Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst

Rank the Best Gn'R Guitarist from Best to Worst  

503 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I mean you can totally prefer Robin to Slash in a general basis, but when we’re talking about GN’R it just makes no sense to me, it’s like picking Jimmy Crespo instead of Joe Perry for Aerosmith.

I mean, it’s no secret that Slash is one of the biggest “IT” factors that made the band what it is.

For you lol. It's not supposed to make sense, in the context of Gn'R or not. It doesn't make sense to me that most people prefer Iron Maiden with Dickinson. Doesn't make sense at all. Or AC/DC without Bon Scott, or Van Halen without David Lee Roth. But a lot of people get off on those other line ups that I feel are inferior.

If you prefer the sounds other guitar player makes over what Slash did in Guns, that's perfectly logical. It is irrelevant how great you think Slash is cause it's a different person that is listening to the music. There is no right answer here, no matter what anyone says.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 30. 11. 2019. at 7:28 PM, lame ass security said:

I googled Time magazine greatest guitarists but I don't think the list that came up was from Time. Then I saw the issue that you were referring to.  My mistake.  

Don't worry, we are all human and basically every magazin I know made a different poll sometime.

I remember that TIME beacuse we had prescription and I was Slash megafan from day 1, I always said he is all around best guitar player in the history but he's got the same problem like Bonham and drummers.  Jimmi will always be mentioned as #1 just like Bonzo, no matter what happens in the future, as he was a pioneer and passed away very early in his life.  With that TIME, I felt big satisfaction.

I appreciate, unlike most posters, you actually dug the info and accepted to come back here and admit that.  Big PLUS for that!

Btw., I tried to search for that list myself last few days but couldn't find it, can you post a link?  Cheers!

Slash hands down. Helped write and contributed to 90% of the catalogue and overall band image. Izzy deserves a mention for his writing.

Buckethead is talented no doubt but a small footnote in GNR history. He knew Nu Guns was going nowhere and bailed. 

Finck and Ashba butchered so many solos. 

Fortus is a talented session player with cringey  bad stage moves. 

Ron was a good player and the only member of Nu Guns with enough balls to complain about the lack of band activity. He knew Nu Guns was a joke as well after a few years.

Edited by jacdaniel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Don't worry, we are all human and basically every magazin I know made a different poll sometime.

I remember that TIME beacuse we had prescription and I was Slash megafan from day 1, I always said he is all around best guitar player in the history but he's got the same problem like Bonham and drummers.  Jimmi will always be mentioned as #1 just like Bonzo, no matter what happens in the future, as he was a pioneer and passed away very early in his life.  With that TIME, I felt big satisfaction.

I appreciate, unlike most posters, you actually dug the info and accepted to come back here and admit that.  Big PLUS for that!

Btw., I tried to search for that list myself last few days but couldn't find it, can you post a link?  Cheers!

Sure, I think this is it.http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1916544_1921910,00.html

On 9/24/2019 at 6:26 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Slash is the best guitarist for Guns, Buckethead is the best guitarist overall.

It's utterly amazing to me how many fans foolishly believe perceived technical ability is some kind of overarching factor in determining what makes a guitarist better than another.

One guitarist is world renowned by casual and hardcore fans alike and has written absolute classic guitar riffs and solos also far more well known and loved than the other. And there's good reason for that. Because he appeals to a lot more fans. And even those in the business, who reach out for SLASH's assistance a lot more than freaking Buckethead. Again, there's good reason for that.

Clearly the majority of this site understands that, which is why SLASH has 3 times the votes. And if you polled the rest of the world, the numbers would skew in SLASH's favor many times more.

SLASH is in an elite stratosphere of guitarists. A place Buckethead will never reach. Ever.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Majority rules. It's what determines many truths in our lives. What's considered good, what's considered bad. What the color the sky is called. And everything in between.

Buckethead certainly has a legion of fans. Like many other guitar players. Music truly is subjective to the listener. But to state something as fact when it's clearly not supported by anything tangible is flawed.

In most ways you can possibly measure, SLASH garners a lot more support in this regard. Magazine lists. Internet searches. Ticket sales. Album sales. Popularity amongst casual and hardcore fans. A lot more people across the world find SLASH to be a more appealing guitarist. Doesn't matter what the perceived technical ability between the two is. SLASH's playing style, sound and presence is at a different level in the eyes of the masses.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

SLASH is in an elite stratosphere of guitarists. A place Buckethead will never reach. Ever.

