Next Gen Thread (Xbox Series X & PS5)

downzy

30 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Thanks for the answers. Made more sense than the video I tried to watch. :lol:

No problem. I think it comes down to the tv the new console will be played on. If it’s on a 65” 4K set then splurge and get the X. If it’s on anything smaller than 55” then get the S. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downzy said:

The PS5 launch date and price is expected to be announced next week.

My bet is the disc drive model lists for $499 USD.  The all digital will come in at $400 - $450.  

Launch date: November 13th.  

I think that's a good bet. I think Sony were just waiting for Microsoft to announce the Series X price first to avoid being undercut.

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I think that's a good bet. I think Sony were just waiting for Microsoft to announce the Series X price first to avoid being undercut.

It's kind of amazing that both went so long without announcing a release date or price(s).  I think Microsoft had hoped Sony would have gone first and then they could have undercut the PS5 on price.  

I would be interested in a PS5 digital if it's $400 USD and Sony had backwards compatible available for PS4's AAA games.  Sony would do themselves a world of favour by having PS4's top games available for download at a heavily discounted price for those people buying a PS5 digital.  Microsoft is offering a ton of value with the Xbox Series S and GamePass for those not interested in 4k resolution (though apparently the box will upscale 1080p games to 4k). 

20 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm waiting a year at least until I can see a few decent exclusives before I decide. In the meantime I'm going to Trade in my RTX 2070 Super and get a 3080 which should be more than enough to keep me going for now.

I'm likely to take the same approach, minus upgrading my computer since I don't have a gaming PC.

It appears my Xbox One X sort of threads the needle between the Xbox Series S and the Series X, so I'm sure it will still remain usable for the next year or two.  If I start to see games where there is a noticeable difference between my One X and the Series X is dramatic or there are games that are only available on next gen, then I might consider an upgrade.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I just watched it. Sony said the only 3 words that would make me care: God of War. 

I've got the latest God of War and it's great. Just don't think what I saw tonight look all that much better. Gotta say though that for me the PS5 Digital looks like a pretty good bet. It's halfway between the XBox Series X and Series S in terms of price and assuming that it's a full fat PS5 just minus the optical drive I'd definitely take it over the Series S. 

It's good to see that the Series X and Non digital PS5 are both the same price though. At this point I'm not buying any of them on day 1 but feeling slightly more Tempted by PS5 Digital.

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

It's good to see that the Series X and Non digital PS5 are both the same price though. At this point I'm not buying any of them on day 1 but feeling slightly more Tempted by PS5 Digital.

Yeah, this was well played by Sony.

Pricing the digital version $100 less than the XSX and the disc-based version of the PS5 all but ensures the PS5 digital version will be the most in-demand console this year and next.  I'm going to stick with my X1X for the time being, but if I were forced to buy one at launch it would be the PS5 digital and then grab the PS+ package to play some of the PS4 games I wanted to try but didn't because I skipped Sony this generation.

Sony also was smart to get a jump start on pre-orders ahead of Microsoft.  Dumb move by Microsoft by waiting two weeks to open pre-orders.  They had an opportunity to launch pre-orders last week when Sony hadn't released any launch or pricing information.

2 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

It is absolutely embarrassing how few games Xbox has now. 

Yeah, it's kind of amazing Microsoft has allowed this problem to fester for so long.

Their dependence on Halo, Gears, and Forza to drive console sales has been a strategy of diminishing returns.  They were suppose to fix this problem with their studio splurges a few years ago.  I was really expecting a rash of first-party announcements in the lead up of the XSX but it's been startling to see little to nothing coming from all those new studios Microsoft gobbled up the last five years.  

I'll likely stay with Microsoft because most of my friends are on Xbox, my preference is for the Xbox controller, and I really only have time for one or two games per year, which usually end up being third-party games.  As much as I agree that Sony's first-party exclusives are greater in quantity, there aren't a whole lot that I'm dying to try.  The Uncharted series did nothing for me that I couldn't get from Tomb Raider, God of War was never my thing, and I found the first Last of Us boring as fuck.  Spiderman, Shadow of Colossus, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Dreams are the only games I'd like to try, but not at the expense of buying a new system.  

I'm pretty much limited to whatever Rockstar puts out, Forza Horizons, and if EA ever made another golf game (make another Tiger Woods!).  

