Rough Mixes CD #1 Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and the award for the most stupid producer goes to:

Axl was right. Of course that motherfucker was right. One of the best songwriters of our generation couldn't be wrong about songs he worked so hard to release in 2000. I'm so mad at the producers who

1 hour ago, life_247 said:

Bit of confusion on this point. I need to listen to it again versus the 99 Freese version (It leaked first). Brain and Bucket joined together in 2000 as both Finck and Freese left when their contracts ran out in 1999 (Freese at least said they were all under contract for 2 years 97-99 and he had to decide to renew or go and do something else).

I did an “A/B” between the Maddy on RMCD1 and the Brain Remix CD that had “old Josh drums” tagged after Maddy and they sounded the same.

Where to start? Firstly, how awesome to see so much positivity from everyone! 

This is some album. So much more room for the music to breathe vs the album we got. There is a swagger in these cuts that wasnt there in the massively overproduced 2008 release. The tracks feel more instinctive. More organic. More original. The 2008 versions feel over compensatory in comparison. Like Axl wasnt confident and that led to the suffocating production. 

Maddy is a great opener and a better version. The Blues is far superior too. Perhaps is class. Riad is a big surpise, new appreciation for that track. The added bass in many tracks is very much welcome too.

TWAT misses Bucket's solo and i'm not sure Atlas is quite as good as it could be. There is a great song in there somewhere though and I dig it in its current guise. 

Agreed with everyone who says this thread should blow up and I too hope Axl sees it. He was right first time round and this is the album we surely should have got. Happy day to be a Guns fan.

Only thing on this cd that sounds good to me is Atlas.... that's a really good polished version, but anyway.... atlas starts off so good and just when you think it's leading somewhere epic it falls flat.

i don't care about any of the instrumentals really, sure they're entertaining but without Axl singing it's not GNR to me. 

New unheard songs w/lyrics or gtfo 

19 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

The date of the disc is 10/8/01 - there were reports Buckethead got kind of fucked up by 9/11, so maybe he took a month off

what do you mean fucked up?
I remember that at certain point in 01 or 02 buckethead had some health issues, but don't remember what exactly it was. IIRC correctly, someone from the band found him fainted at his place or something like that. 

2 hours ago, username05 said:

what do you mean fucked up?
I remember that at certain point in 01 or 02 buckethead had some health issues, but don't remember what exactly it was. IIRC correctly, someone from the band found him fainted at his place or something like that. 

He was angry and wanted to join the military

love the TWAT intro on this.

Vocals seem to be a lot less Autotuned and much better positioned in the mix.

Instrumentals on the album are amazing and at certain songs its hard to take in the whole music because of the overpowering of the vocals in the mix. 

Edited by username05

I've listened to this disc a good 20 times over now - for the most part I'm really digging it. Madagascar on this is the best it's ever sounded IMO - so much more powerful than the neutered version on the final album. Perhaps sounds stellar compared to the first leak. The Blues has some serious punch to it. I still haven't decided how I feel about this version of Atlas Shrugged - it feels a little...tame compared to the other versions. While the drums are a more appropriate level in the mix, they feel a little soft. Part of me likes how raw Axl's vocals are on the other versions compared to this. I'll go against the grain and say I think the bit going on over the chorus is needlessly crowding the song. 

38 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

So, I know that Brian May has played on Catcher and Atlas in the previous leaks. I’ve also heard that he played on Perhaps, but do the versions on this disc have him? 

The jury is still out on that - some people think it's indeed Brian, some people think it's Finck. Personally, it sounds more like May than Finck to me. But there's no sort of confirmation from any official sources that Brian actually played on Perhaps at all, just speculation. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

The jury is still out on that - some people think it's indeed Brian, some people think it's Finck. Personally, it sounds more like May than Finck to me. But there's no sort of confirmation from any official sources that Brian actually played on Perhaps at all, just speculation. 

So is that just for Perhaps or is it for the songs on the rough mixes?

I remember when Catcher leaked in 2006, someone sent it to May and he posted about it on social media. Maybe that's an option now? Does he have a confirmed twitter or instagram we could send a link too? 

1 hour ago, Ninjapie24 said:

So is that just for Perhaps or is it for the songs on the rough mixes?

If anything, it’s just Catcher, Atlas, and Perhaps. Brian confirmed back in 2006 he recorded on three tracks, but the third was never said what track it was. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

If anything, it’s just Catcher, Atlas, and Perhaps. Brian confirmed back in 2006 he recorded on three tracks, but the third was never said what track it was. 

I’d only heard of him playing on Catcher before these leaks happen, so it’s cool to see that one of my favorite guitarists was working with Axl during that time

• 1 year later...