Which leak would make the best single for a new album?

Best single?  

399 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Any new single needs to have the energy and kind of hooks to make people think 'Ah hell, Guns N' Roses are back!' and get people interested again. The success if the NITL tour goes to show how much people value that kind of material (plus the lineup change, of course).

From that angle, Hardschool is probably the best bet for now.

After all it's been a LONG time since a fresh single was released. Something that harks back to the old school chorus-heavy tunes of old will probably be the safest bet, rather than trying something more ambitious/different like Atlas/State of Grace straight out of the gate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, seely said:

Any new single needs to have the energy and kind of hooks to make people think 'Ah hell, Guns N' Roses are back!' and get people interested again. The success if the NITL tour goes to show how much people value that kind of material (plus the lineup change, of course).

From that angle, Hardschool is probably the best bet for now.

After all it's been a LONG time since a fresh single was released. Something that harks back to the old school chorus-heavy tunes of old will probably be the safest bet, rather than trying something more ambitious/different like Atlas/State of Grace straight out of the gate.

Exactly this ^

To get any kind of air play it would obviously need to be radio friendly too. Hardschool covers all angles. 

In my opinion songs on Chinese didn't have that "anthemic" chorus of old GNR, I've read on here people saying "did Axl forget how to write a good chorus". With Hardschool it has the chorus that gets stuck in your head like the songs on Appetite & the Illusions, which would make that song the perfect single for a "comeback".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creed said:

yeah, that was me. and i correct myself: Axl probably never had this ability. It was Izzy who wrote the choruses. However the choruses on Contraband are very 'oldGnR' as well.

Izzy wrote some choruses, yes, you make it sound like he wrote them all. 

You don't think Jungle and Sweet Child have good choruses? GN'R's biggest anthems, zero lyrics, choruses, or otherwise written by Izzy Stradlin.

Edited by MooseMan

I'd be surprised if Hard School would be chosen as lead single, though in saying that, I want them to play it live to see if it's changed lyrically or the structure of the song itself since the recordings of those demos.

For me, it would be Atlas. One of my favourite Guns tunes. I've played it to death since it leaked in it's entirety, it's been a very long time since a song had that effect on me.  

• Like 2

From all the songs we've heard I don't think Axl or the band we're ever really concerned with making a mainstream hit single, from the entire CD sessions that we've heard I think 'Better' is still the closest the band ever got to a truly radio friendly single. Out of all these songs I think 'Atlas' would have the best chance today, 'Hardschool' seems to have a lot of love here, but any non GnR fan I've played it for have thought it was boring and sounded dated, Not an opinion I share by the way. I really like all of these new recordings we've heard and personally I'm unconcerned if any of them would make a 'great single'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MooseMan said:

Izzy wrote some choruses, yes, you make it sound like he wrote them all. 

You don't think Jungle, Sweet Child and November Rain have good choruses? GN'R's biggest anthems, zero lyrics, choruses, or otherwise written by Izzy Stradlin.

November Rain doesn't have a chorus, same with Estranged. 

Hard School is the obvious choice for a first single. Add a killer Slash solo on there and you've got a great radio song.

Quick Song has the kind of riff that makes it very radio friendly, hearing Axl on it would scream "comeback" in such a perfect way.

That or Hard School, which I'd leave for the second single.

Third single must be Perhaps, it's a classic Axl song.

Atlas wouldn't do much as a single imo, it's not an easy-listening kind of song and at least for me it takes a couple runs to start appreciating it. A bit like ChiDem as a whole.