6 hours ago, downzy said:

Yeah, it's kind of amazing Microsoft has allowed this problem to fester for so long.

Their dependence on Halo, Gears, and Forza to drive console sales has been a strategy of diminishing returns.  They were suppose to fix this problem with their studio splurges a few years ago.  I was really expecting a rash of first-party announcements in the lead up of the XSX but it's been startling to see little to nothing coming from all those new studios Microsoft gobbled up the last five years.  

I'll likely stay with Microsoft because most of my friends are on Xbox, my preference is for the Xbox controller, and I really only have time for one or two games per year, which usually end up being third-party games.  As much as I agree that Sony's first-party exclusives are greater in quantity, there aren't a whole lot that I'm dying to try.  The Uncharted series did nothing for me that I couldn't get from Tomb Raider, God of War was never my thing, and I found the first Last of Us boring as fuck.  Spiderman, Shadow of Colossus, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Dreams are the only games I'd like to try, but not at the expense of buying a new system.  

I'm pretty much limited to whatever Rockstar puts out, Forza Horizons, and if EA ever made another golf game (make another Tiger Woods!).  

I actually can't see the point of buying the non digital version for an extra $100. One of the main selling points of these new machines is the superfast NVME SSDs which only work with full mandatory installs for all games so it's not like buying physical media gives you room for more games on your machine. Even on current gen I can't remember the last game disc I bought that didn't require a whopping great day 1 update to be downloaded anyway. I recently reinstalled Doom 2016 on my XBox One and even with the disc there was a 60GB patch that had to be downloaded and installed before I could play it.

I'm guessing you should be able to fit 6 or 7 games on the PS5 stock SSD so as long as you have a decent internet connection it's no hardship to delete and re-download games as and when you want to play them. My primary M.2 SSD on my PC is only 512GB so I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling games from my Steam library. Takes a couple of hours to download a AAA title at 100GB or so and that's only going to get quicker as broadband speeds increase in the next few years.

The only two arguments I can see are swapping and trading of games and use as a 4K UHD Bluray player. Swapping and trading is a fair point but one that would have appealed to me more in my younger days when I played more games and couldn't afford to buy new games very often. I suppose if you really wanted to watch 4K UHD Blurays the optical drive might be useful but I've probably watched two Blurays in my life and don't own any films on physical media so it would be a bit pointless for me.

Edited by Dazey

On 9/17/2020 at 3:09 AM, Dazey said:

I actually can't see the point of buying the non digital version for an extra $100. One of the main selling points of these new machines is the superfast NVME SSDs which only work with full mandatory installs for all games so it's not like buying physical media gives you room for more games on your machine. Even on current gen I can't remember the last game disc I bought that didn't require a whopping great day 1 update to be downloaded anyway. I recently reinstalled Doom 2016 on my XBox One and even with the disc there was a 60GB patch that had to be downloaded and installed before I could play it.

I'm guessing you should be able to fit 6 or 7 games on the PS5 stock SSD so as long as you have a decent internet connection it's no hardship to delete and re-download games as and when you want to play them. My primary M.2 SSD on my PC is only 512GB so I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling games from my Steam library. Takes a couple of hours to download a AAA title at 100GB or so and that's only going to get quicker as broadband speeds increase in the next few years.

The only two arguments I can see are swapping and trading of games and use as a 4K UHD Bluray player. Swapping and trading is a fair point but one that would have appealed to me more in my younger days when I played more games and couldn't afford to buy new games very often. I suppose if you really wanted to watch 4K UHD Blurays the optical drive might be useful but I've probably watched two Blurays in my life and don't own any films on physical media so it would be a bit pointless for me.

It definitely feels as though this will be the last Sony's (and likely Microsoft's) last generation of disc-based consoles.  I haven't bought a physical game in two or three years.

I would say one appeal of a disc version of the PS5 for someone like myself would be if it played old PS4 games.  But this is mitigated by the fact that Sony is including a lot of the better PS4 games into PS+.  Sure, there are some missing like some of the most recent PS4 exclusives, but give it enough time and I bet games like Last of Two and Ghosts of Tsushima will eventually find their way on to PS+ or perhaps available from an online sale.

Other than GTA or RDR, there isn't a single game I'm paying $70-$80 for.  So I have no problem waiting for digital sales.

