Next Gen Thread (Xbox Series X & PS5)

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I used to love the N64 joystick. What controls did you use for Goldeneye? I always used to use the yellow buttons to move and the stick to aim. It worked great back in the day. 

Ahhh yes Goldeneye! Loved that clunky multiplayer mode where you could hit someone because their arm was sticking through the wall.

I used the same buttons if I recall. But my problem was with the stick, I played a lot of Mario Party with my younger sister. And some of those minigames required a lot of twists and turns of the joystick.

After a while the stick started drifting, which fucks up your aiming in other games. I had this with most of my N64 controllers eventually. 

Man I have to play Goldeneye again now. I played the remaster for the PS3 but it's nothing like the original game. I used to love Goldeneye's simple sound effects.

• Like 2
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Emulators. Perfect for old console games.

Microsoft buys Bethesda: https://www.cnet.com/news/why-microsoft-7-5-billion-dollar-purchase-bethesda-parent-company-zenimax-big-deal-for-xbox/ FYI, Bethesda makes Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Do

I'll tell you what my biggest concern is with what we are seeing from the new consoles, a lot of what is either being assumed/presented as in-game "real time" visuals isn't.   Sony has a lon

Posted Images

I never could get into Goldeneye.  Back in the late 90s I had an N64 and PS1, but limited by FPS gaming to PC.  I never understood the hype around Goldeneye considering it was substantially inferior to FPSs on PCs.  When you're using to playing Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Descent, and other FPSs with a mouse and keyboard while playing multiplayer using the entire screen, going back to four player split screen with wonky controls made zero sense to me.  

And yes, the N64 controller is absurd looking back at it today.  At the time I thought it was revolutionary (and to a certain extent it was since it was one of, if not the, first to include a joystick).  It's amazing it would take controller ten years to get it right (Xbox 360).  

I loved Golden Eye. I spent so many hours playing the man with the golden gun against my stepbrother. My favourite gaming memory comes from this when he had hardly any health left but he found the golden gun , so he came after me (laughing) - I had no gun, so I hid behind a door and waited for him, he burst through and I slapped him and he died and I got the golden gun. Classic! 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, downzy said:

I never could get into Goldeneye.  Back in the late 90s I had an N64 and PS1, but limited by FPS gaming to PC.  I never understood the hype around Goldeneye considering it was substantially inferior to FPSs on PCs.  When you're using to playing Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Descent, and other FPSs with a mouse and keyboard while playing multiplayer using the entire screen, going back to four player split screen with wonky controls made zero sense to me.  

And yes, the N64 controller is absurd looking back at it today.  At the time I thought it was revolutionary (and to a certain extent it was since it was one of, if not the, first to include a joystick).  It's amazing it would take controller ten years to get it right (Xbox 360).  

I think that the Saturn was the first to include an analogue stick but it wasn't bundled with the machine if I recall correctly.

Any mention of the Tiananmen Square massacre has been censored from the upcoming 'Call of Duty: Cold War', globally not just in China, at the demand of the Chinese Communist Party.

Not buying it now.

Edited by Oldest Goat
48 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Any mention of the Tiananmen Square massacre has been censored from the upcoming 'Call of Duty: Cold War', globally not just in China, at the demand of the Chinese Communist Party.

Not buying it now.

Have you got Mortal Kombat 11 Goaty?

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Have you got Mortal Kombat 11 Goaty?

Nah mate I should probably get that though it looks cool and you should get MCC. Not sure about RDR2 anymore the multiplayer looks very sparse, they should do an Undead Nightmare 2.

32 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Nah mate I should probably get that though it looks cool and you should get MCC. Not sure about RDR2 anymore the multiplayer looks very sparse, they should do an Undead Nightmare 2.

Have you tried googling for Steam codes vs actually buying games via Steam? So much cheaper.  

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Have you tried googling for Steam codes vs actually buying games via Steam? So much cheaper.  

Hmm nah I'd feel a bit paranoid about that tbh but I just checked and it's only like $105NZD for the Aftermath kollection, which I think includes everything? I'll get that tomorrow or something I'll let know when and we can duke it out and voicechat if you want.

Mortal Kombat 11 looks great tbh funwise and graphically. It puts me off that MK12 will probably come out soon but I can just wait for the komplete version of that.

• 2 weeks later...

