P.R.L. - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

12 hours ago, hollywood_democracy said:

And who's to say he didn't re-record these songs at a later date? Or dropped them all together... I don't comment here much, but I see a lot of people really going off on how lazy he was and how little vocals he sang... This was almost 20 years ago. I'm sure there is plenty more material; some updates of stuff we've now heard, and some that we never even knew existed... 

Hey guess what I found

https://sleazeroxx.com/recording-chinese-democracy-axl-rose-at-the-palms-studio/

RECORDING ‘CHINESE DEMOCRACY’: AXL ROSE AT THE PALMS STUDIO:

November 26, 2008

Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. “I went from ‘no way,’ ” he recalls, “to changing my plane ticket right away.” All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary Guns N’ Roses disc “Chinese Democracy.”

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are “Chinese Democracy,” “Madagascar” and “Prostitute.” 

“He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, ‘I can get the part better’ or ‘I can tighten it up.’ “

So Axl went track-by-track recording either overdubs for existing vocal tracks or lead vocals for tracks he had never sang on before in December 2006.

He only worked on the 14 album tracks that were released in 2008 - nothing else.

So Axl must have recorded vocals for The General and Soul Monster (and Berlin maybe) pre-2006. 

I'm going to guess he recorded all the vocals for Shackler's Revenge, If the World, Scraped, Sorry and This I Love in December 2006.

Axl said he sang Soul Monster on a Christmas Eve. Going by the dates he had a studio booked, that could have been either December 2001 (The Village) or December 2004 (Woodland Ranch)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Pharaoh said:

Thyme and PRL are suposed to be the same song, but... they are really diferent.

Do you think they really are the same song? This has vocals and guitars? How do u think the final version sounds like? It could be played by the actual lineup?

I think Thyme is supposed to be an intro to PRL, but I’m not sure.

On 10/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, TheSeeker said:

I'm going to guess he recorded all the vocals for Shackler's Revenge, If the World, Scraped, Sorry and This I Love in December 2006.

That can't be right because Shackler's Revenge was inspired by the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007.

20 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it’s labeled as “PRL w/o Guitars.” I wonder what the guitars on that song were supposed to sound like.

Thyme intro is so cool how it transitions into PRL ... And then PRL itself is crazy cool my mind cannot fathom what kind of guitar tracks, solos, and vocals could possibly be included

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/22/2020 at 4:07 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

Thyme intro is so cool how it transitions into PRL ... And then PRL itself is crazy cool my mind cannot fathom what kind of guitar tracks, solos, and vocals could possibly be included

You can't fathom because there aren't any more recorded vocals, remember? Lol.

mocking-spongebob.gif

Anyway, this track is an absolute banger.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

You can't fathom because there aren't any more recorded vocals, remember? Lol.

mocking-spongebob.gif

Anyway, this track is an absolute banger.

I am 100% convinced there exists no version of this song with recorded vocals. If you want to believe that, that's your problem, not mine. As the saying goes ... Keep dreaming.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, username said:

Well, he also copied Smells Like Teen Spirit. So the early 90's were a clear influence. ;):P 

What song copied Teen spirit? I have a feeling you're referencing him wanting the drum sound of teen spirit on the title track of CD. Not really a copy, had I not read the Zutaut interview I don't think I would have made the connection.

I don't disagree that 90s alternative scene hugely influenced Axl though

12 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I am 100% convinced there exists no version of this song with recorded vocals. If you want to believe that, that's your problem, not mine. As the saying goes ... Keep dreaming.

Pele 2.0 

I am 100% convinced that you have no way of backing up this theory. He could very easily have once recorded a simple scratch vocal, and with that it would mean there was once a version with vocals... How can you be so absolute when you have no information? Maybe he didn't, maybe he did... We'll probably never know, but until I hear one of the producers or Axl or any of the ex guys that would know what was done, I'm definitely not making any concrete statements.

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Pele 2.0 

I am 100% convinced that you have no way of backing up this theory. He could very easily have once recorded a simple scratch vocal, and with that it would mean there was once a version with vocals... How can you be so absolute when you have no information? Maybe he didn't, maybe he did... We'll probably never know, but until I hear one of the producers or Axl or any of the ex guys that would know what was done, I'm definitely not making any concrete statements.

Okay I'm sorry, I'm 99.9% convinced. Better? 

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

What song copied Teen spirit?

Quick Song

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Pele 2.0 

I thought he might have just copied a Pele post when I read that :lol:

There could be a version of PRL with vocals, the song was mentioned back in 2001, but that doesn't mean we'll hear it in this lifetime. Same with stuff like TIL '92, YCBM AFD era demo, etc. I have no expectation of ever hearing those recordings but they probably exist... :shrugs:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Quick Song

I thought he might have just copied a Pele post when I read that :lol:

There could be a version of PRL with vocals, the song was mentioned back in 2001, but that doesn't mean we'll hear it in this lifetime. Same with stuff like TIL '92, YCBM AFD era demo, etc. I have no expectation of ever hearing those recordings but they probably exist... :shrugs:

Wasn't TIL '92 deleted after being recorded? 

And it's so obvious PRL doesn't have vocals .. It sounds like a video game soundtrack lol there is no melody whatsoever in this song. I don't even see how there could be guitar tracks. Hence my original comment years ago that this clown decided to engage me on.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

And it's so obvious PRL doesn't have vocals .. It sounds like a video game soundtrack lol there is no melody whatsoever in this song. I don't even see how there could be guitar tracks. Hence my original comment years ago that this clown decided to engage me on.

I agree that most of the Village tracks probably never got vocals and have been abandoned somewhere along the way. But there are a few reasons I think P.R.L. is not among them. You mention that is sounds like a video game and that you can't imagine guitars on it, well, the version we have is "w/out Thyme" and "no gtrs". So, clearly it is a song they worked on and clearly it was supposed to have a guitar track. Furthermore, Axl said the title of the follow-up to CD would be P.R.L., indicating that he thought it had some central position or were representative of that bunch of tracks. He also mentioned that the follow-up would be more experimental, which fits with the sound of P.R.L.. So not unlikely at all that this was worked more on after 1999/2000 and quite possible it exists with vocals, too. Only my opinion, of course. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Because you can't imagine it, it can't be done? Yeah that holds up...

Plenty of music without the vocal might seem impossible to sing over, yet singers manage in all kinds of styles. Like, there are songs with vocals that don't even use melodic instruments. Axl singing over some video game style music isn't that unrealistic. 

That's all I gotta say about that

38 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It's unclear if it was all deleted or just the end part that Axl apparently hated.