My Tommy Stinson living room concert/meet and greet experience

On 12/11/2019 at 3:14 PM, soon said:

I would think that yes, he was speaking about Going Down, which Tommy wrote and sang lead on. The recently leaked version has got to be one of my favourite songs these days.

Rocks stars playing in living rooms these days. Bonkers. Sounds like the experience could have been better, but thats cool that you got to meet him like that!! :headbang: 

Not sure I’d call Tommy a “rock star”.   Lol

8 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

In that scenario, I feel it was more likely that the record company wasn’t going to support a new GNR release under their current contract, the marketplace and how popular the band was at the time. This happens with other artists. They’ll will keep an artist in limbo if it’s not financially feasible to release something. 

The GNR contract most likely stipulates a pre-negotiated advance for every type of release (album, ep, live album, compilations, etc...) No one knows what that number is, but it could have been renegotiated countless times over the years. A new album advance could have simply just been too big of a risk to take on for new GNR in say 2010. Streaming wasn’t exactly making UMG $ yet, physical albums were hitting a severe decline. It was a weird time period... 

The reunion thing is certainly a factor, but I would believe if it were financially viable, the label would have been for it. It would have sold units. The question was whether they had to pay the band an amount that they could realistically recoup. UMG wasn’t going to take a hit on it. 

Then you have Axl who probably wants to release it, however wants to have the backing of the label and certain stipulations. The label probably wasn’t exactly going to push a release and spend big marketing $ on his album. So it’s a constant non-starter and here we are a decade later. 

This time the market is a bit different, and you have a reunion situation. In the end, the lawyers will win 

For your first sentance in the first paragraph this is the answer management and the RC would say to him, but the unfiltered reason would be we dont think this band with the current lineup would generate the sales of any of the albums between 87 to 93. Period. The only reason they probably held off raising a  reuninion is with the lawsuits coming up from exmanagers and exmembers from the CD lineup against him the RC thought with the amount of pressure he might give in and have made the call to slash sooner.....or at least hoping.

9 hours ago, adamsapple said:

The guys from the original CD lineup will get GNR questions for the rest of their lives, might as well form their own band and do their own thing together instead of the underground artist route. They are more than capable of putting a decent album together, could get some nice major press coverage in no time and a couple of festival slots. By this they could get a twist on the CD era for them and pursue their solo carreers having that new band as a more upbeat reference point.

That band wouldn't draw flies. I say that as a fan of those guys. Outside of these boards the appeal of seeing Stinson,Brain,Finck ,Bucket with (insert singer here) wouldn't be much. 

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

For your first sentance in the first paragraph this is the answer management and the RC would say to him, but the unfiltered reason would be we dont think this band with the current lineup would generate the sales of any of the albums between 87 to 93. Period. The only reason they probably held off raising a  reuninion is with the lawsuits coming up from exmanagers and exmembers from the CD lineup against him the RC thought with the amount of pressure he might give in and have made the call to slash sooner.....or at least hoping.

Don’t think it’s fair to expect any artist to generate sales comparable to 87-93 in 2010. The best selling album that year moved around 3.5 million units. GNR in 2010 wasn’t going to have the best selling record in the US to even reach that number. Physical albums sales had hit a serious decline and streaming hadn’t been utilized fully.

I see Tommy’s statements as the label just wasn’t going to support a new release. Not in that industry climate, not that band, and certainly not with what they probably had to pay GNR to release it. Then you have the artist wanting a certain amount of support and a plan for a release. The climate was never going to be right for that. Not without serious renegotiating and GNR cutting UMG into their touring/merch for a 360 deal....(No chance that happens, and you can’t blame GNR for that)

The label was also desperate enough that if they thought it could move units, they’d be all for it. The reunion card was there but if push came to shove, execs at UMG need to prove their jobs. They just weren’t in a position to take a hit  financially for it. The numbers have to work out. No one was going to take a considerable risk to meet them. 

By 2014, then you get into waiting out a reunion situation. The band was playing to dwindling numbers at shows. That’s if GNR was even still seriously planning on releasing anything by that point.  

In the end, those records should have been released between 1999-2004. A multitude of issues got in the way. Including the label mucking things up and the band repeatedly stepping on its own feet. Wasted opportunity. Wasted years in what should have been Axl’s creative peak. 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flake said:

More like „guy who a few people care about“

Case and point. There are plenty of rock legends that haven't had half the success he's had. Yep, he's off playing small clubs now but the replacements aren't a throwaway band, they have plenty of fans and he was a big part of that... now that doesn't translate to solo show tocket sales, but if you look at Duff he doesn't pack arenas on his own either. Is he not a rock legend?

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Case and point. There are plenty of rock legends that haven't had half the success he's had. Yep, he's off playing small clubs now but the replacements aren't a throwaway band, they have plenty of fans and he was a big part of that... now that doesn't translate to solo show tocket sales, but if you look at Duff he doesn't pack arenas on his own either. Is he not a rock legend?

I think I would stop short of calling Duff a rock legend in his own right, he's in a legendary band.  He's in the vein of a Bill Wyman or John Deacon who were members of an iconic band but fall short of legendary status,  imo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I think I would stop short of calling Duff a rock legend in his own right, he's in a legendary band.  He's in the vein of a Bill Wyman or John Deacon who were members of an iconic band but fall short of legendary status,  imo.

Ah leave John D out of this, that man is rock royalty. The most ordinary rockstar of all time😄

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, lame ass security said:

I’d say he is a Bass Legend. Duff is not Flea or John Paul Jones, but he has to be among the best ever. Easily one of the more recognized.

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’d say he is a Bass Legend. Duff is not Flea or John Paul Jones, but he has to be among the best ever. Easily one of the more recognized.

Yeah he definitely has one of the most recognizable bass parts. Sweet child without his part isn't half as good. I'd also put YCBM in that bracket bit if we're talking about the majority then SCOM is enough.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah he definitely has one of the most recognizable bass parts. Sweet child without his part isn't half as good. I'd also put YCBM in that bracket bit if we're talking about the majority then SCOM is enough.

And lets not forget It’s so easy - I get a boner that could cut through granite every time I hear the first few seconds of that song!

• Haha 1