Chinese Democracy relevance in modern political climate

With all the protests against the Chinese government in Hong Kong and demands for democracy it’s really making me look at the song Chinese Democracy in a new light. This was a song that I never really paid much attention to the lyrics really, but I kinda feel like this song more relevant today than it’s ever been. Anyone else looking at this song in a new light?

Interesting. But the problem in Hong Kong does not really gets into China mainland, right?

I was there, it's interesting. Landed in Hong Kong and had to go through the customs again to get to China (I was heading to Shenzhen). It was always like a different place even after the independence from UK.

He mentions the Falun Gong which is a huge no no in the mainland. Dont ever bring up the Falun Gong, thats why more than likely Axl was banned from going back to China.

Interestingly, I bought Chinese Democracy in Beijing in 2008 at a open bootleg shop not far from Tienanmen Square before the real album was released. I still have it with a nice flip cover.

Edited by ax1

That's one of the many problems with CD; there's no consistent concept throughout, just a random jumble of ideas and musicians and producers with nothing connecting one song to the next except Axl's woeful lyrics about how everyone mistreats him. Half of the songs sound like they could have been written by Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Are there any songs on the album about china?. I would have thought calling an album chinese democracy would be some sort of concept album.

That's my thing. Outside whatever he's trying to say in Riad, nothing political about the album at all. Naming an album Chinese Democracy doesn't automatically make the album a political statement. 

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's my thing. Outside whatever he's trying to say in Riad, nothing political about the album at all. Naming an album Chinese Democracy doesn't automatically make the album a political statement. 

Thank goodness...I dont mind a few songs but mixing it up is a good idea imo.

• Like 1

The only story the album tells as a whole, and this is just a guess, is songs 1-7 are kinda his grievances against what has brought him down. Then starting with Scraped the rest of the album is him overcoming these things and resisting the urge to let it bring him down. 

but yea I would have liked an album that was suppose to be well thought out to have some kind of symmetry 

Edited by IncitingChaos

Im eating Chinese leftovers while listening to Chinese Leftovers while watching pro democracy rallies in Hong Kong. Serendipitous, yes. Im not so sure about relevance though.

Now that Hong Kong police shot a protestor I think its fair to say the the PRC has "seen the end and they cant hold on now" :headbang:

Edited by soon