Video Games You Never Finished

AtariLegend

16 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Finished Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Didn't finish Arkham Origins or Arkham Knight. I think I'm amongst the minority who think that the series peaked with the first game. Absolutely LOVED Asylum but the open world structure of all the subsequent games really detracted from the experience for me. I loved the constrained dungeon structure Metroidvania nature of Asylum and think the series lost its way after that. City was still good but Origins was very by the numbers and Knight was just shit with all the Batmobile nonsense.

I agree. The original was awesome. City was cool but it was two big of a commitment for me to finish. Imo those Batman games do not benefit from the open world because there are no NPC or live- in things. They're designed to be empty and that isn't my thing really

22 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Finished Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Didn't finish Arkham Origins or Arkham Knight. I think I'm amongst the minority who think that the series peaked with the first game. Absolutely LOVED Asylum but the open world structure of all the subsequent games really detracted from the experience for me. I loved the constrained dungeon structure Metroidvania nature of Asylum and think the series lost its way after that. City was still good but Origins was very by the numbers and Knight was just shit with all the Batmobile nonsense.

Agreed.  The first was great because the focus was beating up bad guys and moving the story forward thereafter. 

The open world really slowed things down by having to go find stuff.  

I never played the two after City.  

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

Agreed.  The first was great because the focus was beating up bad guys and moving the story forward thereafter. 

The open world really slowed things down by having to go find stuff.  

I never played the two after City.  

You didn't miss much. Origins was basically a re-tread of City but farmed out to a third party developer a bit like when 343 took over Halo and it turned to shit. Knight is stunning looking being the only game to be written for the XBox One/PS4 generation but you spend half the game shooting robot tanks in the Batmobile which is great for the first 5 minutes and then gets VERY boring quickly afterwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, most of the games I've played I never finished, but here are two examples:

Super mario 3

- a game that I consider to be one of the best games ever, but only played it at friends as a kid. I bought it for myself a couple of years ago. I gave up after losing about 100 lives on one of the last stages (with an angry sun chasing you). I'm confident that I'll revisit this game and beat it one day, though. 

Final Fantasy 8

- Got it for christmas the year it was released in europe (1999?). Absolutely loved FF 7 (still do, as well as FF 6 and 9) so I thought I was in for a treat. I was kind of disppointed thinking it was ok but it lacked in design, gameplay and had a pretty confusing and not motivating story. However, I powered through, since I wanted to see the ending. 50+ hours in I saved the game (knowing that I was just minutes away from the final battle). The next day, my brother had (by mistake) overwritten my save file on the memory card. I haven't touched it since and probably never will. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

Zelda 3 is a bitch without a walkthrough. I would've never had the patience to finish it without one.

Did you play it on release or more recently? I spent fucking weeks until I finished it in the days before the internet.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Did you play it on release or more recently? I spent fucking weeks until I finished it in the days before the internet.

I finished it around the time the snes classic mini came about so I had plenty of help from internet. There so many things that makes no sense towards the end with the traveling between the light and dark world. Must've been so frustrating w/o some guidance.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Deathloop. Great game, but certain elements pissed me off, and as I was approaching the end, there is a mission where stuff blows up if you’re not careful, and since you can’t save in this game, I finally gave up. Not a bad game at all, though. 

Days Gone. Again, nice game, but a bit cumbersome and I guess I got bored later. 15 years ago I woulda finished it with glee. 

Doom: Eternal. Anything after Doom 3 is just too easy pleasy. The closed spaces were better, and jump-scary. This feels like playing Unreal Tournament or the likes online. Make Doom 6 Doom 3 again! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, Ace Spade said:

I finally beat Double Dragon (NES) 34 years later on Switch Online.

I cheated by using the rewind feature! :D

Pussy. I've come within a minute of world record on that game. No idea how to shave a minute off my time though.  I've played that game A LOT.