Rough Mixes CD #1 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

8 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

Funny, Where is the This I Love and Scraped demos? 

This I Love was a song made during the UYI tour. Only one demo tape of it existed and Axl had it destroyed when the Chinese Democracy sessions started in 1998. He made sure it was destroyed before a backup could be made (the engineer at the time, Dave Dominguez, confirmed this). It wasn’t until like 2007 or so when Robin Finck convinced Axl to bring that song back from the dead at the very last minute (at least that’s what Axl said in the 2008 forum chats).

im assuming Scraped was another Buckethead improv recorded some time between 2001-2004 that Axl then added lyrics to much later, probably also close to the album’s completion, like This I Love and Shcakler’s.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, kok said:

Unfortunatelly no vocals or Buckethead on the leaked electric KOHD

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it’s a bummer :( guess Bucket wasn’t in the studio that day or something.

4 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

The date of the disc is 10/8/01 - there were reports Buckethead got kind of fucked up by 9/11, so maybe he took a month off

Buckethead plays the solo and some of the "whale" sounds (kinda like Estranged before the second solo) in KOHD. It's almost the same as he played in the 2001/02 live versions.

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

This I Love was a song made during the UYI tour. Only one demo tape of it existed and Axl had it destroyed when the Chinese Democracy sessions started in 1998. He made sure it was destroyed before a backup could be made (the engineer at the time, Dave Dominguez, confirmed this). It wasn’t until like 2007 or so when Robin Finck convinced Axl to bring that song back from the dead at the very last minute (at least that’s what Axl said in the 2008 forum chats).

im assuming Scraped was another Buckethead improv recorded some time between 2001-2004 that Axl then added lyrics to much later, probably also close to the album’s completion, like This I Love and Shcakler’s.

Curious how the TIL story even went down .. If that tape had been destroyed for that long how did Finck even know or remember about it?

So looking at the Dates I still think this is the Roy Thomas Baker work post those two 2001 shows (HoB on NYE and RIR3). So I believe this is Brain on drums but can’t be too certain on that front.

EDIT: No it’s not! It’s the work that was done in 2000 - sorry being an idiot. But it does sound very different to the 1999 leaks:

This first disc sounds very like the Illusions meets queen, versus the 1999 stuff which sounded much more like the Industrial sound Axl talked about.

Those after Bucket stuff, looking at the leaks the second CD could well be all Bucket/Brain demo!

Edited by life_247

3 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Can anyone tell if the drums are all Josh Fresse or some of the songs has Brain on it?

Bit of confusion on this point. I need to listen to it again versus the 99 Freese version (It leaked first). Brain and Bucket joined together in 2000 as both Finck and Freese left when their contracts ran out in 1999 (Freese at least said they were all under contract for 2 years 97-99 and he had to decide to renew or go and do something else).

Just now, life_247 said:

Bit of confusion on this point. I need to listen to it again versus the 99 Freese version (It leaked first). Brain and Bucket joined together in 2000 as both Finck and Freese left when their contracts ran out in 1999 (Freese at least said they were all under contract for 2 years 97-99 and he had to decide to renew or go and do something else).

Yeah... I know that Bucket arrived late 99, early 00... But I'm almost sure that Brain joined after the first half of 2000

Ezrin did more to screw with Axl’s brain than Slash and the rest of the old members combined. This is what it was originally supposed to sound like and had it came out in this form we would all be having much different conversations 19 years later. What we received in 2008 was a still unfinished (in Axl’s mind) album because the higher ups all told him the majority of its sucked.  Tom was THE guy to get this album finished and released at the beginning of the millennium. Shame it never happened the way it was supposed to. 

Edited by HollyWoodRose84
  • Like 3

Imma be real: I love the new songs that leaked. But I long felt the next GnR record would utilize some or all of the stuff in Axl's "vault." And if we now get a new record with reworked "State of Grace," "Hard School," "Atlas Shrugged," "Perhaps," and "Eye On You," it's gonna be AWESOME, but not have that same level of, "Holy shit, a new Guns N' Roses record with Slash and Axl." Even with that said, I still hope these tracks make a studio release, or at least a bonus EP. But to ask for a bonus EP on top of a new record from a band that doesn't have a prolific output is like asking the grass to grow in purple.

Edited by GnR Chris

5 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Imma be real: I love the new songs that leaked. But I long felt the next GnR record would utilize some or all of the stuff in Axl's "vault." And if we now get a new record with reworked "State of Grace," "Hard School," "Atlas Shrugged," "Perhaps," and "Eye On You," it's gonna be AWESOME, but not have that same level of, "Holy shit, a new Guns N' Roses record with Slash and Axl." Even with that said, I still hope these tracks make a studio release, or at least a bonus EP. But to ask for a bonus EP on top of a new record from a band that doesn't have a prolific output is like asking the grass to grow in purple.

Honestly, if Axl and Slash put out an E.P. or album together, I'm just going to marvel at it's very existence regardless of whether they're reworked Chi Dem era tracks or otherwise.

I miss the epic bass during the Atlas solo on this version, I prefer the previous leak of it more.

Also is Shacklers Revenge supposed to have vocals on the 2000 version? No right? But the title existed? Those lyrics would have to be completely different then since it was written about that Virginia Tech massacre which happened way later

1 hour ago, life_247 said:

I did an “A/B” between the Maddy on RMCD1 and the Brain Remix CD that had “old Josh drums” tagged after Maddy and they sounded the same.

Where to start? Firstly, how awesome to see so much positivity from everyone! 

This is some album. So much more room for the music to breathe vs the album we got. There is a swagger in these cuts that wasnt there in the massively overproduced 2008 release. The tracks feel more instinctive. More organic. More original. The 2008 versions feel over compensatory in comparison. Like Axl wasnt confident and that led to the suffocating production. 

Maddy is a great opener and a better version. The Blues is far superior too. Perhaps is class. Riad is a big surpise, new appreciation for that track. The added bass in many tracks is very much welcome too.

TWAT misses Bucket's solo and i'm not sure Atlas is quite as good as it could be. There is a great song in there somewhere though and I dig it in its current guise. 

Agreed with everyone who says this thread should blow up and I too hope Axl sees it. He was right first time round and this is the album we surely should have got. Happy day to be a Guns fan.