GNRs Slash & Duff On New Ozzy Album

I enjoyed the other two tracks, but i have no idea what youre all talking about in praising this one!!:smiley-confused2:

Only three tracks released and already he's repeating melodies. The autotune is wayyyyy too much on this one. Ha, they even added a layer of auto-tuned voice to Elton, who needs no autotune!

Slashs solo is cool and all. He's definitely taking a page from Zakk on his vibrato and also ends on the same tension as My Little Man and No More Tears.

Solid drum performance but listen to what they did to the snare! Ugh! So tiny and unnatural, ready to not overwhelm the phone or computers speaker that you just listened to it on.

This song sounds like it was recorded in a hurry by a sick geezer. First Bono stopped using high quialtiy studio mics because listeners ears had begun demanding less. We accepted that and now this glorified demo is what we get.

.... Sorry :shrugs:

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Osbourne is 71 and practically senile yet he is still releasing new material. Rose is truly the laziest man to have ever graced rock. 

I wonder how Axl feels about this right now. His bandmates doing collaboration with Fn’ Ozzy and his idol Elton John and he is standing in the same point (except ACDC tour) for so many years

52 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

I wonder how Axl feels about this right now. His bandmates doing collaboration with Fn’ Ozzy and his idol Elton John and he is standing in the same point (except ACDC tour) for so many years

How should he feel about it? It's his fault and his fault only that things don't move with GnR.

4 hours ago, soon said:

Ha, they even added a layer of auto-tuned voice to Elton, who needs no autotune!

The souless autotune ruins the magic.

It's such a shame this is led by Post Malone's production team.. Even Slash sounds awful. The positive side of it is that we have a brand new Ozzy album in 2020, probably the last, and that's a miracle.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

The souless autotune ruins the magic.

It's such a shame this is led by Post Malone's production team.. Even Slash sounds awful. The positive side of it is that we have a brand new Ozzy album in 2020, probably the last, and that's a miracle.

I was just talking about this with my wife in the car last night. One of the new singles was on the radio (Something About A Cemetary......Hell In A Handbasket.........Bats, Demons & Witches........I dunno, one of those) and I said to my wife "Jesus, it's just awkward and wrong to hear Ozzy with so much auto tune on his vocals". My wife's argument was "Yeah, but isn't he like 70,000 years old?" I told her I wasn't sure if that number was accurate, but I'd still rather hear him sing without it. 

As for Post's production team; they're the only reason we're getting this album, so I'm divided on that. I don't like what I've heard so far but I'll at least listen to the whole album when it's released to see if them pushing the album was a good idea overall. 

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Osbourne is 71 and practically senile yet he is still releasing new material. Rose is truly the laziest man to have ever graced rock. 

Im sure when ozzy dies there wi ll be further ozzy tours all for the $$ using a hologram, DIO style.

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im sure when ozzy dies there wi ll be further ozzy tours all for the $$ using a hologram, DIO style.

As I have said before, Michael Jackson has released two albums since his demise. Jimi Hendrix has released three albums since 2010. Axl Rose is officially lazier and less creative than deceased people. Corpses have more creative spark than he does. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Naupis said:

Been a long ass time since a song grabbed me the way this one has.

The  lyrics are haunting and feel like a  heartfelt goodbye to  Ozzy's fans.

A paint by numbers Slash performance is totally on point, and the guy just has a way of "getting" me at  some point every time he does any kind of solo/outro in a ballad like this where I get that little  chill when he bends a note a certain way. It's why I have been following  him  the past 30 years and will until he kicks the bucket (hopefully waaaay down the road). 

Song just had so much more impact on me when I found myself  realizing Elton/Ozzy are in their early 70's and time is ticking away fast, even Slash  is 54. Makes you realize how fast time is  passing by.

I seen people likening this as  Ozzy's version of Johnny Cash doing "Hurt" at the end of the line, and it captures the feeling in much the same way.

(As an aside  it just illustrates how infuriating the Guns situation is when I hear Slash playing on a song with Ozzy/Elton, but Axl  still can't get motivated enough to realize how  lucky he is to have the guy at his disposal and make something happen. I loved reading through the comment section and  people saying they knew it was Slash playing  despite not having been mentioned anywhere on the video page because the guys sound is iconic and people just know it. How many guitar players are left in the world that people know who it is just by  the sound coming out of  his Les Paul. God help Axl and  his unparalleled ability to fritter away such a special resource).

Don’t forget me as the colors fade

When the lights go down it’s just an empty stage

Yes I’ve been a bad guy

Been higher than the blue sky

And the truth is I don’t wanna die an ordinary man

I made Momma cry

Don’t know why I’m still alive

Yes the truth is I don’t wanna die an ordinary man

Beautiful post man.

1 minute ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Already been postponed twice so I am betting on 3rd time lucky

Was thinking of booking tickets, as I've never seen Ozzy before and always love a bit of Priest, but may hold off till closer to the time and see how the Ozman is doing.

