Was anyone at least curious how a Bumble/Axl album would’ve sounded?

AxlRoseCDII

I know a lot of people didn’t care for Bumblefoot and his contributions to CD, but I liked a fair amount of them, and the songs he tried to create for GNR that Axl allegedly turned down are superb: (see Argentina and Don’t Know Who to Pray To Anymore). I’ve been listening to these songs recently with in mind Axl’s voice and it had me wondering how cool a Bumble/Axl collab could’ve been. I bet I’m alone on this but I always thought it would’ve been sweet.

• Like 3

No, to be honest. The Axl/Robin/Bucket combo was much more interesting for me. 

Edit: I really like some of Ron's solo albums, though. Normal and Abnormal for example. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

No, to be honest. The Axl/Robin/Bucket combo was much more interesting for me. 

Edit: I really like some of Ron's solo albums, though. Normal and Abnormal for example. 

100%, more interesting to me as well.

I still think Bumble could’ve brought some good originals I would’ve loved to hear if they actually released music post 2008.

7 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

100%, more interesting to me as well.

I still think Bumble could’ve brought some good originals I would’ve loved to hear if they actually released music post 2008.

The instrumentals for Turn Around and Shadow would've been interesting for Axl's voice. 

• GNFNR 1

If those tracks got kicked around by Brain/Tommy/Robin then yes!

I guess I think of Bumble and Axl in similar terms in this regard - one of a kind talents who write well, but whose awesomeness is elevated by having some real dirty rock and rollers fucking with it. 

• Like 1

I too think that Ron’s contributions on CD are some of the highlights.

I would’ve loved an Axl/Ron Guns album. 

That first Art of Anarchy record with Scott Weiland has quite a bit of material I could imagine fitting onto Chinese. 

Edited by Towelie

Honestly... Hell yeah. 

Women Rule the World

Argentina

Dash

Invisible 

Don't Know Who To Pray To Anymore

Sleepwalking.

With Axl any of this songs could be potential singles. Problem is finding the balance between their styles. I think Bumble learned a lot from his time with GN'R and could probably bend to Axl's will of needed, but if they did release something together (as in the two of them) then they have to find some common ground to work on. Dash with Axl seems like a dream come true for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I know a lot of people didn’t care for Bumblefoot and his contributions to CD, but I liked a fair amount of them, and the songs he tried to create for GNR that Axl allegedly turned down are superb: (see Argentina and Don’t Know Who to Pray To Anymore). I’ve been listening to these songs recently with in mind Axl’s voice and it had me wondering how cool a Bumble/Axl collab could’ve been. I bet I’m alone on this but I always thought it would’ve been sweet.

Absolutley.

1 hour ago, AlterL said:

Honestly... Hell yeah. 

Women Rule the World

Argentina

Dash

Invisible 

Don't Know Who To Pray To Anymore

Sleepwalking.

With Axl any of this songs could be potential singles. Problem is finding the balance between their styles. I think Bumble learned a lot from his time with GN'R and could probably bend to Axl's will of needed, but if they did release something together (as in the two of them) then they have to find some common ground to work on. Dash with Axl seems like a dream come true for me.

I was just listening to Little Brother Is Watching again the other night. I forgot what a REALLY good album that is. I would have loved to hear what Axl & BBF could have done together. 

• GNFNR 2

My uncle is a fan of bumble and not GNR (he was curious when bucket and brain joined cuz he's a huge fan of primus but lost interest in them when CD wasn't released on time.)

He prefers bumble to bucket as a guitarist (solo wise) I believe. mostly because bucket has almost too much music and some stuff is just the same. 

Anyway, not the point. He encouraged me to listen to bumbles solo stuff and have. I love most of the Normal album and little brother's watching. I actually want to see him tour doing his solo stuff. I would go. I also think he has a unique voice that fits well with Axl's. While I'm not a fan of him in GNR as much (I like that he helped get Don't Cry and other GNR songs back in the set) I think some of the stuff that he came out with solo wise during his GNR or post GNR days would have been interesting with Axl. 

I'm also not 100% sure what he actually contributed to CD. There are so many guitars I can never tell who's who on each track. 

I liked Ron's contributions to CD and am sad I'll likely never hear his guitar parts/solos for Atlas Shrugged. That story about him playing songs to Axl in Vegas in his room after their last show together is so sad. I'll never understand why Axl favoured Ashba over him.

53 minutes ago, Amir said:

I liked Ron's contributions to CD and am sad I'll likely never hear his guitar parts/solos for Atlas Shrugged. That story about him playing songs to Axl in Vegas in his room after their last show together is so sad. I'll never understand why Axl favoured Ashba over him.

