Best Live Recordings per era?

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I like Frank as well, at least Frank before the NITL tour. Something about his kit sound has just been off to me. I like 2006, and 2009/10. Really wish Robin would have been there for the Asia and 2010 your. I feel like Ron shines more in his later years with the band; maybe that due to Robin's absence? 

Ron stepped up when Robin left ,  he went a bit more rock and pretty much nailed everything

• Like 1

2 hours ago, axljungle said:

I can't understand why they didn't release Appetitte for Democracy with a 2010 shows, I saw them in Madrid 2010 and was the best Axl's voice in this era.

Well, I can't understand too why the film edited is so bad, Tokyo UYI is a lot better than this.

Because AfDemocracy's release only came about as part of a financial settlement reached with GNR's old management. It wasn't on the agenda back in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 11:25 AM, Towelie said:

Because AfDemocracy's release only came about as part of a financial settlement reached with GNR's old management. It wasn't on the agenda back in 2010.

What exactly was the settlement in regards to - something to do with Doug Goldstein?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-02-16 at 3:38 AM, DieselDaisy said:

It was a protracted mess, that DVD, as everybody should recall, in which the producer of it publicly remarked about Guns N' Roses' idiotic management?

The guy from rockfuel came on here and, when asked why the dvd was delayed, said that was a question for GNR's "genius manager". :lol:

On 2020-02-17 at 5:15 AM, DTJ80 said:

Wasn’t that the 2016 debacle?

That was the Troubadour show, I think. Though, San Diego and Toronto 2016 were also filmed, and we never heard anything about those...

10 minutes ago, diegodasilva23 said:

Is there a remastered version of the audio from the Tokyo 1992’s DVDs?

Nothing official, the closest you could get is the digital lossless audio from the Laserdisc versions of the show; which is better than the lossy 192kbps AAC audio from the DVD's. Doesn't make a huuuuuge difference though. I'm not sure what the sound engineer did to the audio, but he reallly really compressed the audio to death.

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The guy from rockfuel came on here and, when asked why the dvd was delayed, said that was a question for GNR's "genius manager". :lol:

That was the Troubadour show, I think. Though, San Diego and Toronto 2016 were also filmed, and we never heard anything about those...

Oh - I thought it was the one where someone botched the recording of the stadium gig (apparently done in-house and there was something like only 3 cameras)!? Might have been San Diego?

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

Oh - I thought it was the one where someone botched the recording of the stadium gig (apparently done in-house and there was something like only 3 cameras)!? Might have been San Diego?

Honestly there's been several times where this band and its management have botched a release of a live show. You're right, San Diego only had a few cameras and I think at least 1 was on a drone, flying above the stadium capturing essentially useless footage. I can't remember the details about the Toronto show but I know they posted flyers around the venue saying that the show was being recorded.

Then there's all the times they either didn't pay the company that recorded a show (like Troubadour 2016) or they just dragged the process out because they're either stupid, spiteful or both. (Vegas 2012 dvd took like 2 years to get released, London 2012 went from being a big theatrical release to being shown in like 2 theatres and a couple TV channels, the documentaries from 2006-2010 that got scrapped, etc.)

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly there's been several times where this band and its management have botched a release of a live show. You're right, San Diego only had a few cameras and I think at least 1 was on a drone, flying above the stadium capturing essentially useless footage. I can't remember the details about the Toronto show but I know they posted flyers around the venue saying that the show was being recorded.

Then there's all the times they either didn't pay the company that recorded a show (like Troubadour 2016) or they just dragged the process out because they're either stupid, spiteful or both. (Vegas 2012 dvd took like 2 years to get released, London 2012 went from being a big theatrical release to being shown in like 2 theatres and a couple TV channels, the documentaries from 2006-2010 that got scrapped, etc.)

