The Chinese Democracy Album - a studio timeline

3 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Wasn't Sorum who brought Finck? I believe that at some point Finck, Duff , Sorum and Paul was the band after Slash quit. And I do believe that Merck worked with Doug in Sanctuary.

Matt and Axl went to see Cirque du Soleil but Robin didn't actually sign until a few months later

And yeah Merck was more "promoted" to manager than hired

Edited by TheSeeker

i didnt know Azoff was back. I thought he came in as part of the 06 tour left sometime after CD was released, as he helped the best buy deal and was then replaced by merck then merck left to be replaced by the incompetance called TB?. Maybe i have all of this wrong.................................

you missed some erratic epizodes when Buckethead left for some time, for example already in 2000 and 2001

17 minutes ago, walter22 said:

Great post

Sorry for my pitiful english

Roy Thomas Baker and Bob Ezrin worked both at the same time?

yes. and based on Sean Beavan interview, he actually was still there for some time and worked together with RTB - which contradicts what Chinese Whispers say, but I can't find the exact quotes at the moment

4 minutes ago, Argentino said:

Is there more info on the first tentative name in 1994?

It's just been used as a tentative name by the writers of the (excellent) Chinese Whispers

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

I guess because it was the only song that it was known by title at that time as one of the songs intended for the post-UYI album.

------

Personally I would start the CD timeline from 1997, not 1994.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

Great post. I remember two periods of this timeline being huge low points for me as a fan:

The silence of 2003-2005 - no information, nothing from the band as far as updates and media interest fading after the failed tour. Buckethead leaving was a major blow when the news broke. Probably as devastating for Nu Guns fans as Slash leaving for the classic era fans. It really felt like the nu band (and Axl) had missed their moment by 2003.

November/December 2006 - When they missed this release date, after the euphoria of the leaks, reunion rumors, and Hammerstein Ballroom shows/tour, I think a lot of fan and media interest dissipated. This is personally where I checked out. It just felt like the last chance for this band to be relevant had faded away entirely. The excitement for me just never returned after that open letter from Merck and missed release date. MAJOR disappointment. I think the fan enthusiasm for CD fell significantly after the end of 2006. Imho, a lot of us felt over the whole thing personally which is why you hear some describe the release of CD in 2008 as "anticlimactic". 

Similar to me. And I do think Buckethead's absence is pivotal. The ''weirdos era'' felt utterly different from the old band, but after Buckethead it looked more retro and boring really. The whole thing just sort of petered out after 2002 and when the album arrived in 2008, I had passed caring (and the demos/live versions sounded better irrespective). 

I think the fan enthusiasm for new guns peaked 2001. House of Blues/Rio 3 was the summit. 2002 it was still there (even the fiasco of a tour merely contributed to the ''mystique'').

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Similar to me. And I do think Buckethead's absence is pivotal. The ''weirdos era'' felt utterly different from the old band, but after Buckethead it looked more retro and boring really. The whole thing just sort of petered out after 2002 and when the album arrived in 2008, I had passed caring (and the demos/live versions sounded better irrespective). 

I think the fan enthusiasm for new guns peaked 2001. House of Blues/Rio 3 was the summit. 2002 it was still there (even the fiasco of a tour merely contributed to the ''mystique'').

Agree 100%. Weirdos era was a genuine attempt at taking this in a new direction. Everything that happened afterwards was a slow decline. Loved that era. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’ve never heard or read anywhere the mid 90s album was gonna be called This I Love, nor have I ever heard or read PRL as an album title. 

PRL was first mentioned here - the version of this article on HTGTH was horribly mistranslated for years and missed the PRL mention completely:

30j016t.thumb.jpg.950556f114557634b6c890

4v3h9x.thumb.jpg.410a5003b5b5210e37b1c2d

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Thanks 2