Perhaps - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

32 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Does anyone have any newer guesses as to the lyrics in the chorus? Even as it stands now the song is an all time favorite of mine and everyone I've ever played it for has instantly realized its potential as something special.

This came from a lyrics site. (Seems a tad off, probably a guess)

(Save me) Shine like more than a bomb you are
You're all alone now
(Save me) You could start a fight you know you were begging for
You're all alone
(Save me) So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone
(Save me) Used to be a little crazy now there's so much more
You're all alone

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

This came from a lyrics site. (Seems a tad off, probably a guess)

(Save me) Shine like more than a bomb you are
You're all alone now
(Save me) You could start a fight you know you were begging for
You're all alone
(Save me) So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone
(Save me) Used to be a little crazy now there's so much more
You're all alone

The second line doesn't fit... sounds more like "Used to stand up for the others you were beggin' for"

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The second line doesn't fit... sounds more like "Used to stand up for the others you were beggin' for"

Your second line sounds right, but I've never been sold on that first line. "Shine like more than a bomb you are"? What does that even mean? It seems clunky and weird. 

I could totally imagine Perhaps as a huge GNR comeback single in 2001, with a big budget UYI style video played regularly on MTV.

Even if we do ever get a new album it's safe to say we won't get any decent music videos to rival the 87-93 era. Which is a shame because the GNR videos are a big part of the bands legacy for me.

57 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Your second line sounds right, but I've never been sold on that first line. "Shine like more than a bomb you are"? What does that even mean? It seems clunky and weird. 

The first line almost sounds like "Shine like more than you bargained for" but that doesn't make a lot of sense either. It's hard to tell with the layered vocals.

10 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

Does anyone have any newer guesses as to the lyrics in the chorus? Even as it stands now the song is an all time favorite of mine and everyone I've ever played it for has instantly realized its potential as something special.

I said it before, and i still hear it as this:

"I got a lot more than i bargained for 
You're all alone now
You forgot about the others you were begging for 
You're all alone
So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone now
You used to be a little crazy now there's so much more 
You're all alone"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't like the chorus, because of all the layers. There's way too much going on as an attempt to hide that there is no great melody. Won't sound any good live or in an unplugged setting.

Way too many hay hays and uaaahhs in the verses.

I like the piano a lot though.

Perhaps this song is not for me. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I don't like the chorus, because of all the layers. There's way too much going on as an attempt to hide that there is no great melody. Won't sound any good live or in an unplugged setting.

Way too many hay hays and uaaahhs in the verses.

I like the piano a lot though.

Perhaps this song is not for me. ;)

I love the song, and I think the melody is awesome. But I agree: there's already too many layers. Or maybe it was the quality of the recording, a proper mixing/mastering could do it more justice (or worse lol).

So I was playing with the original file and removed the center channel (and the voice). You can hear more clearly the heavily processed rhythm guitar/FX during the verses. Also the rhythm in the bridge and the riff in the chorus (yes, there's a riff going on) all sound much more clear. And everything is 100% Robin Finck. Including the solo, which is seemly integrated to the chorus riff.

After the solo, the rhythm guitar/fx is actually different and even more "scratchy". It honestly sounds awesome to me and I dont have a clue why is so fucking buried in the mix. 

39 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

So I was playing with the original file and removed the center channel (and the voice). You can hear more clearly the heavily processed rhythm guitar/FX during the verses. Also the rhythm in the bridge and the riff in the chorus (yes, there's a riff going on) all sound much more clear. And everything is 100% Robin Finck. Including the solo, which is seemly integrated to the chorus riff.

After the solo, the rhythm guitar/fx is actually different and even more "scratchy". It honestly sounds awesome to me and I dont have a clue why is so fucking buried in the mix. 

CD also has some great guitar parts (I found in the multitrack) that I can't hear on the album. 

Nice findings!  I emailed Brian May a few days ago but have not heard back as of yet. Would be curious on his thoughts on Atlas, at least. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

CD also has some great guitar parts (I found in the multitrack) that I can't hear on the album. 

Nice findings!  I emailed Brian May a few days ago but have not heard back as of yet. Would be curious on his thoughts on Atlas, at least. 

Hope you get a reply. But I think he would be more careful to comment on an unreleased song after what happened with Catcher.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 4:59 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

I said it before, and i still hear it as this:

"I got a lot more than i bargained for 
You're all alone now
You're all alone
So talk to the ones that you once ignored
You're all alone now
You're all alone"

Yep sounds spot on to me. Thanks @Gordon Comstock for providing that snippet with cleaner vocals to help it; Axl certainly wasn't overstating it when he called them "Rough mixes"!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I tried isolating the vocals... I gave up trying to decipher the lyrics in the chorus a while ago, there's just too many vocal layers going on at once. I'm sure someone could do a better job, but if anyone's interested:

https://vocaroo.com/147nq026uL73

Impressive work! Technology these days amazes me. (And I work in IT)

On 10/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I tried isolating the vocals... I gave up trying to decipher the lyrics in the chorus a while ago, there's just too many vocal layers going on at once. I'm sure someone could do a better job, but if anyone's interested:

https://vocaroo.com/147nq026uL73

Nice job... Maybe you also could try it for "TheGeneral"  played in a club in Vienna.
(that horrible cell phone recording  I mean)

14 minutes ago, avahland said:

Nice job... Maybe you also could try it for "TheGeneral"  played in a club in Vienna.
(that horrible cell phone recording  I mean)

The Perhaps leak was in excellent quality, The General phone recording is far from ideal to extract audio of individual elements, I believe Evader tried and did the best possible job. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, Sweersa said:

The Perhaps leak was in excellent quality, The General phone recording is far from ideal to extract audio of individual elements, I believe Evader tried and did the best possible job. I could be wrong though.

What about doing it on the back end of State of Grace?

On 6/23/2020 at 3:52 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

The first line almost sounds like "Shine like more than you bargained for" but that doesn't make a lot of sense either. It's hard to tell with the layered vocals

Live Like A Suicide has it almost right. With two minor adjustments:

So now you got more than you bargained for

You’re all alone now

You're all alone

So talk to the ones that you want to ignore

You're all alone now

You're all alone

Edited by Flayer
  • Like 1