That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Majority rules. It's what determines many truths in our lives. What's considered good, what's considered bad. What the color the sky is called. And everything in between.

Buckethead certainly has a legion of fans. Like many other guitar players. Music truly is subjective to the listener. But to state something as fact when it's clearly not supported by anything tangible is flawed.

In most ways you can possibly measure, SLASH garners a lot more support in this regard. Magazine lists. Internet searches. Ticket sales. Album sales. Popularity amongst casual and hardcore fans. A lot more people across the world find SLASH to be a more appealing guitarist. Doesn't matter what the perceived technical ability between the two is. SLASH's playing style, sound and presence is at a different level in the eyes of the masses.

Bucket has already reached that place in the "elite stratosphere". In his genre. His musical interests are different. Slash mainly focuses on hard rock and he does it like no other. My guess is Bucket is in that 1% of guitarists the best of the best. What's considered good doesn't determine what you like or at least not really/it shouldn't. It's an indication you've got a style that speaks to a lot of people which has it's value but if you appeal to a smaller following it could be that your genre is just less popular cause it's a niche thing.

Bucket is world renowned too. He was famous before Gn'R and his technical ability does mean that he can do certain things Slash could never do. More tools at his disposal and it's not only shred guitar 100% of the time. A lot of it is hard rock, it's just that he likes other things as well.

Edit: Ozzy wanted Bucket to play in his band but didn't "get" Bucket's shtick. He still said Bucket "plays like a motherfucker" and Slash has also praised Bucket saying he is "a fuckin' amazing guitar player". So even in the hard rock circle he is highly regarded.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

On 2019-12-03 at 8:59 AM, thunderram said:

It's utterly amazing to me how many fans foolishly believe perceived technical ability is some kind of overarching factor in determining what makes a guitarist better than another.

One guitarist is world renowned by casual and hardcore fans alike and has written absolute classic guitar riffs and solos also far more well known and loved than the other. And there's good reason for that. Because he appeals to a lot more fans. And even those in the business, who reach out for SLASH's assistance a lot more than freaking Buckethead. Again, there's good reason for that.

Clearly the majority of this site understands that, which is why SLASH has 3 times the votes. And if you polled the rest of the world, the numbers would skew in SLASH's favor many times more.

Like I said: Slash is the best guitar player for Guns N' Roses, but Buckethead is the overall better guitar player. I don't care about popularity :lol:

I know Slash is a legend, but that doesn't have any impact on how respected Buckethead is as a guitar player. The guy can pretty much do it all - rock, metal, funk, acoustic ballads, haunting ambience... his discography is so vast that it takes a while to really pick out the gems, and there's plenty of stuff he's released that I don't care for, but he's still released dozens of great records. Some people like to write him off as a robotic shredder, or just a gimmicky guitarist, but the guy is seriously the best guitar player I've ever heard. He's written some truly beautiful pieces of music. He can write soulful solos and melodies just as well as Slash can, IMO.

Not sure why you read my post as a fact though, this is obviously my opinion.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
spelling

1 hour ago, username said:

1. Slash
Created some of the most iconic rock music in the world with GnR. Obvious choice. 

2. Izzy
See Slash. Less prominent in playing, maybe more prominent in songwriting. 

3. Robin Finck
Going by Rough Mixes he created tons of amazing stuff. Seems a real big part from building the new Guns n' Roses. Underrated as fuck. Poor fit in 2001/2002 image-wise, but looked cool as hell in 2006. 

4. Paul Tobias 
See Robin Finck but as a rhythm guitarist. 

5. Buckethead
Easily the most skilled player GnR had, but a terrible fit image-wise. Created some really cool stuff though. Difficult to judge unless we hear more of his work with GnR. Not a fan of Sorry and Shacklers personally. 

6. Richard Fortus
Does a great job live, still no clue how he'd work with GnR in the studio because GnR is shit at releasing music. 

7. Bumblefoot
Did a good job live, but I really didn't like his additions to the studio stuff, especially the leaks. 

8. Random guitarplayers on YouTube playing GnR songs.

9. My 2 year old daughter who's never played a guitar in her life.

10. Literally everybody else in the world.

11. DJ Ashba
Words can not describe how astronomically shit he is. When actual shit wants to comment on how terrible something is, it calls that thing "Ashba". 

So Ashba is your least favorite?

• Like 1