09/21/19 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium

downzy

8 hours ago, jorgeboz said:

In my humble opinion, the set list is perfectly fine. And there's no need of solos (unless it's because Axl needs to rest his voice) but, the setlist is predictable because there are no new songs.

It was perfect 3yrs ago. 3yrs later, same tour, same songs, same order... guess you can say that's fine, but most bands change the set each leg. Do you really want the audience that has seen the show 1, maybe 2 or more times already to know what songs you're going to play and what order they are coming at? No, no band wants that, but that's exactly what GNR are doing. 

There's great songs in the set, but it's far too bloated. I've seen the NITL set live twice, and both times it dragged hard in the middle. The pacing isn't good, starts great, ends great, middle is far too much noodling and breaks of the action. Even Heavens door is a drag live now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Creed said:

but being realistic, i would say only 15% of the audience would like to hear new stuff...the forum communities are superfans who don't represent the ticket buyers. gnr is a nostalgia act. the mainstream will hate silkworms.

Who the hell said anything about silkworms? 

I was talking about playing the same songs, some more old classics but changing around the order to keep it interesting. Also, if we're talking about the 85% we better take another look at that set, because Coma died a death at a lot of shows. Maybe they should only play SCOM, NV, Paradise city etc. or maybe they should put on a show that is entertaining and even if they do play an obscure or new song somewhere in the set, they won't lose huge portions of the crowd. 

Have you honestly went to see them and not been bored? I love the band, but the set was boring in places the first time for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Also, back on point. I thought from what I heard that it sounded ok, Axl was a bit weak but I've heard him much worse on tour openers in the past.

Edited by Tom2112

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I was talking about playing the same songs, some more old classics but changing around the order to keep it interesting. Also, if we're talking about the 85% we better take another look at that set, because Coma died a death at a lot of shows. Maybe they should only play SCOM, NV, Paradise city etc. or maybe they should put on a show that is entertaining and even if they do play an obscure or new song somewhere in the set, they won't lose huge portions of the crowd. 

Have you honestly went to see them and not been bored? I love the band, but the set was boring in places the first time for all the reasons I mentioned earlier.

no i saw them twice and i was dancing and singing the entire time

1 minute ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

no i saw them twice and i was dancing and singing the entire time

Ha! I'll need video evidence of you during the "Blues jam," if you can dance for 10 minutes while Slash gets off on some blues, good for you. I danced and sang along for most of the nights too, but I, along with thousands of others were staring at our watches about 1.5mins into the solo sections. I don't care who you are, if you solo for 10 minutes, you've lost half the room, well! outside of going to see an instrumental guitar show. And yes, that applies to the god named Slash, you can be a huge fan and still say something isn't great.

End of the day, if you enjoy it, great! I'm not trying to say it's a bad show... I just think it could easily be made much, much better while still giving Axl all the time he needs to rest his voice.

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The set seems boring because you know what’s coming. For 90% of the audience they don’t know and probably enjoy the covers as it’s a surprise. Most people don’t scour for past setlists before a show. Especially a stadium show crowd. 

They seem to have a set of songs they rehearse and prepare for a tour, the staples are played every night regardless and they’ll add some off of the alt list or even add a few new ones as the tour goes on. 

It’s night 1 and people are freaking out 

Just now, guitarpatch said:

The set seems boring because you know what’s coming. For 90% of the audience they don’t know and probably enjoy the covers as it’s a surprise. Most people don’t scour for past setlists before a show. Especially a stadium show crowd. 

They seem to have a set of songs they rehearse and prepare for a tour, the staples are played every night regardless and they’ll add some off of the alt list or even add a few new ones as the tour goes on. 

It’s night 1 and people are freaking out 

I didn't know what was coming the first time I went to the gig... it dragged then and it drags now, that's how I felt watching it in person and any time I've watched live videos. As I said to the other person, if you're happy go right ahead and enjoy it. I'm not sure I'd part with money to see this show again, but you and everyone else can. I can say all this, follow concert threads, be positive/critical/honest and still be a huge fan of the band. Here's a positive, I like that they didn't drop Shadow of your love.

Also, yes it's night one but I would faint if they changed the opener for the next gig. I'm well aware that a lot of people would be seeing the show for the first time and enjoy for that! but this is the 3rd or 4th LA show, the number of people who haven't seen this show is diminishing. They will play a few alt. songs, I appreciate this! But I honestly would be pleased with current set rearranged. I'm not the only one with this opinion, go back and read reviews from last year, when GNR were playing in cities they had played before reviewers were commenting on it... and a lot, but not all agreed that the show felt too long, blaming the breaks/solos and some of the more obscure songs.

57 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It was perfect 3yrs ago. 3yrs later, same tour, same songs, same order... guess you can say that's fine, but most bands change the set each leg. Do you really want the audience that has seen the show 1, maybe 2 or more times already to know what songs you're going to play and what order they are coming at? No, no band wants that, but that's exactly what GNR are doing. 

There's great songs in the set, but it's far too bloated. I've seen the NITL set live twice, and both times it dragged hard in the middle. The pacing isn't good, starts great, ends great, middle is far too much noodling and breaks of the action. Even Heavens door is a drag live now.

I tend to agree, however you and I know what to expect.  I’m wondering what it would feel like as a casual fan who is seeing it for the first time.  

I’ve seen them 3 other times on this tour and this was the first time I got to see SOYL and Slither, so I was stoked.  I saw them play Maddy in Philly and Sorry the year before, so the setlists were different for all 4 of the shows I’ve seen, albeit maybe only by 1-3 songs.  One night we got Patience, the other night Don’t Cry., etc. All good.  This isn’t Phish.

• Like 1

Wtf where did the videos go?

I watched live streams last night and some of the videos again today. They're definitely well rehearsed and tight and Frank has settled down a bit. Axl sounds same as usual, some rasp here and there and a good clean voice. Just hoping now for them to play some of those cuts off the alt list. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Wtf where did the videos go?

I watched live streams last night and some of the videos again today. They're definitely well rehearsed and tight and Frank has settled down a bit. Axl sounds same as usual, some rasp here and there and a good clean voice. Just hoping now for them to play some of those cuts off the alt list. 

It's the usual people.  They are now using the RIAA to impersonate 

I want..what THEY want. And what every other guy who spilled his cash for his favorite band wants. For the redhead to love US...as much as WE love him. THAT'S what I want. 

What mean Expendable John Rambo? It's like if a band treats you as a personal ATM and you don't get anything in return except the same old setlist.  It doesn't even matter to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Holy crap, no!!!  Every time I've seen GnR it's been amazing.  Saw them 3 times on the NITL tour and would gladly go 3 more.  How could I get bored watching one of the greatest hard rock bands ever?

Sounds like GnR isn't for you man 🧐