Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to throw an Elvis concert on in honor of the day. 

I got one of his jackets from Lansky Bros the other day.  Not his actual one but one like it   I have a feeling I might look an absolute cunt in it but I got it anyway!  

there's this new compilation of 11 recorded shows of elvis, in 1969 when he just returned to live performing, and it's totally awesome. Here, the band is still very much rock n roll and Elvis still si

  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Just thought I would bump this thread because, well, it's Elvis. That is all.

I had a member of the forum over to the crib to spin records last week. At some point in the night we spin Elvis In Concert front to back. 

There are some low lights on that record but goddammit, there are a LOT of highlights too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I had a member of the forum over to the crib to spin records last week. At some point in the night we spin Elvis In Concert front to back. 

There are some low lights on that record but goddammit, there are a LOT of highlights too.

It's amazing how Elvis' vocals seemed to get more powerful as he aged considering his lifestyle.  It's just a testament to his god given ability/talent. Some of the studio guys said they never heard his voice tire or give out during those marathon recording sessions. He did occasionally have to cancel shows in Vegas because of throat problems due to the dry air. But I always suspected that was probably due more to Elvis not being in the best condition, for whatever reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It's amazing how Elvis' vocals seemed to get more powerful as he aged considering his lifestyle.  It's just a testament to his god given ability/talent. Some of the studio guys said they never heard his voice tire or give out during those marathon recording sessions. He did occasionally have to cancel shows in Vegas because of throat problems due to the dry air. But I always suspected that was probably due more to Elvis not being in the best condition, for whatever reason. 

Yeah and that's ultimately why I love playing Elvis In Concert for people. Sure, there's unfortunate stuff on there like Are You Lonesome Tonight or the world's laziest version of Hound Dog BUT there's also stuff like my favorite version of You Gave Me A Mountain or the incredible version of Hurt, not to mention the a haunting rendition of My Way. 

56 minutes ago, action said:

I really like the 1974 live on stage in memphis concert. it's a fun, loose concert with strong versions of songs and gems like "my baby left me" and "lawdy miss clawdy"

I have a 4 LP version of that show actually. The first 2 LPs a sound board recording of the show before it. Then the other 2 LPs are the entire show from Memphis, which was never released before. Previously every version available had 2 or 3 songs cut. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soon said:

Did Wanda Jackson and Elvis have much influence on one another? Did they share any musicians or producers?

 

I could be wrong, but I think briefly dated. 

Side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Wanda a couple of years ago. It was such a cool experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I could be wrong, but I think briefly dated. 

Side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Wanda a couple of years ago. It was such a cool experience. 

I think they did, yeah. She was country and then went rock n roll. So I got to wondering if they got into rock together or whatever.

You got to meet her?? That is too cool!! I remember seeing an interview with her and Jack White and she came across as an absolute delight. Like, they just dont make em like that anymore! Where did you meet her?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soon said:

I think they did, yeah. She was country and then went rock n roll. So I got to wondering if they got into rock together or whatever.

You got to meet her?? That is too cool!! I remember seeing an interview with her and Jack White and she came across as an absolute delight. Like, they just dont make em like that anymore! Where did you meet her?

She played a tiny place in Detroit called El Club. The place is sketchy AF but I braved the sketchy-ness just to see her. 

A friend of a friend of a friend told us to wait in a certain area after the show and she came to meet us. It was very quick, her "people" said we couldn't ask for pics or anything, but it was still very cool. 

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Cool, which one?

I threw on Madison Square Garden, 72 because I was in a car full of people and it's the concert that would go over the best. 

Heading home soon and I've had a couple of cocktails so I'll probably put That's The Way It Is on as I fall asleep. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Can't believe today is the anniversary of his death. Crazy. So long ago. his legend will live on forever.

My mom was a fan, not a huge fan, but she loved his movies. So many good songs were in those movies even though I heard Elvis hated making those movies. 

 

Yeah, Elvis said he would get physically ill reading some of those scripts. But, by most accounts, Elvis and the Memphis Mafia had a great time making most of those movies. And they were big money makers. But Elvis was chomping at the bit to fulfill his movie obligations and get back to performing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just rewatched That's The Way It Is last night on TCM. That's such great stuff, I like the rehearsal footage as much as the concert. Seeing Elvis goofing around with the guys and explaining to one of The Sweet Inspirations that a backup singer wasn't available because of a family situation. Those intimate moments are so cool. And most of those times when they were goofing around it was genuinely funny. Elvis was at ease around those guys and it showed.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Just rewatched That's The Way It Is last night on TCM. That's such great stuff, I like the rehearsal footage as much as the concert. Seeing Elvis goofing around with the guys and explaining to one of The Sweet Inspirations that a backup singer wasn't available because of a family situation. Those intimate moments are so cool. And most of those times when they were goofing around it was genuinely funny. Elvis was at ease around those guys and it showed.

TTWII is an excellent document of why Elvis was a bad ass. Like you mentioned, the rehearsal scenes are as good or better than the concert footage. It's a really good peak into what a great arranger Elvis was. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He really was, when he was explaining what he wanted in Words and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. He kind of took a good natured dig at the male back up singers, might've been Charlie Hodge, when he said "it sounds like they're lost, which is true but we don't need to emphasize it."😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

He really was, when he was explaining what he wanted in Words and Bridge Over Troubled Waters. He kind of took a good natured dig at the male back up singers, might've been Charlie Hodge, when he said "it sounds like they're lost, which is true but we don't need to emphasize it."😄

Heard this song the other day on Sirius Elvis channel in my truck... so great

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...