Jump to content

Late Cycle Game Console Buying


Recommended Posts

Curious whether how many people out there still buy consoles at the end of their life cycles.  

I've always enjoyed buying the "other" console late in its life cycle for cheap and enjoying the games that came out years before but at a fraction of the cost.  

Back in the early 2000s I was all in on the Gamecube, but eventually bought a PS2 a year before the next consoles came out.

I then jumped to the Xbox 360, and eventually bought a PS3 late in its life cycle.  

This time I went with the Xbox One X and was tempted to get a PS4, but I've read the next generation of consoles will be backward compatible.  So I'm less inclined to buy another machine if I can save my money and buy a next get console that will play games from this generation.

Anyone else of the same mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only console I bought at the end of it's life cycle was the Dreamcast. I just couldn't resist it's charm. I like to buy a console 2 years after it comes out, when it had time to establish it's catalog of games.

I've made an exception with the Switch and bought one early. I would just save my money and wait for the PS5 like you said for the same reason. I really like The Xbox One X. (I don't own one though, a friend bought one)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rovim said:

The only console I bought at the end of it's life cycle was the Dreamcast. I just couldn't resist it's charm. I like to buy a console 2 years after it comes out, when it had time to establish it's catalog of games.

I've made an exception with the Switch and bought one early. I would just save my money and wait for the PS5 like you said for the same reason. I really like The Xbox One X. (I don't own one though, a friend bought one)

The Xbox One X is a great console if you have the television to really show off its visuals.  RDR2 and Forza Horizon 4 on my 4K OLED tv looks phenomenal.  

I'm tempted to go with a Playstation 5 next year and wait to buy the next gen Xbox later in its life cycle.  I figure my Xbox One X should hold its own for awhile while buying a PS5 allows me to play all the great PS4 games I missed this generation as well as the new games.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a PS3 at the end of its life cycle, It was a refurbished unit so It was quite affordable at the time. Thats been a good one since Ive been able to get games for it cheap at thrift stores and such.

As a general rule I normally get consoles a year or 2 after launch since by then they're slightly cheaper and they have worked out any of the bugs that new consoles always seem to have. Plus the game library is larger by then and the consoles have some slight upgrades.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the updated slim model 360 in 2011 after my original one got the RROD twice in 07/08 - It was worth it because i never got to play GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption.

It still works great, never had an issue with it. Would have been nice if it didn't take them 5 years after release to figure out how to make it a non-POS console :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

i just recently bought a new xbox one x, new in box. Every game I buy, I buy second hand. In no time I could collect a great selection of the best games of this generation, for no money. RDR2, RE2, RE7, halo MCC, MGSV phantom pain and ground zeroes, F12017, rare replay...

For these games I paid 14 euro each, sometimes less (MGSV was 9 euro each)

first time I bought a console this late, but from here on out this will be my policy. To me, the X1X just released so I've got 6 or 7 years to go with it, before buying the scarlett at the end it it's lifetime

Edited by action
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The only games console I own is a Playstation 2. I don't believe I bought it at the end of its cycle, but let's just say I have gotten my money's worth! Granted I don't really play games much these days. 

how do you manage to be so on top of the latest technology like you do? 

does your car even run on fuel, or do you need to walk it like the flintstones :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

I got the updated slim model 360 in 2011 after my original one got the RROD twice in 07/08 - It was worth it because i never got to play GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption.

It still works great, never had an issue with it. Would have been nice if it didn't take them 5 years after release to figure out how to make it a non-POS console :lol:

Similar experiences as myself

It amazes me that Microsoft has done as well with its console gaming division despite its best efforts to trip over itself.  

My original 360 last a year or two before it succumbed to the RROD around 2008 or 2009.  I ended up buying a new Xbox Slim for the bigger hard drive and built-in wifi.  It ended up being a great console.

Then the complete debacle of the Xbox One roll-out.  And again, Microsoft righted the ship with the Xbox One S and X; consoles that should have been ready to go at launch.  

Hopefully they've learned their lessons with the next gen, but I wouldn't put money on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 7:49 PM, ZoSoRose said:

All I know is I will probably not buy Xbox again

Agreed. Xbox One is one of the most underwhelming consoles I’ve ever owned. 
 

Im in no rush to play a lot of the newest games, barring Nintendo releases which I try to keep up with. I have games to finish as is. Therefore I never feel inconvenienced if I purchase a console when it’s cheapest and late into its life cycle. Saves me a ton of money and again, don’t feel inconvenienced.

That being said, I would still consider paying full price for the PS5 if it is backwards compatible with PS4 and has a good launch window. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, downzy said:

Curious whether how many people out there still buy consoles at the end of their life cycles.  

I've always enjoyed buying the "other" console late in its life cycle for cheap and enjoying the games that came out years before but at a fraction of the cost.  

Back in the early 2000s I was all in on the Gamecube, but eventually bought a PS2 a year before the next consoles came out.

I then jumped to the Xbox 360, and eventually bought a PS3 late in its life cycle.  

This time I went with the Xbox One X and was tempted to get a PS4, but I've read the next generation of consoles will be backward compatible.  So I'm less inclined to buy another machine if I can save my money and buy a next get console that will play games from this generation.

Anyone else of the same mind?