Haven't heard that one, is there much more to it than what you've written here?

10 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Haven't heard that one, is there much more to it than what you've written here?

I've spent the past few hours trying to find it :lol: Dunno if it's been scrubbed from the Internet or not, but I distinctly remember hearing just after the Vegas residency, him talking about jamming with Axl in his room and lamenting that they hadn't done that at all during his whole tenure in the band.

@Graeme I found it! Thanks to @SoulMonster for having this on his site:

We [Axl and Bumblefoot] actually jammed last night until the wee hours, til my fingers were blue and both me & my tech were falling over, was a great time & wish we had done that more often - Axl's great to jam with  (And I'm sure I've been tougher to deal with in GNR than anyone, circumstances have not made it an easy ride for me personally & it hasn't made me the best version of myself most of the time...)

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2490-bumblefoot-leaving-after-vegas-residency-true#9261

EDIT: Was the second last thing he ever posted on this forum :(

Looks like he last visited 27th December 2018...

Edited by Amir
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

Very curious, it could have worked well. He's a mad professor type of musician. Basically can do everything. I've probably mentioned it before, but I think Bumble's contributions to the album added another dimension to the music. I like the vast majority of the work he was responsible for that made it on Chinese.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I was hoping for a BBF led album. I think he was one of the highlights of the "Nu" era.

100%. He was really the only in the 2009-2014 era that wanted to produce new music, wanted to communicate with fans, etc. He definitely had his bad moments but they were out of frustration for the situation he was in.

• GNFNR 1

20 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

My uncle is a fan of bumble and not GNR (he was curious when bucket and brain joined cuz he's a huge fan of primus but lost interest in them when CD wasn't released on time.)

He prefers bumble to bucket as a guitarist (solo wise) I believe. mostly because bucket has almost too much music and some stuff is just the same. 

Anyway, not the point. He encouraged me to listen to bumbles solo stuff and have. I love most of the Normal album and little brother's watching. I actually want to see him tour doing his solo stuff. I would go. I also think he has a unique voice that fits well with Axl's. While I'm not a fan of him in GNR as much (I like that he helped get Don't Cry and other GNR songs back in the set) I think some of the stuff that he came out with solo wise during his GNR or post GNR days would have been interesting with Axl. 

I'm also not 100% sure what he actually contributed to CD. There are so many guitars I can never tell who's who on each track. 

Ron is a top level musician. Little Brother is one of my favorite albums of all time and I can spend hours watching his “instrumentals” so to speak, such a song his compositions for Better, Dont Cry, TWAT, etc. Honestly he may have been the biggest waste of potential for this band ever.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Ron is a top level musician. Little Brother is one of my favorite albums of all time and I can spend hours watching his “instrumentals” so to speak, such a song his compositions for Better, Dont Cry, TWAT, etc. Honestly he may have been the biggest waste of potential for this band ever.

Him and brain yes. I think brain should still be with them. He’s the best post UYI drummer they’ve had. He played everything old and new very well 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2019 at 9:20 PM, RussTCB said:

Absolutley.

I was just listening to Little Brother Is Watching again the other night. I forgot what a REALLY good album that is. I would have loved to hear what Axl & BBF could have done together. 

All Axl had to do was sing Argentina, the work was done!

Imagine if they were to have played it live in Argentina, the crowd would have taken the roof off!

Such a cool guy to the fans, really miss him

• Like 1

Argentina was cool musically, but vocally not so much for me, even though I still like it. Axl would have had to write new melodies and lyrics, and we know how long that takes.

Simple days (another rejected GNR song IIRC) chorus sounds A plus to me as a whole, but the verses need something else going on instead of what BBF wrote IMO

If Ron would have submitted more songs like his entire Hermit album (grungeish) I'm sure that would have caught Axls attention more

22 hours ago, Mendez said:

Argentina was cool musically, but vocally not so much for me, even though I still like it. Axl would have had to write new melodies and lyrics, and we know how long that takes.

Simple days (another rejected GNR song IIRC) chorus sounds A plus to me as a whole, but the verses need something else going on instead of what BBF wrote IMO

If Ron would have submitted more songs like his entire Hermit album (grungeish) I'm sure that would have caught Axls attention more

I get the impression from Ron that it didn't really have anything to do with the amount of ideas given or what was already there as far as melodies & lyrics. 

From what I can tell, Axl felt strongly that he had a ton of A+ material already that would only need to be aurgented going forward. 

I believe that if the album had come out in 2006, we still would have had a chance to hear more albums from the 2006/7 lineup.

I think it would have all just been reworking of the material from 199/200/2001 for the next 2 - 3 albums. I really don't think anything written by Ron or anyone else would've been included until way later.