YCMB intro!

PopcornAdler

24 minutes ago, soon said:

I thought Duff claimed to write the drum intro? Or maybe Duff wrote the part that locks in with his bass so tight under the guitar intro?

Someone complimented Matt on the YCBM intro in an interview to which Matt said he had to give credit to Duff cause he  was the one who came up with that drum intro.

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Yeah Matt came up with the very beginning part.

he explains it all in much detail here-

https://youtu.be/LxXAoXq2EmA

I distinctly remember he said Duff came up with it in another interview and he made it sound like Duff came up with the entire drum intro. This clip makes sense so I wonder why he said Duff came up with it.

38 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I distinctly remember he said Duff came up with it in another interview and he made it sound like Duff came up with the entire drum intro. This clip makes sense so I wonder why he said Duff came up with it.

Id say that duff came up with the actual drum beat intro as it has a real punk vibe to it and Matt simply added that terry bozzio style fill at the start.

Edited by megaguns1982

48 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Id say that duff came up with the actual drum beat intro as it has a real punk vibe to it and Matt simply added that terry bozzio style fill at the start.

That's what I inferred from what Matt said in the clip you've posted and it seems likely cause Duff was a drummer in a punk band but it's not how Matt described it in an older interview. Sorum is not exactly the most modest guy in the world so it was just surprising to me that he didn't specify what he added to it but I can't find the link anyway and this is a good enough of an explanation.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

At 18:10 Matt credits Duff for coming up with the intro:

Nice find. And that wasn't even the interview I was talking about so he said it was Duff's idea at least twice. His explanation of how he added his idea to it is logical though. Not sure if Duff came up with the entire intro. Does sound like a Terry Bozzio thing, an idea I can see Matt coming up with.

It's quite a different fill. This has single kicks, no doubles. I'm pretty sure the whole fill on UYI is doubles based.

Not sure who came up with the beat after the drum fill intro, but it was written before Matts time. I've heard Adler playing it, and I'd take Matts version any day of the week. Adlers sounds sloppy, Matts sounds tight and groovy!