I see an Xbox series S is being released as well as the X. I watched a video about it but am not much the wiser.

I was going to preorder the X (not for me) but I see the S is much cheaper. It's to replace a fairly old Xbox One as a xmas present.

Is the main difference that the S has no disc drive so online purchased games only?

Obviously cheaper price point is appealing but is it one of those false economy things?

47 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I see an Xbox series S is being released as well as the X. I watched a video about it but am not much the wiser.

I was going to preorder the X (not for me) but I see the S is much cheaper. It's to replace a fairly old Xbox One as a xmas present.

Is the main difference that the S has no disc drive so online purchased games only?

Obviously cheaper price point is appealing but is it one of those false economy things?

The S is much less powerful. It will still play the same games but they won't look as good or play as well.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I would bet that for most players the S will be enough.  The only draw back is its limited hard drive space.  This is only an issue if you have a slow internet connection or your son uses discs rather than digital downloads to play games.

In terms of performance, it is less powerful than the X, but you have to put things in perspective.  I currently own the Xbox One X, which produces amazing 4K visuals at a decent frame rate.  It's not going to compete against what PCs can do, but for consoles it does produce visuals that I would say are impressive.  While the new Xbox Series S won't produce 4K visuals, it will be similar in power and produce similar or faster frame rates.  Plus it comes with the benefit of a SSD hard drive for faster load times.   According to the press release it will be able to pull off all the cool visual effects of its more powerful cousin (the X), but just at a lower resolution.  If you don't have the most cutting edge tv, the likelihood that your son will be able to see the difference is unlikely.  The price difference is $200, which could buy a year of Game Pass or three AAA games. 

As it is a gift I think you're going to be fine with the Xbox Series S.  The X strikes me as the console geared towards the upper elite players who need every bell and whistle. 

We'll know more in the coming months how drastic the visual differences will be.  My guess is it won't be worth the extra $200 for most players but time will tell.  

Here's a good article that breaks down the difference:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21428792/microsoft-xbox-series-s-specs-cpu-teraflops-performance-gpu

Unless you have a top of the line 4K set, you're fine with the Series S.  

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Thanks for the answers. Made more sense than the video I tried to watch. :lol:

No problem. I think it comes down to the tv the new console will be played on. If it’s on a 65” 4K set then splurge and get the X. If it’s on anything smaller than 55” then get the S. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, alfierose said:

Get the X boss

The PS5 launch date and price is expected to be announced next week.

My bet is the disc drive model lists for $499 USD.  The all digital will come in at $400 - $450.  

Launch date: November 13th.  

4 hours ago, downzy said:

The PS5 launch date and price is expected to be announced next week.

My bet is the disc drive model lists for $499 USD.  The all digital will come in at $400 - $450.  

Launch date: November 13th.  

I think that's a good bet. I think Sony were just waiting for Microsoft to announce the Series X price first to avoid being undercut.

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I think that's a good bet. I think Sony were just waiting for Microsoft to announce the Series X price first to avoid being undercut.

It's kind of amazing that both went so long without announcing a release date or price(s).  I think Microsoft had hoped Sony would have gone first and then they could have undercut the PS5 on price.  

I would be interested in a PS5 digital if it's $400 USD and Sony had backwards compatible available for PS4's AAA games.  Sony would do themselves a world of favour by having PS4's top games available for download at a heavily discounted price for those people buying a PS5 digital.  Microsoft is offering a ton of value with the Xbox Series S and GamePass for those not interested in 4k resolution (though apparently the box will upscale 1080p games to 4k). 

I'm waiting a year at least until I can see a few decent exclusives before I decide. In the meantime I'm going to Trade in my RTX 2070 Super and get a 3080 which should be more than enough to keep me going for now.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
20 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm waiting a year at least until I can see a few decent exclusives before I decide. In the meantime I'm going to Trade in my RTX 2070 Super and get a 3080 which should be more than enough to keep me going for now.

I'm likely to take the same approach, minus upgrading my computer since I don't have a gaming PC.

It appears my Xbox One X sort of threads the needle between the Xbox Series S and the Series X, so I'm sure it will still remain usable for the next year or two.  If I start to see games where there is a noticeable difference between my One X and the Series X is dramatic or there are games that are only available on next gen, then I might consider an upgrade.