The 4K UHD is still something I would want, but only because it's difficult to rent 4K movies.  Most digital rental platforms only offer 1080p.  I imagine that will change in the next few years.  Thankfully I have my Xbox One X that plays 4K UHD discs, so if I were to buy a PS5 I don't need another blu-ray player. 

I still can't see myself buying either console for the next year or so.  New house so money for updates and repairs come first.  Plus it sounds like most new games will be playable on my X1X.  If I were to buy a new system it most likely will be the PS5 all-digital.  Depends on how drastic the difference in graphics between the PS5 and XSX.  RDR2 saw a noticeable difference between the PS4 and X1X.  If the same dynamic presented itself with the next GTA I would probably get the XSX.  

On 9/17/2020 at 10:53 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Then again, I might get caught up in the hype. PS5 releases on my birthday... lol

I have a feeling that if you didn't get your pre-order in yesterday it's unlikely you'll get one this holiday season.

I thought about buying one just to resell it to make some money, but decided against it as I didn't want to be part of the problem. 

I will say that Sony did themselves no favours with how the pre-orders were rolled out yesterday.  No mention of pre-orders in the actual presentation, followed by an offhand mention on twitter, then Walmart jumped the gun and opened up pre-orders without any warning well before 12:01am.  This forced other retailers to do the same, leaving many who were promised by Sony to get a heads up to be left in the cold.  It could not have been executed worse.  

Pre-ordering/getting a first run is a hard pass for me.

The two upcoming games I care about the most (Horizon: Forbidden West and Hitman 3) are both going to be available for the PS4 anyways, so I'm happy to keep my PS4 for the foreseeable future. The hardware and graphic upgrades aren't a make or break for me. I still think most 360 and PS3 games play and look great. Plus, with the free upgrade to the PS5 versions when I do switch over it's not like I'm losing out on the improved versions.

I want the disc version mostly to be able to play UHD discs as I still prefer to collect films physically, but $630 Canadian is pretty steep. By the time I buy the console, the two aforementioned games, and add tax I'd be pushing $1000.

I'll happily wait for a PS5 slim or, at the very least, a price drop the following year.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I'll happily wait for a PS5 slim or, at the very least, a price drop the following year.

Yeah, this is another big factor for waiting. The big white box Sony decided to go with would stick out like a sore thumb below my tv. I would be much more interested if/when Somy releases something in black and in a smaller form factor. 

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hopefully it means less Tod Howard/bullshit

This I would doubt very much.  I think Howard was likely locked in as part of the deal.

If I had it my way I'd hand over Halo to ID Software.

That's a really cool idea, something I didn't think about.   But I could see them doing Gears before Halo.  

It's so insane how rich Microsoft is at this point. I remember back in the 90s Bill Gates was worth 'only' $60billion.

Yeah, it's kind of funny reading Sony fanboys talk about how Sony is going to vanquish Microsoft from the console gaming industry.  Microsoft could buy Sony ten times over and not skip a beat.  I really don't want that to happen as I'm glad there is some competition in the industry, but Microsoft is very unlikely to go anywhere at this point.  

9 hours ago, downzy said:

This I would doubt very much.  I think Howard was likely locked in as part of the deal.

That's a really cool idea, something I didn't think about.   But I could see them doing Gears before Halo.  

Yeah, it's kind of funny reading Sony fanboys talk about how Sony is going to vanquish Microsoft from the console gaming industry.  Microsoft could buy Sony ten times over and not skip a beat.  I really don't want that to happen as I'm glad there is some competition in the industry, but Microsoft is very unlikely to go anywhere at this point.  

Sony used some smart strategies, specifically selecting DVD and Blu Ray as the format for their consoles, and pretty much have a lead in console sales because of their IPs. It's all good for me as a PC fan, competition has meant that microsoft is spreading the Xbox platform to PC gaming and now I can play Master chief collection on my gaming rig 😎

I had the opportunity to preorder an Xbox Series S but I passed and still am going to go with Playstation. The Bethesda acquisition is definitely a big deal, but ES6, Fallout 5, and Starfield are all probably years away. At that point I might just buy the Series S or build a PC to play those and the most likely inevitable Halo 7. Irritating I have to jump through hoops to play Bethesda games but that is business. It was a very smart move for Microsoft. Bethesda had a very weak current gen (Doom seems cool, though) for their RPGs, but I think they will certainly get ES6 and Starfield out at some point for the next gen. 

Edited by ZoSoRose