09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

Last night was a fun show in a more  intimate setting .I had a great time as did my buddy’s but like others have stated it’s basically the same show for the last 3 years .I got slither (which went over great with the crowd and sounded solid ) shadow of your love and witchita lineman which I didn’t hear during previous 2 shows .What made this show a good experience for me was it’s setting .Having a chance to see Guns in a stripped down show was the only real reason I wanted to go .Having seen them over 10 times over a 30 year period I wouldn’t have attempted to go if show was at the forum or staples .The band sounded great Axl had his moments great and so so but overall he was pretty good and seemed to be in great spirits and more talkative then in recent past .The crowd seemed to eat it up and was lively though there was a lull during the later of half of set when things slow down considerably and a few parole made their way to exists but not many and most (probably 90%) stayed and were very involved .Idk or I doubt I’ll try and see them again not because it wasn’t a good show because eventually it reaches a saturation point .Just hoping for new music at some point

• Like 1

Good to see they are back on stage and people and enjoy it. But for me, I don't know...for me Axl was always some sort of progessive type of singer/songwriter, daring, driven, pushing, throughtful, soulful, reflective - none of that is left.

The transition from AFD to UYI and even CD was always up a notch, different, interesting, coming up with new ideas, new ways to do things - not anymore. The band is going through the motions and obviously loves it and their casual audience likes it too. Everybody wins, except a few hardcore fans.

Having followed the NITL tour and now watching the clips from last night I'm just grateful I saw them back when they still had an edge and got to see Axl when he was for real and had his moments during the CD years. Today everything I loved about this band is gone. Even the songs I love sound dead now, no energy and nothing new to wrap my head around either.

Not interested in the CD leftovers done with Bucket/Finck now being re-worked and re-recorded with Slash. To me the band is the exact opposite now from everything they once stood for and what made them so great.

5 minutes ago, gt72 said:

Last night was a fun show in a more  intimate setting .I had a great time as did my buddy’s but like others have stated it’s basically the same show for the last 3 years .I got slither (which went over great with the crowd and sounded solid ) shadow of your love and witchita lineman which I didn’t hear during previous 2 shows .What made this show a good experience for me was it’s setting .Having a chance to see Guns in a stripped down show was the only real reason I wanted to go .Having seen them over 10 times over a 30 year period I wouldn’t have attempted to go if show was at the forum or staples .The band sounded great Axl had his moments great and so so but overall he was pretty good and seemed to be in great spirits and more talkative then in recent past .The crowd seemed to eat it up and was lively though there was a lull during the later of half of set when things slow down considerably and a few parole made their way to exists but not many and most (probably 90%) stayed and were very involved .Idk or I doubt I’ll try and see them again not because it wasn’t a good show because eventually it reaches a saturation point .Just hoping for new music at some point

I’m watching the videos now and they sound great to me. Don’t know why there’s people bashing Axl, he did ok.

Axl’s new haircut looks really good.

I’m just disappointed about the same setlist, I’m hoping they change it for the next shows. It’s been 3 years, it’s getting boring like a predictable pop concert where you know exactly what’s going to happen.

2 minutes ago, something.always said:

Did you watch the same show? The entire last verse was mostly unintelligible. But it's not just about this one song. It's about the time and energy that could be spent doing other songs better. 

Sounded fine to me. It’s hard to make out exact words on the album. Was in tune and control from what I heard.

Axl sounded good! He definitely found his stride as the show went on. He was really chatty as well based on the live streams I saw, seemed he was in good spirits. That made me happy to see as a huge fan of Axl. 

I hope everyone there had a good time, although I can completely understand the "same old shit" mentality. I honestly don't think it's too much to ask for. The casuals won't notice or care enough about a minor change in the setlist. I'm hoping we'll see something as the tour rolls on. I'm seeing them at ACL, so would be nice to have a surprise there. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

Oh BTW. While they're on it; I wouldn't mind a reworked Ain't Going Down l, Crash Diet or Move To The City. I love the first 2 and Move To The Cuty always had an unfinished feel to it.

I think Axl could pull off Crash Diet, would love to hear that but his approach would be much much much lower range and would sound so much different (the whole song he sang in a way he can't pull off anymore)/ but I think it would be a GREAT addition that they can pull off.

Some people say that Axl is "often out of breath" which isn't true imo.. He was often out of breath in the 90s when he tried to hard and didn't know how to breathe properly, but I think his work with his vocal teacher fixed this, especially from 2016 on, no matter how much he sounds like Mickey Mouse, his breathing has improved so much, he is almost never out of breath and also in tune for most of the time

Btw the short hair cut rocks :headbang:

• Thanks 1

And regarding his voice yesterday, I have only heard Jungle and PC so far.. It seems like the rasp is not there but his clean voice sounds strong and controlled! PC sounds close to 2016 where he sang it clean but powerful (unlike the US run 2017 where he had that forced uncontrolled rasp) 

Jungle is clean as well but not Mickey sounding

What I always said was that the NITL set needed another Slash solo....🤣 these guys are fucking clueless, tour opener and they play the same tired old set. Why not come out of the gates swinging? This is a band that know they don't  have to work hard, because people still turn up. It's a pity! Yes there are alternate songs on the set! But that's far from a guarantee, how many years has Perfect Crime been an alternate? Exactly,  they haven't  played it once since it popped up on a set in what 2006/09 

They really should have swapped around the order.  After Civil war, there's about 25minutes where it's absolutely  boring. I'd take out that entire stretch, replace it with patience and deadhorse. There's  really no need to stretch the show out to 3hrs, you have to be a really due hard gnr defender not to admit that it sags in the middle. Too many solos, too much down time between songs! And it's far too predictable 3yrs in.

I'm interested  to see if they play hardschool m, dead horse and locomotive but I'm far from excited as a fan.

Edited by Tom2112

^ There's nothing wrong with playing a new song for that 15%, though.

When I saw them in 2017, I thought the setlist could've been a little more condensed. There were times where the energy kind of just fizzled a bit. But most of the people like those long shows, so it's cool, I guess.

Edited by jekylhyde