are you ever getting bored with GNR?

action

I was taking a long drive yesterday and listening to some music. Mostly the stones, but then I decided to play some GNR concert from the 90s. The same old tired songs; it's so easy, brownstone, nightrain...

after the pleasant chill of some stones 70s records, GNR seemed to be  just Axl screaming and frankly, I didn't have a good time. By the time 'welcome to the jungle' was played, I couldn't go back to the stones quick enough.

I think the lack of albums really hurts this band in the long run. Sometimes I wonder why it is again, that I consider GNR to be my favorite band. All things considered, that label now goes to the stones I guess. I'm so fucking bored with guns music right now.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Got bored with them years ago as they only have 4 albums!! Imagine if the Stones stopped releasing music after Out of Our Heads?

without izzy and steven, GNR became a disjointed mess. there just isn't enough groove to provide a pleasant experience. Slash is great and all, and he's my favorite guitarist ever, but he's seriously overrated when it comes to writing good music. It's just the same cliché blues progressions, altered with the same riffs an octave higher. His latest solo work in particular, suffers from this. It's all so predictable and annoying.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, action said:

without izzy and steven, GNR became a disjointed mess. there just isn't enough groove to provide a pleasant experience. Slash is great and all, and he's my favorite guitarist ever, but he's seriously overrated when it comes to writing good music. It's just the same cliché blues progressions, altered with the same riffs an octave higher. His latest solo work in particular, suffers from this. It's all so predictable and annoying.

Slash is great.  I don't have any problem with his music being bluesy over and over again. Him releaseing records like he already has in GNR or Snakepit.

It is people around him I have problem with.

The people like Frank and Fartus, Myles...

He needs to have a good singer like Axl or Dover/Jackson, people with personality,  Sorum/Izzy/Gilby.

U don't care if someone stands out tecnically, but all around picture is what I care mostly.  I don't care about Myles vocal abilites when his nasal singing is irritating.

We just got 10? 12? 14? discs of unheard tracks, so no. I am less bored than I have been in many years. And we have unearthed some great interviews that were new to me and shed lights on the history of the band. And there is a possibility of a new record (well, there always is). So no, not really. I don't really listen to old albums or live shows, though :lol:

I do sometimes for sure.  Part of it probably comes from the fact that GNR songs are so implanted in my mind from years of listening that I don't really feel the need to listen to the albums as much anyways because they are all in my head lol

I always get back in a GNR mood though when something happens like the recent leaks or the tour dates

I can understand why people would say yes. They certainly have given us plenty of reason to be. But for me...I don’t know. This is my favorite band ever and there are a lot of sentimental reasons for that. So, yes I’ve heard Patience a million times, but there’s a reason I go back to that song. Their music brings me a sense of comfort. Because of this, it’s hard to get “bored” with GNR. 

Plus, as others have mentioned, we just had a whole locker leak. Safe to say I’ve been entertaining myself with those. :P

Honestly yes. And it'll probably only get worse unless they release something new. Personally speaking, seeing them reunited a few years back was great and I wont ever forget it, but its all been downhill from there. There's so much other music to listen to that I dont really throw on any GNR all that often. And the leaks piqued my curiosity for all of 5 minutes, since I have never been a big CD fan. 

I'm bored with the current lineup.  It was great to get Axl, Slash, Duff together and take it on the road.  Especially for people who never saw them back in the day.  But the current lineup with no music written as a "band" surely gets tiresome.  Either make a new album or call it a day. 

Slash is great with Myles, and Duff has his thing.  They can keep doing that.

Maybe time to walk away on top before it's too late.

Been in the GNR dumps numerous times over the years myself.  This fucking band! :lol:  Kind of miss saying god damn it Axl.  Never really bored with them.  Even when there's nothing going on, there's something going on and you can always find hope for something to happen.  I'm just hanging out, waiting for the next thing.  It's out there, ahead of us.  I'll settle for a new pinball machine, for the moment.  Where the is that?

And just all the drama with the youtube videos is anything but boring. Tons of new (old) music. Will this lineup last or is this 1994-1996 all over again? The craziness of the fuckheads taking down videos. All the drama with self-appointed insiders and hoarders. The anticipation of what will happen next knowing that it can be basically anything. It can't really get any less boring than this. I have never had any lower feelings for the band or its management, but boring is the last thing I will it. I think some fans might confuse their frustration with boredom and some just go through that phase when they branch out into new music besides GN'R and lose their interest.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

And just all the drama with the youtube videos is anything but boring. Tons of new (old) music. Will this lineup last or is this 1994-1996 all over again? The craziness of the fuckheads taking down videos. All the drama with self-appointed insiders and hoarders. The anticipation of what will happen next knowing that it can be basically anything. It can't really get any less boring than this. I have never had any lower feelings for the band or its management, but boring is the last thing I will it. I think some fans might confuse their frustration with boredom and some just go through that phase when they branch out into new music besides GN'R and lose their interest.

I'm too old for this shit

• Like 2

On 02/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, shotsfired cro said:

Slash is great.  I don't have any problem with his music being bluesy over and over again. Him releaseing records like he already has in GNR or Snakepit.

It is people around him I have problem with.

The people like Frank and Fartus, Myles...

He needs to have a good singer like Axl or Dover/Jackson, people with personality,  Sorum/Izzy/Gilby.

U don't care if someone stands out tecnically, but all around picture is what I care mostly.  I don't care about Myles vocal abilites when his nasal singing is irritating.

I really like Myles, and his voice, but I think he lacks a star quality. Probably because he made it big in his 30s & doesn't have his head up his own arse. 

The Conspirators band is really awesome. Todd Kerns is cool as fuck and a really good singer. What struck me on the last tour is how fantastic Fitzy is on drums. He makes the band tick and is so much better than Frank. 

• Like 1

I can’t really get bored with them, because if I don’t feel like it, I don’t play their records in the first place... The last time it was ChD in September, and that was because of the Village leaks, I just wanted to make some comparisons. Other than that, it’s been ages. Maybe Lies once this year. I hear them on the radio though.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Im very bored. It was bound to happen without new music. 2016 was an insane high and its been a come down since

The leaks have been amazing but that has nothing to do with GNR circa 2019

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, WildStar said:

The Conspirators band is really awesome. Todd Kerns is cool as fuck and a really good singer. What struck me on the last tour is how fantastic Fitzy is on drums. He makes the band tick and is so much better than Frank. 

100% agree

The band: Yes.

The music: Not so much.

I have a policy of not adding my favorite bands and songs to my playlists. Just because I don't want to grow tired of them.

So whenever I feel like listening to these bands or songs I have to look them up first. I don't listen to them when I'm not in the mood, some songs lose their magic that way imho.

I got bored of GNR in 94, started listening to them again in 2006 and it’s been back and forth since.

They have a limited discography and after years of concert bootlegs im burned out on the tunes mostly.

It’s been 31 years since I first heard the band after all I guess.... 

They’re not a stones or a doors or a band like that where there’s a lot of great material and live material that’s quite different each time in the case of the doors. Sabbath are the same, never bored of hearing them. 

a lot of the guns material sounds dated, mostly the UYI stuff, the effects, the voices, some of the production, the lyrics are dated also. 

But it was great to see them back together and great to hear coma, locomotive, DTJ and a few others. My interest in the reunion waned before it started due to lack of Izzy involvement. I still enjoyed the couple of shows I was at, but it coulda been great.... 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1