Show Opener and Closer

Rocket Queen would be a great song to close a show but only if it was played the way they used to do back in the 86-93 era. The solo just goes on too long in the current version and seems to take the sting out the song a bit especially  for a closing song. PC is still a great closing song and I can’t imagine it being any other way. 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ant said:

You don’t enjoy it the same when there’s confetti everywhere and you’re thinking about getting to your car.

That’s so true, of the 6 or so times I’ve seen gnr live I’ve probably only seen the end of PC twice as normally we make a run for it to avoid the crowds.

• Like 3

On 09. 11. 2019. at 12:47 PM, Tom2112 said:

Like it or not the current set includes the majority of gnrs best and most well known work, there's a handful of other songs 'dust n bones, pretty tied up, 14 years, the garden' that they could add in though. 

I am 100% behind them overhauling the set and adding new songs, but there's a ton of afd heavy hitters that need to be played, and there's a fair few uyi songs that need to be played so what they add in between is probably 20% of the set. So I'll be generous and 35% needs to change. Even crowd favourites get rested for a tour every once in a while. Maiden didn't  play run to the hills for a tour a in the early 00s and nobody rioted. I went to see Aerosmith in 07 and they didn't  play dude looks like a lady (disappointing) nobody rioted.

hey, I didn't say you, they or anyone else has to agree.

If I was Axl, I would have enough balls to replace NR with Breakdown, play Locomotive, Pretty tied up, replace ISE with Nightrain.

Honestly, whoever wanted to see them play those songs - had last 30 years to do so.

They always tried to pull the image of a band that doesn't care, well last 30 years Axl DOES play VERY safe

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

hey, I didn't say you, they or anyone else has to agree.

If I was Axl, I would have enough balls to replace NR with Breakdown, play Locomotive, Pretty tied up, replace ISE with Nightrain.

Honestly, whoever wanted to see them play those songs - had last 30 years to do so.

They always tried to pull the image of a band that doesn't care, well last 30 years Axl DOES play VERY safe

Trust me, very few people would agree. Yes, over the last 30 years gnr fans have had plenty of chances to see those songs live. The new GNR fan however has not, and it makes a lot of sense to tailor your set for the first timers, the "I might check them out again type", the "I got a free ticket type" as well as the hardcore nutters looking for Breakdown. 

There's no way in any scenario that a band replaces one of their biggest hit songs (NV) with a song like Breakdown which is basically unknown outside of UYI fanatics. Just isn't a good idea. They play Coma, they now play Dead horse and Locomotive. They play a bunch of deep cuts from CD, in my book the deep cuts are well and truly covered. Shake it up by all means, but let's be realistic with our expectations.

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Trust me, very few people would agree. Yes, over the last 30 years gnr fans have had plenty of chances to see those songs live. The new GNR fan however has not, and it makes a lot of sense to tailor your set for the first timers, the "I might check them out again type", the "I got a free ticket type" as well as the hardcore nutters looking for Breakdown. 

There's no way in any scenario that a band replaces one of their biggest hit songs (NV) with a song like Breakdown which is basically unknown outside of UYI fanatics. Just isn't a good idea. They play Coma, they now play Dead horse and Locomotive. They play a bunch of deep cuts from CD, in my book the deep cuts are well and truly covered. Shake it up by all means, but let's be realistic with our expectations.

personally, I cameto a point where I just flip stations/chaneels when NR, Jungle, Easy come on.

They did play Dead Horse and Locomtive - twice, will they again?

As far as CD is considered...I consider that an obscure mishappening and can live w/o them ever playing a single tune. They should just hit the stage and play what they feel lke instead of playing safe 4 years and playing like 10 covers a night.

True...Not sure Ax can sing other songs anymore