Open Letter to Axl & my opinon about the CD Era

D..

Why do you think that you know everything and have heard everything simply by some CDs from one locker?

What if there are another 150 CDs?

Or you really think that that's all that band did during those years? We just have a small portion of background things went to our hands.

Edited by Gunnerfan_rus
  • Like 2

Even if Axl lurked here, which I doubt, there's no way he'll read that wall of text.  I didn't read it either.

But fuck it...let's pretend Axl really is lurking here and reading shit we write....in that case I just wanna say "sorry" for saying you were full of shit for 20 years and had only recorded the stuff that was released.  I see now that I was wrong.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, seely said:

A lot of assumptions there. Who knows how much other stuff was worked on before and after that time. Just because instrumental versions are all that leaked doesn't mean that lyrics aren't done and vocals aren't there on other versions.

Out of so many CD's and different versions from the same time period, I think it's safe to assume all of the vocals that were recorded are on there. It's possible Axl knew how to sing some of them (like Oklahoma) and had lyrics prepared, but he didn't record it.

3 minutes ago, Gunnerfan_rus said:

Why do you think that you know everything and have heard everything simply by some CDs from one locker?

What if there are another 150 CDs?

Or you really think that that's all that band did during those years? We just have a small portion of background things went to our hands.

"That's all that band did during those years". That's already a lot, instrumentally speaking, for such a short time period (1999-2001). I do think that's pretty much it for those years. 

For example. Oh My God isn’t included on these discs. We have no idea how many songs had vocals by the year 2000. Let alone what he had completed afterwards 

Also at the very least even if they were working on around 20 songs for an album during that period, that’s not a bad number and pretty typical for most artists 

Like said above, this is just stuff from 1999–2000/2001. There could be tons of other material as far as we know. E.g. there is that TIL version with Axl’s divine raspy vocals (the best I’ve heard from him to date, studio or live) that no one knows when it was recorded. Then the newer guys like BBF worked on something, and Axl had plenty of time in those idle times between tour legs to work on new material. This whole bunch is really just a snippet, nothing to base huge conclusions on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, D.. said:

"That's all that band did during those years". That's already a lot, instrumentally speaking, for such a short time period (1999-2001). I do think that's pretty much it for those years. 

I don't think that's a lot for a huge band wrighting not their first album. Bon Jovi make around 50 demos for each album for example.

5 minutes ago, action said:

lol, imagine criticising an artist for not singing on songs, that were leaked without the artist's consent. This is some new levels of fan entitlement.

he did release chinese democracy, arguably the best of the bunch of songs, or what he thought so.

If Axl doesn't release a single song anymore, ever, then that's his good right. It will be a pity and a disapointment, sure, but we've got no right to criticise an artist for that decision.

agreed. One would think that ppl would understand that artist integrity comes first... and that they create art for them self, and not for audience. 
Those who don't should really read Atlas Shrugged and The fountainhead, Axl would have the right to burn it... because its his creation. 

excerpt from The Fountainhead movie (predecessor to Atlas Shrugged by same author, Ayn Rand)

Howard Roark: defense (of Axl):

Edited by username05
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Like said above, this is just stuff from 1999–2000/2001. There could be tons of other material as far as we know. E.g. there is that TIL version with Axl’s divine raspy vocals (the best I’ve heard from him to date, studio or live) that no one knows when it was recorded. Then the newer guys like BBF worked on something, and Axl had plenty of time in those idle times between tour legs to work on new material. This whole bunch is really just a snippet, nothing to base huge conclusions on. 

Conclusions on that time period only (1999-2001). Who knows, maybe he did record a lot after that. There are talks of 40/50 unheard songs with full vocals. Who knows.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post (& sorry for my approximative english) but my point was, he could have released an album in 2001 had he laid down vocals on most of the instrumental stuff & wasn't so butthurt about Ezrin's advice/take. Instead, it was a clusterfuck for another 7 years and we ended up with CD 2008. And nothing since then. 11 years without a single official new song. Blows my mind.

