Hard School on GNR's setlist!

I thought this deserved it's own separate conversation from the show thread, seeing how the implications of Hard School appearing as an "alt" on Saturday's setlist really cannot be overstated.

Not only does it tease what would be the first "original" new song performed by  Axl and Slash together since 1991, it also makes it a safe bet that this is what Slash has been working on in Axl's home studio on and off since the spring, possibly among others.

And, however unlikely, it would be awfully cool if this was the rumored track for the new Terminator flick. (Save your tomatoes) ; )

Yeah, it's awesome. I was really excited about that, but I hope this is something Slash and Duff had more input than just rerecording the lead. I trully hope the song got a total overhaul. 

2 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Unlikely since Hardschool was the title in 99. Axl mentioned the title as Jackie Chan in 08’.

I think its fake since the last setlist that surfaced was in a different order and also taken “from backstage”

Hard School was also present in the setlist that could be seen in the soundboard video and audience that surfaced. 

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

Throw in the fact they played it at sound check too. 

Is it confirmed that they played it at the soundcheck too? I only saw this mentioned on Twitter once.

• Like 1

It’s sure interesting. I don’t think this is what Axl and Slash we’re working on at his house. My theory is that Slash and Duff liked this the best of the leaked songs and the band decided to embrace one of the leaks, maybe Axl giving a shoutout to the “downloading motherfuckers”, something like that. I mean who knows, right? It may never get played- could be another anomoly like Oh My God. Could be a joke as well.

I will say, as skeptical a person as I am, this setlist is 100% real.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Did anyone who heard the soundcheck ever bother to say if it sounded different to the leak?

Someone from this forum who was there (can’t remember the username) said on the show thread that it sounded “waaaay different!”

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It may never get played- could be another anomoly like Oh My God. Could be a joke as well.

It was soundchecked tho so that increases its chances of making it to the surface. Then again, Riad was soundchecked in 2011 and never went anywhere.

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It’s sure interesting. I don’t think this is what Axl and Slash we’re working on at his house. My theory is that Slash and Duff liked this the best of the leaked songs and the band decided to embrace one of the leaks, maybe Axl giving a shoutout to the “downloading motherfuckers”, something like that. I mean who knows, right? It may never get played- could be another anomoly like Oh My God. Could be a joke as well.

I will say, as skeptical a person as I am, this setlist is 100% real.

It’s not that likely, but it’s not impossible either. I mean, once they saw these downloading sons of bitches had started to look very seriously for links in that regard, the MacDaddy said "we’re gonna have to do something about it guys, and soon is the word"...

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Someone from this forum who was there (can’t remember the username) said on the show thread that it sounded “waaaay different!”

Interesting. Would be good to know how different was, tho.

And I must say: the "Jackie Chen" title always bothered me. It's silly and has nothing to do with the lyrics. Hard School makes way more sense. 
Actually, are we sure that Axl was talking about Hard School when he mentioned Jackie Chen? 

• Like 2

Not to mention LOCOFUCKINGMOTIVE!!!! 

And Axl is up for still having a go at Twat which is interesting since TIL is totally MIA. I wonder if Slash's obvious lack of enthusiasm for it is part of the reason. It's interesting that he's seemed way more keen on particularly playing Buckets stuff faithfully and putting him over in interviews than Robin, although he's pretty faithful to Better. 

Oh yeah, and SO FUCKING FINE!!! 

Personally couldn't care less about Dead Donkey. I'd rather Breakdown or Right Next Door or Don't Cry Alt. I mean, geez, they could have kept all of us few hundred hardcores happy the last three and a half years just by alting one of these each show. I'd have been inclined to go to a bunch of UK shows instead of one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Interesting. Would be good to know how different was, tho.

And I must say: the "Jackie Chen" title always bothered me. It's silly and has nothing to do with the lyrics. Hard School makes way more sense. 
Actually, are we sure that Axl was talking about Hard School when he mentioned Jackie Chen? 

I always assumed it was nicknamed Jackie Chan because it was at one time considered to be released on the soundtrack to one of his movies. I don't actually think it was ever meant to be called that.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It was soundchecked tho so that increases its chances of making it to the surface. Then again, Riad was soundchecked in 2011 and never went anywhere.

I will say, considering it was soundchecked at the first show, it does lead to a possibility it will be played, but yeah, Oh My God has been soundchecked before (not with this lineup) and so did Riad (not with this lineup). At the end of the day Axl decided whether a song gets played or not. While I appreciate people yelling “Hard School” in the attempts of it being played, knowing Axl it may make him not want to play it. Or he may still be bitter about the leaks. It’s definitely an odd thing though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

More importantly, does anyone have a recording of the soundcheck?

This was already answered in the show thread. No, no one was recording. Kinda wish I did just to shut up that one guy on here who always calls BS, but :shrugs:

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I was kidding about is sounding different...

2 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I will say, considering it was soundchecked at the first show, it does lead to a possibility it will be played, but yeah, Oh My God has been soundchecked before (not with this lineup) and so did Riad (not with this lineup). At the end of the day Axl decided whether a song gets played or not. While I appreciate people yelling “Hard School” in the attempts of it being played, knowing Axl it may make him not want to play it. Or he may still be bitter about the leaks. It’s definitely an odd thing though.

This is a different scenario now. The band has recognized the leaks (it would be naive to think that they don't know about them) and chose to play one of those songs.

2 minutes ago, Sosso said:

This is a different scenario now. The band has recognized the leaks (it would be naive to think that they don't know about them) and chose to play one of those songs.

I don't think so. My theory is that Hard School was a song from the sessions before Slash left. If the rumors of Slash recording for Guns is true, I would guess that this would be one of the first songs he did if my theory is correct. In this case, I would say the leaks are actually a coincidence and Hard School is on the next record or EP or whatever they eventually put out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

They only had a couple of weeks to rehearse. It was probably easier for them not to change the song (aside from Slash's solo)

If that is the case, I would be disappointed (I know, I know). It would mean that neither Slash or Duff really worked in this song at the studio, and the inclusion on the setlist is mere a reaction to the leak.