Axl's St. Louis Rant Before YCBM

More on Izzy returning to the band in 1995:

uten_n41.png

This is a chapter that I am currently working on, so I would expect it to be greatly fleshed out when I come to newer sources.

What is interesting though, is that Slash explicitly states he would love to have Izzy back. This is in stark contrast to all the flak Slash had been sending in the direction of Izzy in 1994 and earlier in 1994, suggesting to me that what Slash would really like is to "have Izzy come back and replace Paul Huge otherwise I might quit".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

That was UYI tour Izzy. That's why I don't understand why people want him back so badly. He used to just fake his way through the UYI songs and be barely audible. 

People want him back b/c of his song-writing ability and arrangements.  Plus, he adds a cool factor and vibe onstage that is hard to replicate.  Look at Fortus play....he looks like he's a douche when he's playing.

Izzy looks cool AF. 

• Like 4

Besides being as important for the band’s existence as any of the other guys, Izzy is a great songwriter and wrote amazing songs with Axl, they’re a great match. I love his Rolling Stones style, his sense of humor, his laidback attitude, his coolness...I could go on. As anyone else, he has his problems, but it would be great to see him back because of what he brings to the table. But that’s life, I’m happy with what we have and I like Fortus, but he’s definitely no Izzy.

• Like 2

I am an Izzy fan.   I am a GnR fan of music AFD to UYIs.  That is the only GnR music. CD was Axl and his hired band.                            Why do fans want Izzy and Steven back in some kind of real reunion,  maybe club dates in the massive stadium tour  would have worked, because they were GnR.   Izzy is not holier than thou now and Steven's issue is long gone as Duff and Slash dont smoke crack . Like I posted in another thread, all 5 guys are filthy rich, old middle aged men , long clean and sober, business men, who live private personal lives, very protected and cocooned lives.                                                                                                                             What  drugged out of fukin mind Slash said 24-25  years, he really did not mean.  Look at the whole picture. Context of the times and reasons. If he felt that way, then no way would he wanted to include Izzy on VR.  Izzy was clean and sober first of them and for the longest. He had to be. It was that or to jail for him. The rest were not facing a nice prison stay. Izzy has said things of them he did nitvrealky mean back then either.                        Facts. Late shows, riots, Unmedicated Axl,  drugged and drunk Duff and Slash. Ok. Those are bygones, ancient 30 year history.                                                               Now, today, you have never seen nor will see these 5 guys together. Izzy has ghosted the band and fans. .Steven has his GnR cover band and finally stopped talking  and groveling at The Big 3. Slash has more than enough money to pay Perla her million a year for the rest of her life, lol, only the next 45 to 55 years. Duff and Susan have generational wealth sured up for their girls, grandkids one day, etc.  Axl has enough for TB family, lol.. It is all good with all of them being all on good terms even if they are all not really friends today.  That's life.

Edited by Amaya
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Just another comment on Izzy's getting so high he couldn't really played. It happened once during the EZO tour in 1987:

uten_n42.png

Of course, this wouldn't be the last time Izzy whipped his dick out, later with serious consequences.

Back then all of them had serious drug issues and were drunk and all missed ques when playing live. Izzy, Slash, Steven , and Duff. Axl was just crazy.  They all 5 pissed away their prime, 1989 to 1999, together as a group as GnR. They all should have gotten clean, sober and professional by 1989.  Again, ancient history of 30-35 years ago. Today each man lives a happy, good personal and professional life as a multimillionarie

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I never get the negativity from slash about izzy because he was then full of good words in slashs book about the writing experience during VR ( 2002/3) for contraband.

In Slash's book there is not much negativity about Izzy in relation to GnR either - no mention, for example, that he and Axl had agreed on threatening Izzy with lower royalty percentage before he left or of the bad climate during Izzy's return for five shows in 1993, etc. - and the Izzy issue is presented basically as part of the big Axl issue.

I guess Slash changed some of his views in hindsight, after how things ended up with GnR (although it should be mentioned that during the early VR interviews, Slash had referred to Izzy along the lines of him being "flaky"). But I also suspect that this is one of main things that made Axl so angry with Slash's book - because at the time of the events Slash definitely had different sentiments towards Izzy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In Slash's book there is not much negativity about Izzy in relation to GnR either - no mention, for example, that he and Axl had agreed on threatening Izzy with lower royalty percentage before he left or of the bad climate during Izzy's return for five shows in 1993, etc. - and the Izzy issue is presented basically as part of the big Axl issue.

I guess Slash changed some of his views in hindsight, after how things ended up with GnR (although it should be mentioned that during the early VR interviews, Slash had referred to Izzy along the lines of him being "flaky"). But I also suspect that this is one of main things that made Axl so angry with Slash's book - because at the time of the events Slash definitely had different sentiments towards Izzy.

what if Slash still feels this way toward Izzy? Because, i'm sure, you've heard of rumors that its was Slash who said "no" on equal loot, for Izzy?