Edited by D..

lol @ being pissed off about artists not singing on recordings that were never supposed to be heard by people. If Axl really liked the song why would he NOT have sang on it? It is logical to assume he had his reasons just like everybody else has his reasons and liked other songs more. That said those instrumentals are great, and I'd like to know why he choose the tracks he did for CD.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

What got leaked recently were from the period between 1999 to 2001, am I right? Im pretty sure a lot of them now have vocals on them, as well as a lot of new songs which we don't even know about. A creative process is not as straightforward as hard labour. By having a good instrumental does not guarantee a good song if Axl has no inspiration for it.

Was listening to The Black Keys on the Joe Rogan Podcast and the drummer had a pretty interesting insight where he spoke about how record companies screw over bands by shelving their records and giving suggestions for the songs for their own agenda. I'll recommand you guys go have a listen.

Edited by Rapidfire
Spelling
  • Like 1

One thing I agree with are the untouched vocals. To me, Axl sounded better in 2006-2008 than he did in 99. He butchered November Rain on Live ERA, Estranged goes from UYI Axl to CD Axl, and expects us not to hear it? If I listen to his vocals on those Sebastian Bach songs, he sounded mean. His bit on Stuck Inside sounded better than most of his CD vocals. 

I am an Axl supporter as well, but the reason I got into GN'R were mostly those raw raspy vocals. If only he recorded some stuff in 2010, that was the last time he sounded like himself. I can come up with 100+ moments from that tour where he sounded mean as fuck. He lost it somewhere. He went from 2001 Axl to 2006 Axl, which was an improvement vocalwise. Then in 2009-2010 he went even further, sounding fucking amazing for a guy who seemed to have lost it 10 years earlier. There was this acoustic set in (I believe) Paris back in 2010, where he belted out Catcher In The Rye, full rasp. That outro verse sounded so fucking good. 

I miss that sound. The last time he brought it was with AC/DC. I just can't see him getting it back. At least not on stage, there's a lot that can be done in the studio.

But still, I support this band. I'm from 1989, by the time I discovered GN'R they were way beyond AFD and UYI, with the original guys long gone. I'm happy to have had the chance to see at least 3 of the 5 together on stage. And sure, of course I hear Axl struggle with his vocals, but I take what I can get with this band. Which are +/-3 hour shows. They even brought back Coma  and DTJ and decided to both release and play Shadow Of Your Love. 

But I can understand where you're coming from. You do have to understand that these leaks come from 1 era. Who knows how many of those instrumentals got vocals in the years that followed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D.. said:

Conclusions on that time period only (1999-2001). Who knows, maybe he did record a lot after that. There are talks of 40/50 unheard songs with full vocals. Who knows.

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post (& sorry for my approximative english) but my point was, he could have released an album in 2001 had he laid down vocals on most of the instrumental stuff & wasn't so butthurt about Ezrin's advice/take. Instead, it was a clusterfuck for another 7 years and we ended up with CD 2008. And nothing since then. 11 years without a single official new song. Blows my mind.

You have no idea how Axl took that. You also have no idea what other forces contributed to the delays. Maybe one day we get the whole story 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D.. said:

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my post (& sorry for my approximative english) but my point was, he could have released an album in 2001 had it laid down vocals on most of the instrumental stuff & wasn't so butthurt about Ezrin's advice/take. Instead, it was a clusterfuck for another 7 years and we ended up with CD 2008. And nothing since then. 11 years without a single official new song. Blows my mind.

I’m more bummed about the fact that given the amount of material they had, they didn’t release a sequel in say three to four years, around 2012, instead of the continual touring. Same time, same channel, next year... yeah. 

5 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I’m more bummed about the fact that given the amount of material they had, they didn’t release a sequel in say three to four years, around 2012, instead of the continual touring. Same time, same channel, next year... yeah. 

It's the whole package really if you recoup everything.

Nonetheless, always nice to read everyone's opinion on this. I have my point of view and it's harsh. Deserves other harsh point of views hehe.