09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

On 9/17/2019 at 4:48 PM, Legendador said:

If you guys could chose:

3 1/2 hours of music (28+ songs) with Mickey Mouse voice.

or

1 hour with full on rasp UYI Tour style?

To me, watching what he did with AC/DC, he choses to sing like that (MM) for longer shows.

I agree with you. Axl paces himself for a 3 hour show. Me personally...I rather have an hour show with full rasp, but mix up the setlist every night. 

Or

Have an hour and half or 2 hour shows like someone else suggested. 

If the band/management were behind the leaks for promotional reasons, there would have been at least some reports about the story in the media and it wouldn't have been limited only on some forums (and not even htgth where there has been total silence about the leaks) that only a very small portion of the fanbase that goes to the shows visits.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, axl_on_drums said:

A band on total autio pilot. 

At least we have the leaks to remind us that for a good while Axl was driven. Not sure what went wrong. 

Time and Money. People get older. Priorities change. The same things don’t motivate them. The band has earned a ton of money the last 3 years. 90 percent of the audiences are casual fans. They don’t give a fuck about set lists or new songs or anything else a diehard fan cares about. Look there’s Axl. Look there’s Slash. Cool. Cool. 

Hard School just randomly appearing on a setlist and people claiming they heard them rehearse it is really fucking weird.

For the last 13+(?) years that song was nothing but a 20 second clip called Checkmate to us. Later it got referred to as Jackie Chan by Axl. Now it leaks, along with a bunch of other ChiDem outtakes and suddenly it appears on the setlist after all this time. With Slash. And Duff, who had nothing to do with that song in the first place. 

If neither GN'R or TB is behind all this then who is and what the hell is going on? Because this is just bizarre. And pleeeeeaaaaase don't add anymore of those demo's to the setlist and let them be what they are, demo's that didn't make Chinese Democracy. Scraped did. Some elephant noises did. These leaks didn't.

Okay I'm being too harsh, Atlas had a really cool vibe and I didn't hate the vocals. I just think Axl can sound a bit better than that. They can add that song to the setlist as well imho.

I really believe the band is trolling the fans by adding Hardschool to the list. It’s there way of telling us they see what’s going on with the leaks, maybe they think it’s serious but also somewhat funny, but I don’t think they have any intentions of playing the song

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

Oh BTW. While they're on it; I wouldn't mind a reworked Ain't Going Down l, Crash Diet or Move To The City. I love the first 2 and Move To The Cuty always had an unfinished feel to it.

I hate Move To The City so much sososos much, the worst GNR song for me. not even My World is as boring as that one to me

48 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

Hard School just randomly appearing on a setlist and people claiming they heard them rehearse it is really fucking weird.

For the last 13+(?) years that song was nothing but a 20 second clip called Checkmate to us. Later it got referred to as Jackie Chan by Axl. Now it leaks, along with a bunch of other ChiDem outtakes and suddenly it appears on the setlist after all this time. With Slash. And Duff, who had nothing to do with that song in the first place. 

If neither GN'R or TB is behind all this then who is and what the hell is going on? Because this is just bizarre. And pleeeeeaaaaase don't add anymore of those demo's to the setlist and let them be what they are, demo's that didn't make Chinese Democracy. Scraped did. Some elephant noises did. These leaks didn't.

Okay I'm being too harsh, Atlas had a really cool vibe and I didn't hate the vocals. I just think Axl can sound a bit better than that. They can add that song to the setlist as well imho.

It has been rumoured for a long time (and has even been confirmed by Slash and Duff) that they've been working or intend to work on so called "Chinese leftovers". And maybe HS is one of these songs. And maybe also since the leaks happened in the meantime, they said "fuck it, let's play one of these songs live;" or maybe they're just trolling the leaks like some people have suggested (I hope not).

We also can't be sure that Slash and particularly Duff had nothing to do with this song. The idea of it could have predated the CD era (it's something that's been speculated because Duff had mentioned a song for a Jackie Chan movie in 1996).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

I loved this show. Honestly I think Axl sounded genuinely good for this being the first show in months. I think that this show set the bar pretty high, because from now on Axl will get better and better.

My only critics are that this bloated 3hour-long setlist is getting annoying pretty fast. I wish they would rework a new one (I don't even mind them playing the same songs, but in a different order please), cut it down to 2 hours and remove all the bullshit covers and extended solos and intros. A pure 2 hour long setlist that suits Axl's voice is the way to go. And keeping a nice alternative list so things don't get monotonous.

Leaving that aside, I think it was a great show. Ferrer was the surprise of the night for me, he sounded amazing. And Axl's hair, I liked it. He needs to loose the beer belly and that would be a badass look.

9 minutes ago, Kira said:

I’m glad he cut his hair short, it looks better.  Also, the term “fat” is being overused here.  His arms, butt and legs are toned.  He just has a belly, big deal.  That’s not fat.

That is being overweight, the worst kind of overweight because it’s reeeeally bad for your heart, especially at his age.

7 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

I hate Move To The City so much sososos much, the worst GNR song for me. not even My World is as boring as that one to me

Really? I always had a thing for it. I like the rhytm guitar playing along Axl's lyrics, it's really subtle. I always thought it had potential. But everyone has their own taste of course. And I decided to completely ignore and forget about My World after hearing it once back when I was 14-15. I don't think the world will ever be ready for that song. :lol:

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

One would hope he recorded more than just ONE song with Axl recently!

Honestly, if some CD tracks weren't recorded after 2001, not even Richard would have recorded something wíth Axl. In 18 years. 

So don't joke about that man :lol:

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Haha 1

I now wonder if those songs were the ones Axl mentioned that he would like to have Slash play on if he decides to come back in the early 00's?

Also, I don't get the complaining about 3 hour shows. How many bands put on a great show for 3 hours these days? It's one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They have a setlist which has most of the hits, something for the hardcore fans (Coma, Yesterdays, Double Talkin' Jive, etc), the Chinese Democracy era fans and some covers, which aren't such a horrible deal (although they could change them to other ones by this point). The soundcheck songs are a bonus for the hardcore fans. I waited 9 hours for the show in Chorzow, and hearing them play T.W.A.T. during soundcheck was awesome.

I don't know. Paying as much as I did for tickets both times I saw them on the NITLT tour I was extremely happy when one show was 2h55 min and the other was 3h10. My favorite band playing such a long set? Why the hate? Let them decide for themselves.

I know it's been 3 years, but people are still hungry to see it. I mean we've been waiting since '93. Hell yes I'd see the same show 30 more times. I'd be glad to see changes, but maybe a few songs, not an entirely new set. Remember when people bitched about them not playing "You Could Be Mine" for ONE SHOW during the European leg?

That's what will happen if they switch the set around too much. GN'R fans are extremely hard to please. No wonder they're aiming for casuals.