The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Did he say that recently? When exactly?

It was at the NAMM guitar show when he debuted his new Gibson’s in late Jan (Edited my original post). The interview (podcast) just came out this weekend. 

its at approx 21mins in the linked podcast above... small mention but big implications!

Edited by Ant

5 minutes ago, Ant said:

It was at the NAMM guitar show when he debuted his new Gibson’s in late Jan (Edited my original post). The interview (podcast) just came out this weekend. 

Ah ok. So not TOO recently, but not ages ago either. Shows that they’ve at least been working on something, and maybe now with the tour suspended, they’ll use the free time to work on it even more.

If Slash can’t work on GnR stuff right now for whatever reason, then he’ll definitely switch over to working on some SMKC stuff for the time being. The guy can’t stop working. He’ll at least be doing SOMETHING during this no-tours-allowed time period.

Edited by rocknroll41

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Slash interview with No Guitar Is Safe podcast around NAMM (late January) but just published today.

”I just had the AFD Les Paul, it just went back into the storage locker, I was doing some Guns stuff in the studio.”

That IS a big tell. Getting the original AFD guitar out of storage for GNR-specific stuff in the studio? That’s confirmation for me that stuff is deffo happening. 🤟

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

True - just going by the ‘AFD’ reference. As you say, at the very least going to a ‘classic’ tone regardless.

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

Fair enough - the fact he is clearly working on GNR stuff is a big thing regardless!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

"the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI". Not all the parts. Other guitars were used to record UYI like the BC Rich Mockingbird on YCBM for example.

The AFD guitar is just a big part of Slash's classic sound so it makes sense it will play a main role in a new Gn'R release, whatever the specific sound Slash and the band are aiming for. Even Slash's Appetite work wasn't recorded just with one guitar. My Michelle was recorded with an SG for example.

Edited by Rovim

I guess Mr. J from htgth saying that they definitely intend to play HardSkool live at some point on this tour is another baby step towards album confirmation... The question now is just how much will the virus get in the way, exactly? The European leg is still in jeopardy.

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

"the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI". Not all the parts. Other guitars were used to record UYI like the BC Rich Mockingbird on YCBM for example.

The AFD guitar is just a big part of Slash's classic sound so it makes sense it will play a main role in a new Gn'R release, whatever the specific sound Slash and the band are aiming for. Even Slash's Appetite work wasn't recorded just with one guitar. My Michelle was recorded with an SG for example.

I don't think he used the BC Rich Mockingbird to record YCBM. Sounds pretty much like his regular LP to me, and def not a floyd rose bridge. I know he used it live back in the 90s.

I wasn't correcting you, I was just giving my opinion. But as far as I know, he only used his famous AFD Les Paul Gibson copy/knock-off for the leads in AFD. He used several others for the rhythm like you said. 

I was talking about other LPs besides his classic 58 gold top for the Illusions. Not sure if he used that tobacco burst (used in the video) for November Rain, but it sure sounded different to me. Guess the amp was not the same too.

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think he used the BC Rich Mockingbird to record YCBM. Sounds pretty much like his regular LP to me, and def not a floyd rose bridge. I know he used it live back in the 90s.

I wasn't correcting you, I was just giving my opinion. But as far as I know, he only used his famous AFD Les Paul Gibson copy/knock-off for the leads in AFD. He used several others for the rhythm like you said. 

I was talking about other LPs besides his classic 58 gold top for the Illusions. Not sure if he used that tobacco burst (used in the video) for November Rain, but it sure sounded different to me. Guess the amp was not the same too.

I mentioned the SG that was used on My Michelle just to highlight the point the debut wasn't all recorded with just the AFD guitar. Leads sounds like a LP but I'm not sure. Slash stated in his book he did use the Joe Perry LP for UYI. Elsewhere he said he used a vintage Flying V on KOHD and the Travis Bean for Bad Obsession.

He even used a Musicman, used Strats for UYI. Dobro for You Ain't The First, a plethora of LP's of course. (vintage, Goldtops)

pretty sure you're right about the BC Rich. I guess it was only used for the YCBM music video.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

Fitting that they finally interviewed him since they've been using his photo for the podcast since they started it.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

That's always been one of his go to guitars for recording, GnR, SMKC, etc. It stays in storage when he's not using it because it's such a historical instrument.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah he used some others too.

