Do you think Axl is "over" Chinese Democracy?

1 hour ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

Alright, but how many ballads do we actually have in the album?

We have This I Love and Street of Dreams, with the first one that allegedly is about her and is the one that got actually played almost every night until a few months ago.

I don't know, if a relationship held that much weight I wouldn't dream of playing a song that reminds me of it every single night, especially when GnR is in a rather peaceful place and doesn't really have to put any "sentimental" effort.

fair enough 

i feel as though this i love was pretty cringe though - but thats my personal point of view 

also catcher in the rye has that whiney tone as well, street of dreams, prostitute (the only track i kinda like) they are all with that tone of poor Axl 

guarantee that slash did not identify at all with this un rock starish wailing, the opposite of his personality which is really being comfortable with who he is

i would include madagascar as well but that is a decent track that is deep in its own right on another level 

the other tracks i have no comment on, i can't assess them at all, i know some of you like this album, but it's not very cohesive from a story telling point of view if that makes any sense 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

6 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I guarantee "Nothing" is one of those songs

Also, I just made a connection from the next passage in Chinese Whispers:

Youth signed on as producer in April 1998 - 18 months prior would have been October 1996, the month Slash quit

So Axl was recording vocals for the new album up until Slash quit...and then stopped

Maybe "Hard School" is in fact from the 1996 sessions

I've been saying that Hard School is from the 96 sessions ever since it leaked. The song structure is very similar to classic GNR. It sounds nothing like the CD sessions. I would be shocked if we ever learn that it came from  the CD sessions. 

Maybe between a rock and a hard place. He worked so long on all this, just to have musicians leaving, trouble with managers, promoters, record company, reception and all. And who knows what went on behind scenes. There might be no reunion without CD if that's what it took to one hand make him secure about himself and on the other hand realise he can't carry the weight of the world on his own shoulders all the time. That album and era is so complex, you could write a book and not even scratch the surface. Who knows - unless Axl really opens up about it all we will never know. Maybe in reflection, the "long road home" will inspire him to come up with new songs and lyrics in the future.

I dont think he'll ever be over it honestly, the whole CD era was probably a shock of reality for the guy, we can all pretend Axl is so humble and whatever the fuck people say about him these days, but he probably tought he was Guns N' Roses and whatever he released would be acclaimed.

When he got back in 2000, losing most of the original fanbase and with a lot of people seeing him as a curiosity, that probably hurt his ego a lot and some years later (2006-2008 I guess) he realized that he and himself wasn't enough to be Guns N' Roses, getting even more hurt by it.

So, the way I see it, he probably still wants that material to be considered legit by the masses as he still performs a lot of it but is so afraid to release a "CD2" and fail again that he'll never do it. 

Theres probably the fear of releasing it and being successful just because Slash is playing on it.

And theres also the scenario where he release an album full of Slash material and it is a sucess, undermining his grandiose visions way more. 

I guess for Axls ego theres no win on this situation :lol:

• Like 2

In any case, whatever he feels (and we don’t know), things definitely could have been very different if it wasn’t for the fights with the producers and the business people around, the constant lingering and delays, if they kept releasing new material on like a biyearly basis, changing playlists, and communicating with fans normally, including a proper web, social media (with professionals knowing how to do that job), etc., which definitely wasn’t the case. So the music itself – even though there are better versions, as we now know – isn’t to be blamed for whatever let-downs may concern this era.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

I've been saying that Hard School is from the 96 sessions ever since it leaked. The song structure is very similar to classic GNR. It sounds nothing like the CD sessions. I would be shocked if we ever learn that it came from  the CD sessions. 

Yessss, the way the rhythm guitar carries itself and the chorus are Guns by definition, I don't know if Slash had any participation in it but the rhythmic compartment definitely rings a bell.

That's why I love Hard School, it's the very concept of modern sounding GnR that CD -although it may still be my favourite album by the band - lacked. 

12 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

fair enough 

i feel as though this i love was pretty cringe though - but thats my personal point of view 

also catcher in the rye has that whiney tone as well, street of dreams, prostitute (the only track i kinda like) they are all with that tone of poor Axl 

guarantee that slash did not identify at all with this un rock starish wailing, the opposite of his personality which is really being comfortable with who he is

i would include madagascar as well but that is a decent track that is deep in its own right on another level 

the other tracks i have no comment on, i can't assess them at all, i know some of you like this album, but it's not very cohesive from a story telling point of view if that makes any sense 

Well I have to agree, This I Love is definitely pretty cringey, still a great song nonetheless but I get what you're saying.

I actually like the sorta "whiney" vibe to some of the tracks, to me it's one of the things that make Axl unique and relatable to my eyes, the way he can open up and let his sensitivity - with his thorns and all that - perspire through the pieces. I think that it's something that actually makes me appreciate him more, the fuck it rock n roll vibe tends to get old after a little while.

As a matter of fact I find Slash's solo material - Snakepit excluded - pretty boring, I think he needs a platform to let his expressivity and musical sensitivity shine, and maybe he can't get there by himself 'cause of the rock n roll frame he limits himself to. I may be pulling all of this stuff out of my ass though, maybe he just has more fun writing classic hard rock pieces.

All in all the differences between the characters are pretty much visible by their musical outputs.

I also have to agree with you about the cohesiveness of the album, but I guess that's because of all the time passing between the actual writing work and the release.

On 23/11/2019 at 6:19 PM, GNRfanJen said:

What I mean is, all the fuckery that came with making and releasing that album, the lukewarm reception to it, etc. I mean, all of that clearly took a toll on him for a long time. But it's been 11 years now, do you think he still holds any resentment, anger, or insecurity about this album? 

