Guns n Roses Ban Fan From Shows Due to Song Leaks (Link)

3 minutes ago, username said:

In fairness that was almost-as released material right when a release was going to happen. These are 20 year old demo's by another band and fuck GnR for all of a sudden "having a release planned". I have 0 sympathy for them on this one. 

Those leaks definitely didn't help in that it was most of the album and so close to the release date. Also streaming the entire album on Myspace a week beforehand was probably a mistake. Anyone who was vaguely interested had heard some version of the songs by the time it was released. Certainly a different environment both in the situation and in how the music industry operates this time around...

The fact that there was no promotion/strategy by the Artist/Label coming off yet another cancelled tour being near the top of that list. They took a year off before going on tour to support it. Could an effort there have at least helped mitigate the loss seen from piracy? There were a lot of variables looking from the outside that contributed to how the album performed past the first week and overall. 

I believe Big Champagne (who held stats on torrents) said the album was a popular downloaded albums during that time span. People were interested. They just didn't capitalize on swaying public opinion that version of the band should be supported. 

I posted the 2008 quote from Axl mostly for the bit about possible personal motivations behind the leaks, like attention seeking and popularity with the fan community.

It's doubtful if he was aware of the events that led to the current leaks  (he probably is now though anyway, as the story has been covered by some outlets, and Slash and Duff must be aware as well). But if he was informed already and TB didn't act on their own re: Rick, maybe he was irritated by the "attention seeking" involved. 

• Like 1

If Guns would release more music in a official way nobody would care about those leaks. I think it´s Axls own fault.

Come on 11 years since the last records without a single new song. How can you justify that. Why not releasing an

EP before touring in 2019 again. He is so afraid of failure it seems to me. I wish the old axl would come back

who didn`t give a fuck about what other people or the Critics think. Even Tool and The Who Releases new albums

What would you have done? If you  bought at auction this storage unit, what would you have done?   I would have thrown the cd's away. Somebody singing and some instrumental music is nothing to bring me money on the purchase of a storage unit. I would have  listened to see what was on it  or viewed it and thrown it away. That is no money.  Maybe it was a crime on cds-dvds for me to contact the police. Jewelry, cash money, etc.  would be what I would hope to have to pawn, sell.  Now I am saying this based on the tv shows where people buy, at auction,  a storage unit. No name, no info on a storage unit.   I am saying this based on people who buy storage units all the time and maybe in it is a brand new washer or tv and they can get back their $300.00 or something for buying tstorage unit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Axl2002 said:

If Guns would release more music in a official way nobody would care about those leaks. I think it´s Axls own fault.

Come on 11 years since the last records without a single new song. How can you justify that. Why not releasing an

EP before touring in 2019 again. He is so afraid of failure it seems to me. I wish the old axl would come back

who didn`t give a fuck about what other people or the Critics think. Even Tool and The Who Releases new albums

Ehhh...I think we’d at least all be still interested here even if there were more music. At least I would hope. 

The question is would management or the band care as much about songs from sessions that were from 4 album cycles ago? That while possibly not being tied to a label/contract where they could just release them without much notice.

21 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Kerrang have picked up the story now

If I was Rick I would have moved on, disappear from social media for a long time and accept the concert banned instead of seeking attention. I feel GNR management will probably take him on a date to court to screw him with a big fat lawsuit. This is TB we're talking about. They're really good at fucking the fans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amaya said:

What would you have done? If you  bought at auction this storage unit, what would you have done?   I would have thrown the cd's away. Somebody singing and some instrumental music is nothing to bring me money on the purchase of a storage unit. I would have  listened to see what was on it  or viewed it and thrown it away. That is no money.  Maybe it was a crime on cds-dvds for me to contact the police. Jewelry, cash money, etc.  would be what I would hope to have to pawn, sell.  Now I am saying this based on the tv shows where people buy, at auction,  a storage unit. No name, no info on a storage unit.   I am saying this based on people who buy storage units all the time and maybe in it is a brand new washer or tv and they can get back their $300.00 or something for buying tstorage unit.

huh?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Original said:

Huh interesting but makes sense.  Still not sure it wouldn’t be pretty simple to get in and disappear into the masses.   

