Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst

Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst  

503 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:50 PM, Gold top 78 said:

Slash by a mile :slash: then Izzy then the rest don’t matter as much to me 

Some of you put Izzy last. How can you put him last on his own creation, lol.    Axl does not have a great voice. I like Barry Manilow. His voice is soothing, nice. Maybe h3 can ding WTTJungle or  Patience  better.  Lol.  Axl is perfrct and the greatest for GnR because he is GnR and it is his shit, lol. He only wrote, produced, edited, changed, scratched out music and words ,recorded, sold, promoted etc.   HIS music.  Barry Manilow is wonderful and no one in the world can sing Mandy like him, lok.  I would not like to hear Axl sing , record Weekend in New England, lol. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amaya said:

Some of you put Izzy last. How can you put him last on his own creation, lol.    Axl does not have a great voice. I like Barry Manilow. His voice is soothing, nice. Axl is perfrct and the greatest for GnR because he is GnR and it is his shit, lol. He only wrote, produced, edited, changed, scratched out music and words ,recorded, sold, promoted etc.   HIS music.  Barry Manilow is wonderful and no one in the world can Mandy like him, lok. 

I don’t know if you meant to quote me but I put Izzy 2nd after Slash then I don’t care about any of the CD era guitarists on the list so I didn’t put Izzy last. :shrugs:

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

I voted Slash but I agree with others about it depends on what we are talking about here. 

I mean Slash is the best Guitarist for Guns and one of my fave guitarists but this does not take away from the talent of all the others on the list. 

There is something I like about all of them and Bucketheads skills can't be denied. I think they are all talented and I enjoy Fortus live performance. 

I think this poll surprised me to see many admit that others are great and even some saying better than Slash. While I still think that Slash is the best fit for GnR there are others on the list that bring other things to GnR I really enjoyed.

I also want to add to those getting mad some Ranked Izzy down read the question of the poll. It does not ask which guitarist is the best fit but the best GnR guitarist. It is also why I hesitated and almost chose differently in my first choice. 

Izzy is a great guitarist but many on the list could be better according to some people's opinions.

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 1

1. Slash, he is the sound of Guns basically, whether it's new or old slash, he is the sound of this band.

2. Robin Fink, he brought a totally new sound to Guns which in my opinion is very good.

3. Izzy Stradlin, the backend of any pre-chinese song

4. Buckethead, he brought a higher technical skill that gnr needed to sound fresh and new

5. Fortus, he is the best replacement for Izzy, he is able to play buckethead's stuff and has cool solos 

6. Bumblefoot, while he was necesarry to the band at that point in time when BH left, his sound is not as important and not as significant for guns

7. DJ Ashba - water

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Slash is the best GnR guitarist for GnR  plating GnR music that  he wrote. Slash is the best Slash there is. No can be a better Slash than Slash or  interpret Slash'smusic than Slash.  He kniws what he wrote, how and why he wrote and needs no one to help him interpret his music.                                                            Likewise,  I don't see how anyone can be better techincally  or anyway   or   interpret what Izzy wrote than Izzy of  Izzy music that he wrote .                                                                                   I  get the guy is long gone,  decades gone,  never to return, is retired but this is like saying like Keirh Richards is not really that  best of a guitarists for The RS. Lol.   He is the best for himself and of what he wrote.  I can understand Keith Richards is not best say, to cover GnR or The Beatles. Ok. Fine.     How can Izzy not be the best guitarist of  only what he wrote?                                                                      Yes, good topic, but we have like 5 different   subjects going on here.  I agree with @BOSSY78 there.                    

Edited by Amaya

• 1 month later...

Lead: Slash, Finck, Bucket, Bumble and, if we really have to, Ashba.

As much as I technically much prefer Bucket,  Slash is simply irreplaceable in this list. Close second to me is Finck, great writing contributions and a tasteful but impactful expression with the guitar, he was an unusually perfect fit for GnR. Too bad nobody could possibly fill Slash's void.

Rhythm: Izzy, Huge, Fortus and Gilby.

Here the comparison is laughable, I put Huge above the others cause of songwriting contributions.

As long as people don’t realize that certain things cannot be compared, there will always be all these useless charts. Some things can’t be put on this hypothetical single vertical ladder; they coexist next to each other horizontally, perhaps on individual, separate ladders (if to be compared with things that are alike). 
Therefore, Slash is neither better nor worse than e.g. Buckethead, and vice versa. The only thing they have in common is guitar and membership in GN’R... which would theoretically ask for a comparison, but that would still be faulty. We probably can compare Mustaine with Hammett or maybe, just maybe, BBF with BH, but not Slash with Izzy and definitely not Izzy with BBF, that’s just ridiculous. 
Anyway, good morning, everyone. 

1. Slash

Propably my favorite guitarist of all times. No, he's not technically as skilled as many and no, he's not that great of a songwriter, but he's created some of the greatest guitar solos of all times, he's got an amazing raw but beautiful sound to his playing and I'm sure that Axl will get the best out of him on the next album as well.

2. Buckethead

Technically on another level but he's written some pretty emotional stuff as well. I enjoy his solo material probably most out of all GNR guitarists. What he did on the Chinese Democracy album was incredible, but if the goofy ending of Hard School was his idea, then he doesn't really seem to understand GNR.

3. Izzy

Without a doubt an amazing songwriter, but he needs others to truly shine. His solo material is a bit boring if you ask me.

4. Robin Finck

He's done some outstanding work for GNR. I'm especially greatful for Better. One of my favorite songs. That being said I often dislike the tone of his guitar. And when I hear it, it makes me miss Slash.

5. Bumblefoot

I always liked the guy. He's got a great personality and he's technically a beast of a guitar player. I also love all of his contibutions on the Chinese Democracy album. His guitar tone is just right etc... I'm not sure how good of a songwriter he is though. I like some of his solo material, but if that album "Little brother is watching" is something that he offered to Axl as GNR material, then I totally understand why Axl rejected it.

6. Richard Fortus

Amazing potential here. Now that people like Buckethead and Bumblefoot are gone, he's had the chance to truly show his technical skills. That being said we still haven't heard much of what he's actually written for GNR, so it remains to be seen how great he really is.

7. DJ Ashba

I never had anything against him. I though he was a pretty good guitar player live. That Better remix of his was pretty interesting although maybe a bit too emo for GNR. Hated his guitar tone on Ballad of death and Mi Amore. Still, I'm not saying that he would have been terrible for GNR, cause we never got to hear how a GNR album with Ashba would have sounded like.

Edited by Lies They Tell

Izzy is my favorite guitar player for guns, because my favorite riffs in guns songs are all played by him. reckless life, right next door to hell, it's so easy first come to mind, and they're all Izzy.

Slash has great feel in his solo's, but everyone knows that the meat and bones of a rock song is the rhythm guitar. Solo's are just icing on the cake.

• Like 1