Edit: I should clarify that when I mention anger and insecurity, I’m not referring to the album itself, but the process of releasing it and the reception of it. 

There still might be some resentment, but there must be a sense of everything being in the past.

The whole making of CD saga was a shame on many levels, but a triumph for Axl at the same time because he persevered and it was released eventually.

Slash and Duff coming back will be forever a big thing, and I am really happy for the band and their recent tour success. They deserve it, and I hope they are now able to do their thing, whatever it may be. 

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

A rerecording of Shadow Of Your Love with this line up of the band would be fantastic.

Well, if management have disconnected from the forums, this is what they are missing.

It could be a niche B side on vinyl single, or something else. That is what they would be missing, and why there is value here and anywhere else forum like. Good and sensible suggestions.

Edited by Mysteron
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

Well, if management have disconnected from the forums, this is what they are missing.

It could be a niche B side on vinyl single, or something else. That is what they would be missing, and why there is value here and anywhere else forum like. Good and sensible suggestions.

Or a brand new version of Don't Cry told from the perspective of a tranny.

Edited by Rovim
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

Yessss, the way the rhythm guitar carries itself and the chorus are Guns by definition, I don't know if Slash had any participation in it but the rhythmic compartment definitely rings a bell.

That's why I love Hard School, it's the very concept of modern sounding GnR that CD -although it may still be my favourite album by the band - lacked. 

Well I have to agree, This I Love is definitely pretty cringey, still a great song nonetheless but I get what you're saying.

I actually like the sorta "whiney" vibe to some of the tracks, to me it's one of the things that make Axl unique and relatable to my eyes, the way he can open up and let his sensitivity - with his thorns and all that - perspire through the pieces. I think that it's something that actually makes me appreciate him more, the fuck it rock n roll vibe tends to get old after a little while.

As a matter of fact I find Slash's solo material - Snakepit excluded - pretty boring, I think he needs a platform to let his expressivity and musical sensitivity shine, and maybe he can't get there by himself 'cause of the rock n roll frame he limits himself to. I may be pulling all of this stuff out of my ass though, maybe he just has more fun writing classic hard rock pieces.

All in all the differences between the characters are pretty much visible by their musical outputs.

I also have to agree with you about the cohesiveness of the album, but I guess that's because of all the time passing between the actual writing work and the release.

yeah slashs sollo stuff is indeed boring and then you have axl's solo stuff pretty cringe borderline emo - they need each other to succeed end of day and to go into rock god legendary status well, the iz mister is the missing piece

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

Hardschool is more like classic GNR. I personally think Axl & Duff wrote it in '95 or '96 with it going toward that Jackie Chan movie, hence why Axl said the title was Jackie Chan. The only thing is the guitars dont really sound like Slash in my opinion. I know we think the lyrics are about Slash, but I think the lyrics are more about Izzy than Slash possibly why Slash is on board with rehearsing it...

• Like 2

Axl also said on Kimmel if he could go back he would relive the past 5 or 6 year cuz he has more fun  

maybe we care more than he. That said , he should be proud of Chinese democracy. And I’m proud to say it’s my favorite album, too 

Edited by suckerpunched03

21 minutes ago, suckerpunched03 said:

Axl also said on Kimmel if he could go back he would relive the past 5 or 6 year cuz he has more fun  

maybe we care more than he. That said , he should be proud of Chinese democracy. And I’m proud to say it’s my favorite album, too 

Is there a link to the kimmel show?. I never knew of this interview.

9 hours ago, suckerpunched03 said:

Kimmel said after that interview that he brought up Slash backstage to Axl (Jimmy's friends with Slash) and Axl got mad at him

Axl's whole M.O. was "I'M SO NOT MAD, LOOK I'M HAVING FUN" from 2000-2014 - he was obviously still bitter about Slash leaving

That Kimmel interview was the one where Axl listed off the current member's names and the audience had to fake-applaud even though they had no idea who any of them they were - it was fucking cringe

"Bumblefoot"

source.gif

Edited by TheSeeker

23 hours ago, djones1225 said:

out

23 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Hardschool is more like classic GNR. I personally think Axl & Duff wrote it in '95 or '96 with it going toward that Jackie Chan movie, hence why Axl said the title was Jackie Chan. The only thing is the guitars dont really sound like Slash in my opinion. I know we think the lyrics are about Slash, but I think the lyrics are more about Izzy than Slash possibly why Slash is on board with rehearsing it...

Hardschool has Robin and Bucket (towards the end) on it. Brain drums. Maybe it was written in the late '90s, but it is certainly a "new GN'R" song. I think it was labeled with having new Axl vocals too on the CD it came on from 2000. 

On 24/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Angelica said:

On and off from early 91’ to around Christmas ‘92. And it was a long distance thing the majority of that time. 

So in terms of illusions2 with breakdown and estranged who woukd have been in axls mind when he wrote those songs i wonder?. I doubt they were about erin 🤔

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

So in terms of illusions2 with breakdown and estranged who woukd have been in axls mind when he wrote those songs i wonder?. I doubt they were about erin 🤔

Why? Those songs were being written as they were falling apart. Estranged is definitely about Erin, he’s spoken about it. She was his muse (his words) so I’d put Breakdown, Locomotive, alt lyrics Don’t Cry in her column too.

I mean, Stephanie is  ostensibly playing her in the videos she did with GNR 🤣 For better and worse, Erin and that relationship was a significant inspiration for him.

Edited by Angelica