"'If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album'." - Axl Rose (as told by Marc Canter, circa 2001)

8 hours ago, downzy said:

Really? 

Call me cynical, but if there wasn't as much money on the table and had Ron and Ashba not quit back in 2015, I'm not sure we'd be seeing Axl and Slash on the stage together.  

Im really suprised by the whole reunion.

I thought the only time the reunion would have happened was if CD2 and 3 were released and commecially not successful and or an ever decreasing number of people attending the concerts. I think between 2011 and 2014 the writing was on the wall that there would be no trilogy released.

Edited by Sydney Fan

3 hours ago, vloors said:

Oklahoma was also written when he was going through divorce. I remember that from somewhere too now. 

It was inspired by the Oklahoma bombing in 1995, which happened while Axl had hearing/deposition there for the Erin Everly lawsuit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ratam said:

Thanks, i guess it too, because.many people confuse Brazil with Argentina. Americans always think that Argentina and Brazil is an only country ☺

I don't think so man. Uwe Schmidt (known as Atom Heart) was already living in Chile for 4 years when that happened. I'm not going to say he's particularly famous here, but he's somewhat of a cult figure in the electronic scene here. And no offense, but only some dumb americans see it that way, he's german. I don't know who he was referring to as the argentinian woman, but he should've known if she was brazilian (Beta), since he was probably already fluent in spanish by this time, and probably would've known or recognize the different accent. There's a big difference between chilean accent, argentinian accent and portuguese.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I don't think so man. Uwe Schmidt (known as Atom Heart) was already living in Chile for 4 years when that happened. I'm not going to say he's particularly famous here, but he's somewhat of a cult figure in the electronic scene here. And no offense, but only some dumb americans see it that way, he's german. I don't know who he was referring to as the argentinian woman, but he should've known if she was brazilian (Beta), since he was probably already fluent in spanish by this time, and probably would've known or recognize the different accent. There's a big difference between chilean accent, argentinian accent and portuguese.

This call my attention, because he refer about Beta as Brazilian, and after a comma said Argentinian woman. Maybe is just an draw up wrong.

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Marc Canter said Axl told him that at the pool after RIR 2001.

Axl talked a lot about Slash, at least during that period. Gilby referring to what he and Axl talked about when they saw each other again at that club in 2000 (where Axl joined Gilby on stage):

Gilby: [...]  Then we talked until late. [Axl] told me a lot of stuff about the new album, what was going on with that. He talked about Slash a lot and the album we did with Snakepit. He tried to make it sound like Slash and I were against him. And I said, “It wasn't like that, you have the wrong idea about it. I’m just speaking for myself. I didn’t talk to Slash about how I felt, I only told you. We wanted to make a Guns record, not a Snakepit record. But we couldn’t, so we did the Snakepit album.” 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3659-2005-03-06-gunsnroses-gr-interview-with-gilby-translated-from-greek

---------

There is also this story of the electronica musician Uwe Schmidt's meeting with Axl, which is kind of funny. Based on  Schmidt's biography, it must have happened when Axl was in Chile in 2001:

- In Santiago, you met with Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses. How did this come about?

Schmidt: After I arrived Chile, at some point I decided to sell some old machines that I had brought with me and didn’t want anymore. This guy Chris from Los Angeles wrote to me and wanted to buy them. He was a fan of mine and did actually buy them, so I packed them all up and sent them to Los Angeles. We got into an exchange of emails, and he said he worked as a technician in Axl Rose’s studio. He said that sometimes he would play my music in the studio. One time Axl came in and asked what it was. After a while, Axl remembered my music when he heard it in the studio and would say, “Oh yeah, that’s that guy.” I thought it was just a funny anecdote.

A year later my phone rang on a late afternoon and it was Chris, who said that Axl Rose was in Santiago as part of a tour around South America. They were in a restaurant around the corner, and that I should come by. I thought, “Okay, I’ll go.” I got there and they’d cleared out the restaurant; it was just Axl sitting there with this massive bodyguard, a Brazilian manager, this woman from Argentina, and my friend Chris. I sat at the other end of the table from him and didn’t understand what he was saying. He was talking about Slash the whole time and I didn’t know anything about Slash, so I couldn’t add anything. After an hour he said to me, “You’re Chris’ friend, what do you do? You’re a musician, right?”. So, I said “Yeah I’m a musician. I live here. I just wanted to come down and see Chris.” We went to his hotel and had some drinks and so on, and I only exchanged about three sentences with him. It was a really surreal situation. They had cleared out the whole floor of the hotel for him and there were all these fans standing around waiting for autographs.

(I guess "Chris" must have been Pitman. If it was him, it's also funny that Schmidt thought he was a "technician").

https://www.electronicbeats.net/interview-with-uwe-schmidt/

--------

I'm also gonna leave this here again:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3843-2019-04-26-music-week-ex-guns-n-roses-manager-merck-mercuriadis-talks-slash-axl-s-reunion

Hipgnosis Songs boss Mercuriadis, who left the GNR fold in 2006, managed the Axl Rose-fronted rock legends for several years during guitarist Slash's exile from the group.

Slash announced his return to the band alongside fellow original member Duff McKagan in January 2016 following a 20-year absence.

“The reunion was always a possibility because Axl [Rose] was open-minded to it," said Mercuriadis. "All he ever wanted was for Slash to apologise for certain things and while Slash was in a position where he maybe didn’t understand that was what was necessary, then the band were never going to come together.