I'm like you on this.  Once the new ones are announced, I can't bring myself to buy something I know will be outdated in a year.  If I'm going to buy a console, I buy it when it's brand new.  Occasionally, I'm able to flip the console and it will pay for itself.  The PS3, GBX and the XBone were the 3 I reserved, then sold almost immediately for a markup.  The Gameboy I actually sold in the mall after buying it, I did half a lap around the mall like a scalper "Need a Gameboy? Who needs a Gameboy?"  2000, 2001?  idk, it was "the gift" sold it for $500.

 

It's a solid excuse to reserve a console that you don't "need."  There is a good chance you can sell it immediately for a handsome profit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I think this will be the first time I've not bought a console at launch. I mentioned in another thread that I just got a PS4 Slim to play online with friends and that should keep me busy enough for a long while. Lots of PS4 titles I can get that I missed out on. I won't bother spending the money on a PS5 just to keep playing the PS4 stuff, backwards compatibility or not. I'll wait until there's a good chunk of games I want, which will likely mean waiting for the next Tomb Raider or Rockstar title.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The current generation is the first generation that I have not purchased more than one console.  I bought an Xbox One X but passed on PS4 and on the Switch.  Guess I'm growing up!

Here's a run down of systems I've owned by generation:

C64 + Nintendo Entertainment System

SNES + Sega Genesis

N64 + PS1

Gamecube + PS2

Xbox 360 + PS3 + Wii

Xbox One

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a PS4 since 2015, so two years late on that. Have a back catalogue that will take years for me to get through, next console will be the one that leads the generation. I went with the PS4 because it clearly edged the Xbox One, just like the 360 did with the PS3. Don't have enough time for two consoles at once, although my son has a Switch and I am dying to play Legend of Zelda.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, downzy said:

The current generation is the first generation that I have not purchased more than one console.  I bought an Xbox One X but passed on PS4 and on the Switch.  Guess I'm growing up!

Here's a run down of systems I've owned by generation:

C64 + Nintendo Entertainment System

SNES + Sega Genesis

N64 + PS1

Gamecube + PS2

Xbox 360 + PS3 + Wii

Xbox One

You're not a million miles away from my gaming history.

Mine would be:

Atari VCS 2600

C64 + Amstrad CPC + ZX Spectrum + Sega Master System

Commodore Amiga + SNES

Atari Jaguar + N64

Dreamcast + PS2 + OG XBox + Gamecube

XBox 360 + PS3 + Wii 

XBox One + Switch

 

Edited by Dazey
Link to post
Share on other sites

I technically grew up in the N64/PS1 generation, but we had a lot of consoles around the house when I was a kid. Most of them were hand me downs from older family.

We had a Commodore 64, both an NES and an SNES, and a Genesis at one point. If only we had had the foresight to keep all of that!

After having both the N64 and PS1 (the PS1 came later on), I had the PS2, then the 360/Wii, then the Xbox One.

I had also brief periods of owning a Dreamcast and the original Xbox along the way.

Currently I've got the PS4 (replacing my non-functioning Xbox One) and my daughter has the Switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 8:48 AM, Wagszilla said:

Got Witcher 3 for $15 which an insane hours-to-dollars value

I really want to give this game a try since it's so well reviewed and recommended.  But I'm not finding a lot of deals.  Best I could find was a download coupon for $30.  I've seen it on sale for less so hoping it comes down in price during an upcoming sale.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, downzy said:

I really want to give this game a try since it's so well reviewed and recommended.  But I'm not finding a lot of deals.  Best I could find was a download coupon for $30.  I've seen it on sale for less so hoping it comes down in price during an upcoming sale.  

Witcher 3 is free with Game Pass over here. Of course you'd have to complete it in the space of a couple of months to get the benefit of that deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Witcher 3 is free with Game Pass over here. Of course you'd have to complete it in the space of a couple of months to get the benefit of that deal.

I had game pass for three months and only played Forza Horizon 4.  I'm starting to think I should have used that time more wisely.  There were so many games I wanted to try but FH4 got its hooks into me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downzy said:

I really want to give this game a try since it's so well reviewed and recommended.  But I'm not finding a lot of deals.  Best I could find was a download coupon for $30.  I've seen it on sale for less so hoping it comes down in price during an upcoming sale.  

Check out: xbdeals.net or psdeals.net 

Pick your poison, should be able to see trends on sales. It's routinely $15 on PS4. No idea on XB1. 

Witcher 3 itself is great. Blood and Wine DLC one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Check out: xbdeals.net or psdeals.net 

Pick your poison, should be able to see trends on sales. It's routinely $15 on PS4. No idea on XB1. 

Witcher 3 itself is great. Blood and Wine DLC one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. 

 

Thanks.  I'm interested in getting the Game of the Year addition that includes all of the DLC.  

Microsoft usually runs a massive sale in June so I might wait until then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested:

I've seen Xbox One X deals for $225 but regularly $250-$300 from January to April.

PS4 Pro deals have been typically $300 but have been hard to find since February. 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, downzy said:

Thanks.  I'm interested in getting the Game of the Year addition that includes all of the DLC.  

Microsoft usually runs a massive sale in June so I might wait until then.

Yep, that version was $15 for the the first two weeks of April. 

It's probably a safe bet it'll go on sale around June 11th when Cyberpunk is shown off and normal E3 (RIP) sales are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It's a really interesting subject.

I have always felt that a console is at it's best at the end of it's life. I go back to the Spectrum/Commodore games and a lot of the best games came out later on. If you look at some of the early games, say Horace Goes Skiing, and compare that to later games, I think that it takes a while for programmers to push a machine to it's limits. And, I actually feel there could be more to come from the current PS4 and X Box if they gave it more time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...