Solutions

47 minutes ago, MANEK said:

Tryin to pump up my numbers. Apparently I’d need a good 2900 more posts to be a part of the club despite the fact I’ve been to dozens of shows and check this site multiple times a day for maybe the last 13 years. Talk about limiting or alienating the fan base.

I would understand the aggravation if that was the actual rule, but it's not. It was just someone's suggestion, and a rather lame one, may I add, so relax.

Edited by jamillos
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MANEK said:

Tryin to pump up my numbers. Apparently I’d need a good 2900 more posts to be a part of the club despite the fact I’ve been to dozens of shows and check this site multiple times a day for maybe the last 13 years. Talk about limiting or alienating the fan base.

LOL, what?

Did you miss all the posts about how we're just working through ideas at this point? A private section will most likely not be the best or most practical solution, but at least it's an idea. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MANEK said:

Nah, it's all about charm and social grace being part of the club so you'll be fine......oh...hold on.....

5 hours ago, MANEK said:

Great! Who are you?

Edit- I cannot believe how whiny people are about ideas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Great! Who are you?

Edit- I cannot believe how whiny people are about ideas. 

I don't think such a stance is beneficial to creating a healthy community, which is the first and most important goal to achieve here. (right?)

it's all in that line "who are you?". that just says it all: people being appreciated according to post count.

This is all your good right of course. you ARE allowed to judge people according to post count. But this stance is hard to reconcile with a policy of creating a warm, welcoming community.  One can not exist next to the other.

As it stands, I feel this is the way going forward: to alienate some users of this message board, to create a division between people according to post count, and all the problems this brings with it.

I understand, this seems necessary, and the circumstances force us to do so, but anyway, let's call a cat a cat: not everyone will remain equal, and things are starting to look ugly (already).

Which brings me to my next question: is this the board we want to create? Is a divided board preferrable to the one we have now? I don't have the answer, but those who make the decisions should be well aware of the impact of their decisions.

34 minutes ago, action said:

I don't think such a stance is beneficial to creating a healthy community, which is the first and most important goal to achieve here. (right?)

it's all in that line "who are you?". that just says it all: people being appreciated according to post count.

This is all your good right of course. you ARE allowed to judge people according to post count. But this stance is hard to reconcile with a policy of creating a warm, welcoming community.  One can not exist next to the other.

As it stands, I feel this is the way going forward: to alienate some users of this message board, to create a division between people according to post count, and all the problems this brings with it.

I understand, this seems necessary, and the circumstances force us to do so, but anyway, let's call a cat a cat: not everyone will remain equal, and things are starting to look ugly (already).

Which brings me to my next question: is this the board we want to create? Is a divided board preferrable to the one we have now? I don't have the answer, but those who make the decisions should be well aware of the impact of their decisions.

I have zero issue with new posters or low post counts. I do have an issue with circus freaks taking down YouTube videos, attacking this website, and doxxing people. I made this thread to offer some potential ideas to help the issue. 

I am just surprised to see so many users whine and complain they would be locked out of nonexistent sections. Secret media sections is a good idea and would benefit good users. Yes, some people wouldnt access them but not everyone can be trusted off the bat. Thats the reality of this. They can still post on all the same sections they do now, they lose nothing but whine anyways

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I have zero issue with new posters or low post counts. I do have an issue with circus freaks taking down YouTube videos, attacking this website, and doxxing people. I made this thread to offer some potential ideas to help the issue. 

I am just surprised to see so many users whine and complain they would be locked out of nonexistent sections. Secret media sections is a good idea and would benefit good users. Yes, some people wouldnt access them but not everyone can be trusted off the bat. Thats the reality of this. They can still post on all the same sections they do now, they lose nothing but whine anyways

Agreed! The point is that ALL videos and media are now banned from the site and can't be reinstated because of these losers trying to cause trouble for Downzy, Russ etc. If a new section was added with certain access criteria then the rest of the site would be unchanged.

• Like 1

make all the new sections necessary (hidden or unhidden), I'm sure that most people will accept that. But I also think that respect should be given, by both sides.

It's perfectly understandable that a new hidden section probably is the way forward, but it is also perfectly understandable that some people are confused by what is proposed here. take the poster MANEK for example, who by his own acount, while not having many posts is a member here for 13 years. I thought it was proposed that people would be appreciated on the duration of their membership, even if they didn't reach the required amount of posts? When people are now being asked "who are you", then I guess that wasn't the case.

Contradicting propositions and actions are on display here, and it's only natural that some members will feel confused. Is that so surprising?

I think it's time that clear whine is being served. and please stop talking down to people who haven't done anything wrong. 

It seems like some clarification is needed here:

ZoSoRose started this thread to encourage suggestions for solutions. Then he offered one idea, which was creating a private section. 

It seems like instead of anyone offering other solutions, everyone latched on to that one suggestion as if it was happening. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I can tell all of our users that the staff has discussed the option of a private section and it's just not a viable solution for more than a few reasons. 

We continue to discuss and explore options as a team, but we're more than happy to entertain any suggestions anyone might have. 

It just seems like this clarification was needed because everyone seems to be getting heated with each other over just one suggestion. Since we know that solution isn't going to work, I think it would be best for everyone to stop arguing that one point and please offer any other ideas you might have. 

Thanks. 