We’ve all lost the auto pitch correction war long ago so you know, behave accordingly. And in general with someone like Ozzie, it is borderline necessary. From what I read the production time in this was short on purpose, so to get pitch perfect Oz vocals would take forever just comping takes. Oz gets to focus on performance and emoting, tweak the pitch later. Fwiw, C.D. is every bit as pitch corrected, which I suspect contributed to that weird vocal blip in Scraped. 

however, despite that this album sounds way more raw than his recent stuff. Not 18 layers of chorus and delay and reverb on his vocal or the drums. I’m actually quite enjoying what has been released so far more than pretty much any Ozzie output since No More Tears (I did like the late Sabbath album, though). Slash was phoning it in, but Slash phoning it in is better than most.

32 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

We’ve all lost the auto pitch correction war long ago so you know, behave accordingly. And in general with someone like Ozzie, it is borderline necessary. From what I read the production time in this was short on purpose, so to get pitch perfect Oz vocals would take forever just comping takes. Oz gets to focus on performance and emoting, tweak the pitch later. Fwiw, C.D. is every bit as pitch corrected, which I suspect contributed to that weird vocal blip in Scraped. 

however, despite that this album sounds way more raw than his recent stuff. Not 18 layers of chorus and delay and reverb on his vocal or the drums. I’m actually quite enjoying what has been released so far more than pretty much any Ozzie output since No More Tears (I did like the late Sabbath album, though). Slash was phoning it in, but Slash phoning it in is better than most.

How can you tell if a voice has been autotuned? Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never understood how people can tell this sort of stuff.

50 minutes ago, Towelie said:

How can you tell if a voice has been autotuned? Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never understood how people can tell this sort of stuff.

I'm no expert, so I can't give an in-depth answer, but to me it just sounds artificial. If you want easy-to-hear examples, just listen to a modern r&b/pop song. Post Malone is one example here.

I don't really give a shit anyway; it's a nice song in my opinion, and it's a miracle that Ozzy is still alive:lol:

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

You probably can't hear it because every fucking artist is using it. But you can hear it on CD during songs like Better, Street Of Dreams and Scraped (from the top of my head).

There's some very unnatural vocal stuff on that album and on pretty much any album by any artist nowadays.

Edit: What's worse is that they're using it live because not 1 singer / rapper has talent and can sound OK live.

Edited by UcudBmine

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Really you can just assume everything around the late 90’s onward is auto tuned. There are a select few who don’t, but in general it’s just as much a fact of modern production as compression. I’ll also break some hearts and say that most drumming you hear recorded post that time may be recorded live, but have tempo digitally quantized and most of the hits a reproduced and programmed on top of the live track. 

one of the best ways to tell though is compare it to something you know isn’t pitch corrected, preferably a modern produced one, and compare. Despite your feelings about him, Morrissey is one who to my ear rarely if ever uses pitch correction and there are moments you can hear it in his later work, particularly the Tony Visconti produces album “Ringleader of the Tormentors.” Doesn’t mean there aren’t techniques to keep it in pitch or mask grace notes, you can double the vocal, wash it in chorus and reverb, but still. 

personally I don’t really care, the recording is how the artist wants to represent themselves. There are plenty of artists who are incredible vocalists who use this technology to make production easier, cheaper, and faster. I think I said earlier, the anti pitch correction war was lost long ago. All these new tricks and technology make music sound incredible these days. I love a nasty sounding hardcore record or black metal album as much as anyone, but there’s no shame in enjoying what’s out there now.

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Lots of good answers already posted. 

Part of the aforementioned 'artificial sound' is the issue of tracking. In regards to audio FX, 'tracking' is about how quickly the FX unit can keep up in real time with the actual performance. When the tracking is legging on autotune you get these like scoops, flutters, dramatic ups and downs in pitch. The worse the performance, the more the autotune is overloaded and we hear the tracking issues.

To my ears Elton didnt need autotune but they added a second layer of his vocals with autotune. Meaning they must have put him slightly off on the overdub so that the autotune would be audible (to keep uniform with Ozzys mix)!! haha

Chers single "Believe" has a similar effect in the verses. Now, I highly suspect she is in fact using a separate FX called a Vocoder, which gives a robotic sound to the vocals. But its still worth a listen because its very similar to the articial sound and the fluttering that autotune also produces. The vocoder is more exaggerated then the average autotune though.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, soon said:

I enjoyed the other two tracks, but i have no idea what youre all talking about in praising this one!!:smiley-confused2:

Only three tracks released and already he's repeating melodies. The autotune is wayyyyy too much on this one. Ha, they even added a layer of auto-tuned voice to Elton, who needs no autotune!

Slashs solo is cool and all. He's definitely taking a page from Zakk on his vibrato and also ends on the same tension as My Little Man and No More Tears.

Solid drum performance but listen to what they did to the snare! Ugh! So tiny and unnatural, ready to not overwhelm the phone or computers speaker that you just listened to it on.

This song sounds like it was recorded in a hurry by a sick geezer. First Bono stopped using high quialtiy studio mics because listeners ears had begun demanding less. We accepted that and now this glorified demo is what we get.

.... Sorry :shrugs:

Can you elaborate a little on Bono and the mics? 

For what it's worth, I love "Ordinary Man." 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:44 AM, sl4yer said:

I don't know. Seems to me if he wanted to, he could have probably participated in this song. Can you imagine Axl also doing a verse on "Ordinary Man"? I couldn't handle it.

Edited by GnR Chris