Slash’s Playing is SIC Right now

1 hour ago, ZoSo said:

Some may prefer technical-Slash from NITL and some prefer drunk-Slash from the 90's. 

And some (like me) just like it all!!

There is definitely something to what you said about the songs being played to fast.. Sometimes it feels like Slash is just trying to keep up with the unnatural tempos of the songs. 

I also think Slash was playing better than he ever had while playing with SMKC prior to the reunion. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 3

There's absolutely no emotion in that solo what so ever. It's boring and not very inspirational. Yes he's playing quickly but there's no structure to it at all.

Speed&shredding in itself is not something very bad, but Slash is far from being best at it, while UYI era Slash was all time great at "Gilmour"(?) style soloing.

Speedy shredding, when it's done right, can be very fitting even in Slash's classic repertoire, just better when it's not him doing it ;)

Edited by tadskis
clarity

On November 5, 2019 at 5:54 PM, ZoSo said:

I'd take any of his sloppy drunk solos from the 90's over anything on the NITL tour, or his recent solo tour. For example, this Wicked Stone performance from London this year sounds like an almost isolated guitar track:

There's absolutely no emotion in that solo what so ever. It's boring and not very inspirational. Yes he's playing quickly but there's no structure to it at all.

4:00 on is a fucking ace guitar solo! :headbang:

I mean, as I said in an earlier post, those held notes are always shorter now then they were back in the day, and imho its due to shyness. But I feel a lot of emoting and expression here, personally. As always Slash will noodle until finding himself hitting too many blue notes, at which time he moves on to the next set of licks he has ready. And nit picking, his trem-picked arpeggios are a little bit like 'grade 8 guitar shop licks' but they are few and passing.

I mean if that solo aint tasty af, then please accept me as your guitar student? :P

• Like 4

On 5.11.2019 at 11:54 PM, ZoSo said:

Slash has definitely changed his playing style over the past few years. He's still awesome, and still my favourite player but I really do prefer his older style; slower, melodic and passionate.

I'd take any of his sloppy drunk solos from the 90's over anything on the NITL tour, or his recent solo tour. For example, this Wicked Stone performance from London this year sounds like an almost isolated guitar track:

Compared to this Tokyo '92 solo in Double Talkin' Jive:

The difference is night and day to me, but I guess it's all down to what you prefer. Some may prefer technical-Slash from NITL and some prefer drunk-Slash from the 90's. I'm very much in the latter camp.

Also, the main problem with NITL is the songs are played way way faster than they used to be played on the Illusions tour. That will naturally speed up a guitar player and force them to be reaching for notes quicker than they'd prefer.

Just my 2p anyway :-)

Oh, and saying Clapton, Richards, Harrison and Robertson are not big time guitar players is off the fucking map. Can't believe I just read that!

Wow, that Wicked Stone noodling is just bad. It's not very musical at all, just wanking for it's own sake. Whats the point? I really hope we get old school Slash lead guitar work on any new GnR material, not this shit. 

• Like 4

On 11/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, El Guapo said:

Wow, that Wicked Stone noodling is just bad. It's not very musical at all, just wanking for it's own sake. Whats the point? I really hope we get old school Slash lead guitar work on any new GnR material, not this shit. 

Why would you compare two completely different songs with a different band to measure his passion/skill level?....DTJive is naturally a far superior and emotional song.

If your going to compare UYI era to now era you would get both DTJive's and compare with those two, or two of the same other song. Personally, hearing the latest DTJivess, Slash is absolutely incredible and has grown as a musician talently and has never been better and thats not in any way shape or form saying he wasnt absolutely incredible back then. I think his work with Richard has made him better as well. His emotions are up there on top as before and his skill level has grown to another level.

Edited by ax1

I think the reason Slash is doing more speedy shredding these days is because:

a. He is sober, so can concentrate better 

b. He has had several decades more practice than in the 80s/90s

c. He feels he has to compensate for not being as 'technical' as other guitarists in the past. 

Although in the 80s/90s he presented himself as a Hendrix type bluesy emotional 'feel' guitarist than a speedy Van Halen copy, part of him probably wants to show us all that he can shred if he wants to. 

But actually he doesn't have to, because his old style was fucking awesome and still contained some fast playing in measured doses. Argentina DTJ from '92 is better than the NITL performances, imo.

Despite his sometimes 'sloppiness' in the old days I'd still rather watch a low quality video of him fucking up and restarting the SCOM intro three times (like in Ritz 91) than Ashba completely butchering the same song with an out of tune guitar AND having the cheek to wear a top hat, on whatever shitshow than was in the nu GNR era. 

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SLASH is a professional Guitar Player - Playing In mostly any genre - The Cat is a Pros Pro 

Virtuoso - No matter what style or band or artist he is playing with on stage or in the studio he masters it 

Look at his Discography- It’s a who’s who of who he had performed with on stage and in the studio- Old School - Modern Day and Present day Guitar God - But what do I know - Slash can play with any artist and kill it - The Riff Master 

Edited by TMAC20

12 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

He is sober now! Good for him but I guess it has take away the feeling and the soul in his playing 🤔 Just my thought 

I'm happy for people when they get sober, so I can't disagree with that at all. However, I really don't think his sobriety has anything to do with it. He comes off as just not giving at shit, at least to me. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Creed said:

Slash is probably bored with playing the same stuff on every gig...gnr classics are cool, but without new stuff its just boring...

i don't think he's bored with it, playing in front of huge audiences is far too intense an experience to become 'boring', and he admits he still gets nervous, but still it's his favourite thing. However you could say it had lost its spontaneity because it's all done by a regimented system now. They would say that's just mature professionalism probably.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't know how to say it any clearer lol. I just think Slash plays like he couldn't care less to be there. 

Fair. Unfortunately I get that vibe from the band in general but thus the course from a rehearsed cash cow such as modern Guns. Slash could just be super nervous, guy has always been super reserved on stage anyway, but yeah, he does seem more comfortable with Myles. Must be boring for Duff and Slash to play such a similar show for almost 4 years now, wouldn’t be surprised if they just turn on autopilot with Axl.

8 hours ago, Creed said:

Slash is probably bored with playing the same stuff on every gig...gnr classics are cool, but without new stuff its just boring...

I get kind of sick of practicing guitar to AFD sometimes.

He's got like 30 years of playing those songs on me, haha.

You can only stretch out so much within those boxes.... hence the bowls full of shreddies on some nights, I figure :) .

Plus... I think the worst concert in the 80's or 90's was probably way more interesting as a player than concerts nowadays... in terms of the crowd vibe... except maybe those occasional Central / South American shows.

Edited by Ant

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't know how to say it any clearer lol. I just think Slash plays like he couldn't care less to be there. 

Probably the reason for his endless noodling majority of the time. I cant think.of a reason w hy you need KOHD to go for between 10 to 15mins.

After seeing SKMC this year slash seems so much more looser and at ease. Probably because the shows are less regimented.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ant said:

I get kind of sick of practicing guitar to AFD sometimes.

He's got like 30 years of playing those songs on me, haha.

You can only stretch out so much within those boxes.... hence the bowls full of shreddies on some nights, I figure :) .

Plus... I think the worst concert in the 80's or 90's was probably way more interesting as a player than concerts nowadays... in terms of the crowd vibe... except maybe those occasional Central / South American shows.

Those concerts at South America were the best man :lol:

19 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Probably the reason for his endless noodling majority of the time. I cant think.of a reason w hy you need KOHD to go for between 10 to 15mins.

I think it could be because Axl genuinely needs breathing space, a break from straining himself, in order to do a 3 hour set. 

• Like 1