• Like 3

Is there any option to impose some sort of 'third party' filter to anything posted here that involves links- all links going through a third party site, so users here are linking to that third party, and then on to the final link, rather than simply posting the final link here? 

In a similar way that Paypal acts as a conduit between buyer and seller, would there be a conduit for links that could be used, that would free the site of any claims to be actually 'sharing' the links? 

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Is there any option to impose some sort of 'third party' filter to anything posted here that involves links- all links going through a third party site, so users here are linking to that third party, and then on to the final link, rather than simply posting the final link here? 

In a similar way that Paypal acts as a conduit between buyer and seller, would there be a conduit for links that could be used, that would free the site of any claims to be actually 'sharing' the links? 

https://tinyurl.com/

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah, Discord it's where it's at. Works for other Gn'R forums. Why not MyGn'R.

Because there’re 3 Discord servers already. No point in making another one.

Finding a forum host that won’t care about DMCAs or just hide YT links from users that don’t have a minimum of X years and/or X posts seem to be the most reasonable ways to confront this, IMO.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

In the interest of full disclosure, I can tell all of our users that the staff has discussed the option of a private section and it's just not a viable solution for more than a few reasons.

What are the reasons?

I see a lot of people failed to read the ideas properly and just started crying about the post count issue, but let's be honest here: the point of private sections, especially at first, would be to exclude most users. Slowly let in the trustworthy posters. I have thousands of posts on here (:facepalm:) but I really don't care whether I'm among the first or the last group of users that could see the private sections. I really think it's the best solution even though I'd probably be excluded at first.

As for the other ideas - discord is an annoying format and there's already GNR groups that people can join if they really want to. Linking facebook or (especially) paypal accounts to this site is a terrible idea as well. You could just start a whole new site on another server, but that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping this community intact. So we're back to the option of hidden sections on this board - people will definitely whine about it at first, but they'll get over it. If this site is kept in a state where nobody is allowed to post videos, it will die sooner than later. There is no 'good' solution to the problem, so why not go with the 'best' solution instead of nothing? The tour doesn't start again until March, you guys would have plenty of time to figure out who gets let in, and work out any issues that might arise.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What are the reasons?

I see a lot of people failed to read the ideas properly and just started crying about the post count issue, but let's be honest here: the point of private sections, especially at first, would be to exclude most users. Slowly let in the trustworthy posters. I have thousands of posts on here (:facepalm:) but I really don't care whether I'm among the first or the last group of users that could see the private sections. I really think it's the best solution even though I'd probably be excluded at first.

As for the other ideas - discord is an annoying format and there's already GNR groups that people can join if they really want to. Linking facebook or (especially) paypal accounts to this site is a terrible idea as well. You could just start a whole new site on another server, but that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping this community intact. So we're back to the option of hidden sections on this board - people will definitely whine about it at first, but they'll get over it. If this site is kept in a state where nobody is allowed to post videos, it will die sooner than later. There is no 'good' solution to the problem, so why not go with the 'best' solution instead of nothing? The tour doesn't start again until March, you guys would have plenty of time to figure out who gets let in, and work out any issues that might arise.

Ultimately the biggest reason is that there's just no way to make it airtight. Try as we may, there's just absolutely no way to weed out every alt for the two people causing all of these problems. 

In the end, it's looking like out best option is to leave the board as is, asking users to not post YouTube links that aren't from official sources. Then we'll have to deal with issues as they arise when the tour kicks back up. 

I wonder if contacting the LN tour manager for Guns would be at all helpful. LN layered in Angie Warner (name?) but I think its someone new now, maybe? In theory LN wants all the promotion for the tour that they can get? I mean the stages are designed for the Insta selfie, etc, so someone out there wants to use new media for promotion it seems.

(maybe thats been done?)

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ultimately the biggest reason is that there's just no way to make it airtight. Try as we may, there's just absolutely no way to weed out every alt for the two people causing all of these problems. 

In the end, it's looking like out best option is to leave the board as is, asking users to not post YouTube links that aren't from official sources. Then we'll have to deal with issues as they arise when the tour kicks back up. 

I realize it would be hard to keep out all the alt accounts, but it seems like it would be worth trying. Nobody said it would be easy for the mods, but it would be hugely beneficial to the site overall and would be appreciated by most users.

This is a good community for a number of reasons and it'd be unfortunate to see it dwindle and die because people can't post links or share videos that are relevant to the reason we're all here (GNR). The show threads from the last leg of the tour are a clear indicator of the frustration and shrinking interest, and banning all 'unofficial' videos will only continue to push people to other sites.

It's bullshit that we even have to talk about taking the fan base underground.  How dare we want to see live videos from the band or get a peak at something that even remotely resembles new or unheard music.  The band is completely dysfunctional from a fan standpoint, and were it not for the strength of AFD, no would give a shit anymore because of how the band, or at least how Axl acts. But with the success of the tour, this is only going to get worse.  

I'd be screwed for sure.   I visit damn near every day... though I rarely post.   I do enjoy this place, I'm just a fairly quiet dude.   Unless I REALLY have something to add. 

I understand yall have to do what yall have to do.   But since I have such a low post count, I wouldn't be relevant. 

Perhaps though, I could randomly post 3,000 or so useless comments.....hmmmm

• Like 1

• downzy locked this topic