It totally blows my mind how much wasted material is sitting there all because of what appears to be amateur management decisions. 🤬

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It totally blows my mind how much wasted material is sitting there all because of what appears to be amateur management decisions. 🤬

What's weird is that Team Brazil actually started off really well. I don't remember if they took over before the 2011 tour, or part-way through the 2011 tour, but either way they got us 2 pro-shot live-streams and at least 1 Axl interview in December, plus another couple pro-shots in early 2012. But it was all downhill from there... :no:

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What's weird is that Team Brazil actually started off really well. I don't remember if they took over before the 2011 tour, or part-way through the 2011 tour, but either way they got us 2 pro-shot live-streams and at least 1 Axl interview in December, plus another couple pro-shots in early 2012. But it was all downhill from there... :no:

Hmm - that’s odd, as you say that’s a fair bit of activity in a short space of time......and then here we are with very little since then. 🙄

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Maybe axl just couldnt be fucked being apart of those initiatives......who knows what his headspace was in terms of how he felt about GNR.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Best show period was Bridge School in 2012- I cant provide video proof because of the people who got unofficial links banned on the forum, so you’ll just have to take my word on it.

axl's legacy more than any other moment in his career is tarnished entirely based on that performance and band included 

just look at how neil young takes him to school on don't let it bring you down

the band is just terrible as well 

On 2/16/2020 at 5:38 AM, DieselDaisy said:

It was a protracted mess, that DVD, as everybody should recall, in which the producer of it publicly remarked about Guns N' Roses' idiotic management?

yeah fernando sold the rights without axl knowing and got fired temporarily 

1. Ritz 1991 (someone fucking do me a favor and release this) 

2. Hartford 1993 

3. Toronto 2002 

4. London 2010 

5. Mexico City 2016

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

49 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

If they do a UYI box-set, I hope they include at least one of the warm-up shows. We know they were recorded in high quality. I'd hope for Pantages Theatre because they played Bad Apples and Don't Cry w/ Shannon, but any of the warm-up shows would be a good choice for an official release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If they do a UYI box-set, I hope they include at least one of the warm-up shows. We know they were recorded in high quality. I'd hope for Pantages Theatre because they played Bad Apples and Don't Cry w/ Shannon, but any of the warm-up shows would be a good choice for an official release.

i bought the bootleg of the ritz 91 warm up show way back and the clips i see on youtube are astounding to me its their best ever live show, they just kicked the shit out of it, setlist probably the best setlist ever too and izzy was so fucking underrated for what he brought to the table then as he gave slash that push where he never played like that again, literally slash overtakes jimmy page and all the other legends in those 91 warm up shows and sorum was fucking unreal for the UYI deeps cuts live not to mention i do think it's axl's best live vocals ever 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

yeah fernando sold the rights without axl knowing and got fired temporarily 

2. Hartford 1993 

3. Toronto 2002 

4. London 2010 

5. Mexico City 2016

Who did he sell the rights to?

5 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i bought the bootleg of the ritz 91 warm up show way back and the clips i see on youtube are astounding to me its their best ever live show, they just kicked the shit out of it, setlist probably the best setlist ever too and izzy was so fucking underrated for what he brought to the table then as he gave slash that push where he never played like that again, literally slash overtakes jimmy page and all the other legends in those 91 warm up shows and sorum was fucking unreal for the UYI deeps cuts live not to mention i do think it's axl's best live vocals ever 

Is there any video footage of Ritz 91 at all?

But for me the AFDemocracy DVD is a fail for many things, the video cuts are terrible, repeat some cuts, why? serious? I see UYI tokyo show and now I'm enjoying a lot the video shots, are more creative than AFDemocracy with less things.

1. Ritz 88 (but Music Machine in good quality could be great).

2. Paris 92

4. London 2010 (but for me all 2010 shows are great)

DTJ80 I saw one warm up show from Ritz 91 recording from the public, the audio is not good and the video is from a side with people jumping, etc

Edited by axljungle

5 hours ago, axljungle said:

But for me the AFDemocracy DVD is a fail for many things, the video cuts are terrible, repeat some cuts, why? serious? I see UYI tokyo show and now I'm enjoying a lot the video shots, are more creative than AFDemocracy with less things.

1. Ritz 88 (but Music Machine in good quality could be great).

2. Paris 92

4. London 2010 (but for me all 2010 shows are great)

DTJ80 I saw one warm up show from Ritz 91 recording from the public, the audio is not good and the video is from a side with people jumping, etc

Cheers mate - good to know. 👍

On 2020-02-16 at 5:29 AM, Brownstone drum said:

Ron stepped up when Robin left ,  he went a bit more rock and pretty much nailed everything

If I recall correctly, Ron said he was thrown into the 2006 shows fairly last minute so that's why he improvised a lot in 2006/2007. In addition to Robin leaving, he had plenty of time in between to learn the songs more faithfully by the time 2009 came around. Ron truly listened to the fans.

• Like 1