• Like 2

Cool interview. Sounds like he accidentally let it slip that he had been using the guitar for GnR recording then when asked more about it he was being vague haha. I think that he just can't confirm anything right now because if he does say "Yeah we're finishing up a record and it'll be out later this year" or something like that then all of the media will pick it up and run with it. They're not going to say anything for sure until GnR has officially announced a new single/album/whatever. Maybe it has to do with Axl/record label/TB but Slash knows that he can't say anything concrete until there's an official statement out.

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Cool interview. Sounds like he accidentally let it slip that he had been using the guitar for GnR recording then when asked more about it he was being vague haha. I think that he just can't confirm anything right now because if he does say "Yeah we're finishing up a record and it'll be out later this year" or something like that then all of the media will pick it up and run with it. They're not going to say anything for sure until GnR has officially announced a new single/album/whatever. Maybe it has to do with Axl/record label/TB but Slash knows that he can't say anything concrete until there's an official statement out.

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient. 

He has always been upfront with SMKC recording and touring plans  so this quietness regarding gnr must be killing him. I just hope the material is worth the wait.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sucks he didn't actually have his guitar and do the normal "No Guitar Is Safe" experience. The one with Phil Collen from Def Leppard and Steve Lukather are both really great for that. 

I liked how he was basically asking Slash "So why did you choose Frank Sidoris over me for SMKC?" haha....

Edited by Ant

It’s long been stated that releasing new music is no longer financially worth it for established acts and that touring the hits is where all the money is made.

Well...

All tours cancelled, consumers stuck indoors and looking for all the entertainment they can get. There will never be a better time this century to release new music. Digitally, anyway.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

I watched a podcast the other day hosted by an Irish fella. He was interviewing Don Jamieson from That Metal Show and Don says nobody wants to hear Axl play a bunch of new songs - they are there for the hits etc. While there is an element of truth to this - for casual concert goers - it does disappoint me that this seems to be the widespread opinion throughout most that are involved in the biz. I seen The Darkness in December, the first hour was their new album from front to back then the second hour was dedicated to hits. Seemed to go down well with all in attendance. People who enjoy music will always be open to hearing new releases from their favourite artists IMO. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

25 minutes ago, Dean said:

I watched a podcast the other day hosted by an Irish fella. He was interviewing Don Jamieson from That Metal Show and Don says nobody wants to hear Axl play a bunch of new songs - they are there for the hits etc. While there is an element of truth to this - for casual concert goers - it does disappoint me that this seems to be the widespread opinion throughout most that are involved in the biz. I seen The Darkness in December, the first hour was their new album from front to back then the second hour was dedicated to hits. Seemed to go down well with all in attendance. People who enjoy music will always be open to hearing new releases from their favourite artists IMO. 

Never hear of this Don Jamieson but he is talking pish. I’d much rather take the opinion of someone like Kirk Hammett who criticised the group for not releasing new material and touring in nostalgia - so he clearly wants new music.

You could argue the amount of time touring a similar setlist has enforced the nostalgia tag though. Pre-reunion the fans still in attendance at the gigs would be 100% all over new material - those fans are still there.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

I mentioned the SG that was used on My Michelle just to highlight the point the debut wasn't all recorded with just the AFD guitar. Leads sounds like a LP but I'm not sure. Slash stated in his book he did use the Joe Perry LP for UYI. Elsewhere he said he used a vintage Flying V on KOHD and the Travis Bean for Bad Obsession.

He even used a Musicman, used Strats for UYI. Dobro for You Ain't The First, a plethora of LP's of course. (vintage, Goldtops)

pretty sure you're right about the BC Rich. I guess it was only used for the YCBM music video.

He used a strat to play Dust N' Bones live. Maybe that's what he used in the studio too?

Also, he must have used the BC Rich to record Reckless Life and maybe Move to the City for the Live Like a Suicide record. Not sure about the other songs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Creed said:

Its the perfect time to release an album since people can't go to concerts.

Guess what GnR will do? Nothing.

It would also be uplifting in this depressing situation. A new GnR album would definitely light up my day, week, month....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

NITL blu ray release, they’re probably recording overdubs. Calm down peepz