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

A biography is an excellent opportunity to gloss over and revise history :)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Politania said:

what if Slash still feels this way toward Izzy? Because, i'm sure, you've heard of rumors that its was Slash who said "no" on equal loot, for Izzy?

The rumour was about Duff saying that, not Slash.

There's almost zero information about the current situation, so there isn't even ground to make fact-based assumptions and all we can do is speculate.

For one, it seems that Axl/Slash/Duff wanted to include Izzy at least in some capacity and there was  disagreement over the loot - and possibly other things. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The rumour was about Duff saying that, not Slash.

There's almost zero information about the current situation, so isn't even ground to make fact-based assumptions and all we can do is speculate.

For one, it seems that Axl/Slash/Duff wanted to include Izzy at least in some capacity and there was a disagreement over the loot - and possibly other things. 

Duff? Really? So there were a lot of rumors then :lol: But Why Duff would say no?

Yes, we're speculating. We love that sh*** aren't we? :lol:

• Like 1

As for 1995, I think Slash would have liked Gilby back in the band, but since that wasn't possible and with the Paul Huge situation, he probably saw Izzy as the solution and, of course, preferred him over Huge. He would have preferred almost anyone over Huge, actually, as the joke in the following quote (from an interview with a Spanish magazine - translation in progress) indicates:

- An old acquaintance of yours, Tracii Guns from L.A. Guns, was  greatly offended because you didn't consider him as a replacement for Izzy. 

Slash: Did he really say that?

- Yes, he said it in an interview.

Slash: Tracii and I have always hated each other. He was in Guns N Roses before I joined. I replaced Tracii after Axl sacked him. I've known Tracii since before he played the guitar. I remember that he had a guitar when I didn't have one yet (laughs). We've never been friends, and I'd have never in a million years thought of him for GN'R. I didn't know he had made that comment. God... Tracii would be better than Paul Huge (laughs). [Popular 1, 1995]

It seems also that Axl considered having Izzy back then, to write with the band at least, but then they had another fallout (Izzy's later interviews in 2001 shed some light on this).

Duff and Izzy, based on their interviews from 1993, were in talking terms during the whole time Axl and Slash were angry at Izzy - it seems they had maintained a good relationship.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

Why would Duff say no?  Less money bewtween 4 than 3. Duff the diplomatic peacemaker bridged this semi-reunion together.  From what has been said here....AR owns more of GnR than anyone. DM and SH own percentages. Izzy took a buy out of the company ,but has royalities to what probably does not equal much today. Steven has the least of whatever.                  My assumption deals fall through. No biggie. No love lost. My assumption, based here, that rumor had it Izzy could have made a few thousand a show. Samevpay or less than Frank or  Fortus or Dizzy or Mellissa. What songs did they write for AFD to UYIs? How much did they make in herion sales to keep GnR afloat in the 1980s presigning?  Were they living in the luxurious accomodations of the loft, hell house, or with a fellow herion addict?  Did they move to CA at 18 ? Were they eating from the Salvation Army truck once a week? Other times, nevermind.                                        Reality, to take chicken feed money would not have been worth Izzy getting out of bed for. I think, my assumption, maybe there was a salary cap and it was low and simply could not be higher. As Izzy said....spillting the loot.                                                                      I assume he could not be paid same as A,D,S,  which is true, fair, but max salary would have been same as the other hired staff......simply an insult for a band founder and 1/5 writer of the songs played in concert  So Izzy is not flaky, bailed etc. It was a smart and only business decision I assume.                                                                        There was simply no funding to pay him. Recording, again, if Axl,Duff, Slash would try to create a new cd ,  that would cut into songs rights 4 ways. 3 ways is better. No Izzy never ever again. I dobt think, my assumption, neither man is crying in his coffee, bur I do not think there is a friendship anymore. Izzy was around writing  with Duff and Slash and socializing  over the past, but now, no. Izzy never showed , just as a friend- family- guest wearing a laminated neck badge to see any of their shows. 3.5 years. Not to be on stage to play a song,  but just hanging out. Don't you find that weird.                                                               Telling. Shit happens. Friendships drift. Even with siblings, spouses. Relationships  fall apart. People move and  move away.  People have different jobs and interests. People change. People dont disagree or be angry, but just drift apart.   This is what I think. 

Edited by Amaya
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, soon said:

Ah, you know, I can see how my phrasing "Slash just stumbles through the intro all by himself" could come across as a diss towards Izzy. But I didn't really mean it that way. I meant to say that Slash is in his own world either ignoring Izzy or having taken Izzy out of his monitor mix.

To me it seems that Izzy plays the intro properly while Slash screws around. Slash comes in late on the crescendo part, so Izzy had to wait to do the build up before the main beat drops. But to me Izzy and Matt were locked in, while Slash was off in this performance.

Yeah, this. 

Also, Izzy and later Gilby mostly had a shit mix and were barely audible mostly on the Illusions tour.

• Like 2