"But at some point it was inevitable that they would have that conversation and Slash would be able to have his say, because there were things that he wasn’t happy about."

Beginning in April 2016 the Not In This Lifetime... tour, which reunited original members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan, became the second highest grossing of all-time, generating $563.3 million (£436.8m) from 159 shows.

"Axl was always protective of Slash and the other guys in Guns N’ Roses," said Mercuriadis, who stars on the cover of the latest issue of Music Week. "There were just certain things that he wanted to be put right. They obviously figured out how to put them right and it’s been incredibly successful.”

You always seem to put together really interesting quotes and facts on all these topics!

Thanks for that! I don't  know how you do it!

Maybe you should write a book.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DK6 said:

You always seem to put together really interesting quotes and facts on all these topics!

Thanks for that! I don't  know how you do it!

Maybe you should write a book.

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I know right? @Blackstar is my favorite member here, no joking. :)

6 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Couldn't agree more. When people come in with crazy theories or even just mis-remembered details, @Blackstar is always there to set a GnR fan right! 

Lol, thank you. I just happen to have a good memory, I guess, and I like nerdy stuff.  :)

@SoulMonster has been writing sort-of a book based on public sources (interviews, articles, autobiographies) and I'm helping a little bit 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3987-history-index

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I thought about writing a book myself about the Chinese Democracy saga. Not only just with old quotes like Chinese Whispers (which is awesome, of course), but with new interviews and through the 2019/2020 lens, with added context. Still think it wouldnt be a good as it could be without some key-members input, like Axl himself (of course) and at least Robin and Bucket. :( 

That would be a great idea, because the CD era history really needs to be updated.

I would say the same goes even for the classic era, because, even though we think there's not much else to know, there are sources like interviews that hadn't circulated or used in books before, which shed light and even change the perception on certain events.

But the problem with the CD era is, as you say, that there are less sources and input from the people directly involved, which makes the effort more difficult. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Lol, thank you. I just happen to have a good memory, I guess, and I like nerdy stuff.  :)

@SoulMonster has been writing sort-of a book based on public sources (interviews, articles, autobiographies) and I'm helping a little bit 

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3987-history-index

That would be a great idea, because the CD era history really needs to be updated.

I would say the same goes even for the classic era, because, even though we think there's not much else to know, there are sources like interviews that hadn't circulated or used in books before, which shed light and even change the perception on certain events.

But the problem with the CD era is, as you say, that there are less sources and input from the people directly involved, which makes the effort more difficult. 

This is a massive project. Great work there. 

Yeah, the lack of sources is a big problem. Even more if you think about band members - there's so much bitter and angst. Bumblefoot doesnt like to talk about it, it was clearly a difficult time for him. Buckethead doesnt either - well, he almost never talk at all. Robin seems ok, but never really seems like it could provide details. I'm not sure if Pitman ever talked about this after he left the band, and I'm not sure if he's still trying to sue Axl/the band. 

I tried to talk to Merck once. Said it was meant to be an interview about the band, but he refused. I tried to talk to Ron while he was still in the band, and maybe approach Caram Constanzo. Didnt really happen like I wanted. I did a regular interview about Bumble's solo album, tho.

Its like everybody who is and was in the GNR camp avoid setting the record straight. The mystery only works against it tho, because it gets people obsessed with details and with unrealistic expectations - we saw a lot of that with the recent leaks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, Blackstar said:

This I Love was written in 1992. It's unknown if Slash had written/played on it or if it was just Axl on the piano. It was going to be used in a Robin Williams movie in 1998, but, according to Dave Dominguez, when Axl heard a line in the end about Stephanie Seymour, he told him to erase it (it's not clear if the whole song or part of it was erased). Then Axl abandoned the idea of recording the song for a long time, until he was convinced by Robin Finck and Tommy to do so. So definitely This I Love wasn't one of the songs Axl wanted on the album in 2001.

I haven't read anything about Prostitute or TWAT predating the CD era. Prostitute was developed in the Youth era, as well as Madagascar. 

Back and Forth again was used on "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere", so why would Axl have wanted to work on that.

But I think that Oklahoma definitely might have been one of them, as, according to Dominguez, it was written before the very first CD studio sessions started.

I generally doubt that it was one of the songs that are on CD, because the songs Marc Canter referred to were songs Slash already had been part of, and I don't think Axl would have put Slash songs on the album without Slash playing them. 

I know I'm late to the party, but in the interview that I read at the end of TIL Axl said "I love you Stephanie". When he realized what he said he got mad and said to get rid of it. 

I'm guessing TIL, maybe Atlas, and what were the beginnings of Fall to Pieces:

[There was a] trial period [during the break-up] where Slash played the key bits of Fall to Pieces but once I showed some interest that was over.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:38 AM, KeyserSoze said:

I thought there was discussion ad nasum in other threads about how Disc 1 may as well have been the album Axl turned in to the label in 2000/2001 before everyone started fucking with him. He said at Rock In Rio 2001 that he wanted an album out in Summer. They played Silkworms and Oh My God live at those early 2001 shows. Using live shows to promote new music is not a foreign concept.

That's a really good point. They actually played FIVE new songs at Rio and HOB with the intention of an album out by summer 2001. And here we are twenty years later wondering if they might play just one new song from those same sessions and release another album ever.