Jump to content

I had a drummer listen and play to drumless versions of "Better" (as well as other Chinese-era tracks), never having heard the originals


Recommended Posts

Scraped has been completed

 

He listened to an instrumental version of the song without most of BBF's guitars (with the exception of the vocals that are left in the "other instruments" track of the multitrack)

 

His thought's on the album version:

"haha I did the exact same snare thing at 0:31, but damn that tom beat is sweet. i really like the original. the main beats are very different than what i played. i like that tom beat a lot though"

Talking about the first verse riff and the chorus:

"yea I was really feeling that bass line and felt it should be almost funky there. I thought how I did those big chorus's with the slower feel was cool. I notice in the original the tempo feel doesnt change"

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mendez said:

Scraped has been completed

 

He listened to an instrumental version of the song without most of BBF's guitars (with the exception of the vocals that are left in the "other instruments" track of the multitrack)

 

His thought's on the album version:

"haha I did the exact same snare thing at 0:31, but damn that tom beat is sweet. i really like the original. the main beats are very different than what i played. i like that tom beat a lot though"

Talking about the first verse riff and the chorus:

"yea I was really feeling that bass line and felt it should be almost funky there. I thought how I did those big chorus's with the slower feel was cool. I notice in the original the tempo feel doesnt change"

I would like to hear that. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening now to Shacklers and Scraped.

Thought the drums let both songs breath a lot more. I do love Brain's original drums on Scraped (by far, the best thing on the track, but seriously in need of a better mixing) and missed some of his elements. It's interesting though how the disco bridge is reinterpreted as a more hardcore speedy feel. I loved the the change in the tempo in both songs, both provided a lot more dynamics to those busy arrangements. 

I really wish some of the songs had this more straight forward approach in the studio version though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sweet to hear these alternatives takes on the song! Don't know much about drumming to review them properly, but here's my take:

Better sounds kinda halfway between the original and DJ's version of the song;
Prostitute works almost like a sister ballad to This I Love.
TWAT i found really close to the original, and as such, a much more interisting alt drum take than any of the recent (+- dB). Also I really liked how the end could bridge into Atlas haha.
Same for the verse of Madagascar.
 

Shackler and Scraped were the ones that didn't quite work for me with so many signature changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, I felt it didnt match the mood and feel of the instrumental and lyrics. 

Ah yeah i can see that. Caught me off guard at first but I warmed up to it alot. But then i thought how do you even drum to a horn section without it just being a marching band snare roll

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, Mendez said:

Ah yeah i can see that. Caught me off guard at first but I warmed up to it alot. But then i thought how do you even drum to a horn section without it just being a marching band snare roll

lol, I dunno. Still, it may be because of how I already have some expectations about how this song "should" sound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

lol, I dunno. Still, it may be because of how I already have some expectations about how this song "should" sound.

yeah haha that's very likely. Prostitute still throws me off when im expecting the drum machines

Edited by Mendez
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3-11-2019 at 2:07 AM, Mendez said:
 

I also had him listen to and drum to TWAT, SR, Scraped, Prostitute, and Madagascar. With all of the tracks, I sent him drum and bassless versions so any rhythmic-locking-in that the bass track may have done would not influence them, while keeping all other instruments and vocals intact so he could feel the song

 

Was curious how an outside entity would drum to songs that we more or less know without any influence of how the drums are supposed to sound. Recently a bunch of old demos of these songs leaked online but with a different drummer. He played the same rhythmic parts  but with slight variations. so that made me think: how a different drummer would play the songs from scratch

 

Soundcloud wouldn't let me upload the original instruments with vocals, so excuse my cover

edit: replaced the cover, with an improved cover

 

Thoughts?

 

Update:

 

Could u post the links to these songs, or isn't it alowed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Sick. Sucks that we can't listen

It's a real damn shame. I would privately message you to describe my feelings of disappointment, but it seems your PMs are full

Edited by Mendez
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

We did "Oh My God"

 

He thought the drums on the original sounded badass btw, and that they gave it a totally different feel

 

Edited by Mendez
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...