Sure one could try that but depending on state laws, the consequences for resisting a house ban could be dire. I would have to look up the individual state laws for the US, but I know that in some countries in Europe you can go to jail for that as resisting a house ban is not considered a mere adminsitrative offense but an actual crime. Big difference between being asked to leave and already having been banned formally = in written form. Actually, the ban in question edges an omission prompt. If he signed it and decides to resist the ban he could end up spending the night at the local police departement followed by facing a respective indictment before court. If I was him I wouldn't be seeking attention on social media, rather keep a low profile and consult a lawyer just in case.

Personally, I think it's a shame how this whole thing turned out, to me it looks like he meant and did no harm and neither did TB. Classic case of "failure to communicate" shedding a bad light on all parties involved. There are better ways to go about your appreciation for your favourite band and better ways to treat a naive fan too.

Edited by adamsapple

How are people still debating if it was legal or illegal to purchase these cds from the person who won an auction which gave them the right in the first place to do whatever they wanted to do with the contents of the locker? 

Auction winner: Legal owner of contents

CD buyer: Legal purchaser of contents 

GnR: Fucked up big time

4 hours ago, papashaun said:

If what Rick is quoted as saying in the article is true:

"I know the seller that I bought them from was continuing to sell to other individuals, and there was a massive leak. So pretty much, I've been blamed for this," he said.
That probably means either 1. The person who bought this locker still has the original copies, and sold Rick and his friends "copies" for $15,000....or  2. The person who bought the locker sold Rick and his friends the original copies for $15,000, but made copies himself before selling....

I would guess that "The Chairman" isn't Rick, one of his friends, or the person who bought the locker....but someone else that the person who bought the lock sold copies too....

In all....I think the person who bought the locker sold "The Chairman" copies of the discs, which is why you hear the "skip" in one of the instrumentals....it's been "burned" over to a disc that way, the "skip" picked up on the copy, due to scratches on the original.  Used to happen to me a lot back in the early 00's, when we copied a disc from a friend that has scratches, a skip might pick up on a song from time to time. 

From what Ive heard Rick bought a thumbdrive with the material, not the actual discs. 

I reached out to “GNR” the day after the Charlotte show when I got word they were looking for me. I informed them I was going to multiple shows and wanted to make sure it’s cool and I’d be happy to talk when I got to venue. I got a reply and was never told not to come or that I was banned. Instead I flew all the way to Wichita ( airfare not cheap ) waited in line for hours. 3:29pm got a email from legal team telling me I’m not allowed to attend any shows that his client is performing at. Ended with a smart ass remark save yourself a trip. 10 mins later GIO and two armed cops come out and make a scene. I told my friend if anyone talks to me that’s not a fan film it ( for my protection ). If I would have gotten the ban letter sooner then it would have been fine. Or if GNR would have told me not to come I’d been okay with that. They wanted me to travel waste money and time just to ban me. I still love the band. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

how they gonna know its him if he slaps on a bandana and sunglasses like half the other hardcores that go to the show trying to dress like axl ? lol no fuckin way they can keep the guy out of every single arena they play... what a waste of time and energy

Some people that go to every show are friends with certain people in Tb. The moment i walked up they were informed. Also July 13 I did reach out to GNR and informed them of the locker situation and no response so I bought it. 

5 minutes ago, axlrosefan4life said:

Some people that go to every show are friends with certain people in Tb. The moment i walked up they were informed. Also July 13 I did reach out to GNR and informed them of the locker situation and no response so I bought it. 

Just go to a festival show. Or show up in some place like South America where they don't expect it lol

1 minute ago, axlrosefan4life said:

yeah i get that theres a little inner circle of people that would rat you out hoping that nando will give them a cookie for good behavior but im sure u know who to avoid and where not to go... sucks that u probably wont be able to get on the rail for a good while but im positive u can still get in to most shows if you really want to... hit me up next time theyre in montreal if u wanna go, i got your back... my way of saying thanks for not hoarding the leaks... im sure pretty much anyone on here would do the same in their city too

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have visions of GN'R's security staff having a set of ''Most-wanted'' playing cards featuring ''irritant Guns N' Roses fans'', like what the Americans had when they invaded Iraq,

1024px-UNO_graduate_students_visit_Louis

complete with the dude wearing a slash shirt in 01, mr. security man himself, and that pedophile looking motherfucker with the camera from the st louis riot show lol

• Haha 1

The "banning forever" thing is ridiculous. He can buy a general admission ticket anonymously and hide in the crowd. They won't be looking at all the people in the arena.

This happened because they knew @axlrosefan4life would be there and he posted about it in public also.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2