choose to include If The World and Scraped over Perhaps and Hard School on Chinese Democracy and let these songs rot for eleven years on a hard drive ? Mind boggling...

100% agree - Hard School is such a strange choice to leave out, it blends so well with the old style Guns and I love the BH guitar work. Since this hadn't leaked prior to the album this would of been a perfect first single, get it out to rock based radio and it would of got a lot of plays especially in 2008. Although the whole release of CD was so messed up!

Perhaps has that Illusions meets Industrial thing going on too.

Both of these tracks are the most old meets new guns songs so its an odd thought that they would be held over for the second album - surely you put these songs out first then move to the even further uncharted territory. But that would make sense but this is GnR that we are talking about :P

Edited by life_247
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ratbrain said:

Can anyone fill in the blanks or hear something different?

(?????????????)
You're all alone now
(?????????????)
All alone
(?????????????)
You're all alone
Used to be a little crazy that was so much fun
You're all alone

"I got a lot more than i bargained for 
You're all alone now
You forgot about the others you were begging for 
You're all alone
So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone now
You used to be a little crazy now there's so much more 
You're all alone"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

"I got a lot more than i bargained for 
You're all alone now
You forgot about the others you were begging for 
You're all alone
So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone now
You used to be a little crazy now there's so much more 
You're all alone"

This sounds about right from what I can make out. The first line is the hardest to get. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

I know it's probably never gonna happen (prove me wrong @Dexter, go on!), but I don't see how this could ever be performed live. The chorus is too multi-layered. I guess he could get Melissa or Duff to sing the "you're all alone" part, but that would sound shitty. I guess that's the only way it's do-able.

Never gonna happen though.

Exactly what you said: Melissa and Duff can handle the "you're all alone" or, I think it would be better live for the other part to be done by Melissa/Duff while Axl wails "you're all alone" over it. Yeah, it isn't multi-layered Axl vocals, but so what? Still cool.

Edited by GnR Chris