Eye On You - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

37 minutes ago, Legendador said:

I'm afraid that this is all that we have.

I mean, ALL THAT WE HAVE, AND ALL THAT WAS COMPLETE IN 20 YEARS!

Aside from that there's only the songs below with lyrics:

• Soul Monster
  • Quick Song
  • Zodiac
  • Nothing
  • The General

The rest is all instrumentals, right?

If that's all, Houston we have a big problem, because it's not that good, it is medium-good.

That’s all the stuff we have in the locker. The locker is not a complete collection of everything GNR worked on. Far from it. 

Maybe it's not bad bad, but it's NOT gnr. I could defend the chidem songs as being GNR (it would be a hard defense, but I could defend it).  This though?  This has literally 0 elements of the original GNR in it that you just can't even come close to calling this a GNR song. 

The one shame about this song is that Axl uses my absolute favorite voice of his during the "hey heys."  Wish he'd sing more songs in that style.  My favorite lines he sings like that are "I know you don't want to hear me crying/An I know you don't want to hear me deny" in Don't Damn Me.

Edited by dogman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogman said:

Maybe it's not bad bad, but it's NOT gnr. I could defend the chidem songs as being GNR (it would be a hard defense, but I could defend it).  This though?  This has literally 0 elements of the original GNR in it that you just can't even come close to calling this a GNR song. 

Yeah, I agree.  Whereas Perhaps and even State of Grace felt like an evolution of GNR's sound, this is something way out there. 

Even Axl doesn't really sound like old school Axl on this.  Without Axl's signature vocal sound and music that sounds nothing like GNR, it's difficult to associate this song with Guns in any real way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I agree.  Whereas Perhaps and even State of Grace felt like an evolution of GNR's sound, this is something way out there. 

Even Axl doesn't really sound like old school Axl on this.  Without Axl's signature vocal sound and music that sounds nothing like GNR, it's difficult to associate this song with Guns in any real way.

That’s a fair point. This is something I’d say could’ve been on the talked about “Axl Solo Album”. This song doesn’t even sound like Axl’s GNR. Still think this song is pretty awesome though. If this was the direction an Axl solo album would’ve taken I would’ve been really interested in it.

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Totally agree. Really experimental. 

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

I'm afraid that this is all that we have.

I mean, ALL THAT WE HAVE, AND ALL THAT WAS COMPLETE IN 20 YEARS!

Aside from that there's only the songs below with lyrics:

• Soul Monster
  • Quick Song
  • Zodiac
  • Nothing
  • The General

The rest is all instrumentals, right?

If that's all, Houston we have a big problem, because it's not that good, it is medium-good.

There’s also tonto (no vocals apparently on the locker version) Seven, Down by the Ocean, whatever songs Richard wrote with Axl that we don’t know about, and whatever new stuff current GNR has come up with. I’m actually expecting the next album to be very good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogman said:

Yeah, I had that same thought. I think there's a lot of space for change of direction, but this is worlds apart from GNR. I can only hear synth, is there even a guitar on the song? I wouldn't say every song has to have guitar but it certainly helps. I'm a hardcore CD defender and I had a firm stance that CD was a GNR record, but this song to me is For the Axl Rose solo album.

I'd never say that GNR has to sound one way or the other, but for me... if they were going to go down this route it would need to be a lot better before I'd come with them. 

• Like 1

I think this is Axl just arsing around in the studio, this is just meant to be a fun industrial track. Really don't think the "mac daddy" lyrics are meant to be taken seriously and think people are overreacting in response to that. Let's not forget these are rough demos.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, dogman said:

Axl uses my absolute favorite voice of his during the "hey heys."  Wish he'd sing more songs in that style.  My favorite lines he sings like that are "I know you don't want to hear me crying/An I know you don't want to hear me deny" in Don't Damn Me.

That's why I like the State of Grace leak the best. The first two verses sound amazing and his delivery gives it a really dark feel. 

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I think this is Axl just arsing around in the studio, this is just meant to be a fun industrial track. Really don't think the "mac daddy" lyrics are meant to be taken seriously and think people are overreacting in response to that. Let's not forget these are rough demos.

Yes, I was just about to write something similar.  

This could be a song in its beginning stages with Pitman laying down the foundation.  The idea could have been to interpolate it with guitars and a more rock-driven vibe.  I know Steven Tyler writes a lot of Aerosmith songs on the piano and they later get transposed to guitar.  

So we just don't know whether this was just a fun thing to try for those involved or whether there were designs to scale back the synth elements and bring in a more classic rock element. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gianluca87 said:

Sorry guys for the question... but who is macdaddy? what does it mean???

"Mac Daddy" or Mack Daddy, is a term used to describe a man with an unusual power over women, and is derived from the French and later Louisiana Creole patois term "maqereau", which means "pimp". Adding "daddy" makes it mean "top pimp". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Yes, I was just about to write something similar.  

This could be a song in its beginning stages with Pitman laying down the foundation.  The idea could have been to interpolate it with guitars and a more rock-driven vibe.  I know Steven Tyler writes a lot of Aerosmith songs on the piano and they later get transposed to guitar.  

So we just don't know whether this was just a fun thing to try for those involved or whether there were designs to scale back the synth elements and bring in a more classic rock element. 

Exactly! My guess is that this along with the recent Silkworms leak are basically "skeletons" of songs that just happen to also have vocals. During the chats Axl made it a point to mention that Silkworms (as it existed in 2008) had lots of guitars on it. If they continued to work on this track, I would imagine it would sound pretty different today.

5 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Exactly! My guess is that this along with the recent Silkworms leak are basically "skeletons" of songs that just happen to also have vocals. During the chats Axl made it a point to mention that Silkworms (as it existed in 2008) had lots of guitars on it. If they continued to work on this track, I would imagine it would sound pretty different today.

Yeah same with State of Grace, I’d think.

• Like 1

This is horrible and anyone who likes it is at ”will compliment the scent of Axl’s passed gas” level of stannery.

This is the first of the newly released songs I would say couldn't replace a song on cd.

And I don't meant to be hypercritical, there are no bad ideas in brainstorming, but idk how this one leaves the control board much less gets handed to an exec. 

Edited by TeeJay410
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1