The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the idea of being on my death bed, saying "just refresh that page one more time for me....I'm pretty sure that insider was full of shit, but I want to be totally sure....." 

Axl is close to 60 Reunion is now over 4 years old The last unheard new song was played in 2006 The last studio album was in 2008 The last new song before that in 1999 Every s

Grandma's hamster has never been in safer hands.

Posted Images

So, in 24 hours everybody went from pessimistic to optimistic and then pessimistic again? Lol

Seriously, it's too bad they didn't play Hardschool yesterday. Still, this proves nothing.  The fact that they were rehearsing with Axl shows that the plan was to actually play it live, of course. But why would they debut the song in a now one-off concert when the rest of the tour is seemingly postponed? They could, but is it really that hard to understand why they didn't take the chance?

It would be great to hear it live (I'm curious about Duff and Slash's input). But I'm way more interested in what are the chances to get an actual release, even if it's only this track as a single. This is still pretty much a possibility and I'm 100% sure that this would again induce more moody swings here.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

So, in 24 hours everybody went from pessimistic to optimistic and then pessimistic again? Lol

Seriously, it's too bad they didn't play Hardschool yesterday. Still, this proves nothing.  The fact that they were rehearsing with Axl shows that the plan was to actually play it live, of course. But why would they debut the song in a now one-off concert when the rest of the tour is seemingly postponed? They could, but is it really that hard to understand why they didn't take the chance?

It would be great to hear it live (I'm curious about Duff and Slash's input). But I'm way more interested in what are the chances to get an actual release, even if it's only this track as a single. This is still pretty much a possibility and I'm 100% sure that this would again induce more moody swings here.

I think the plan was to prepare for it so it will sound decent in case Axl felt like singing it in Mexico. (HS, PTU, Think About You) He makes these decisions on the fly and these are songs that were never played live/were played a long time ago.

No offence but I dont understand why anyone would put any stock in the phrase "the next chapter." I think most people recognized it as simply the next slogan, which followed "We're just getting started" and "The machine carries on." And there will no doubt be another such slogan after this one. 

So, if and when an album arrives there will be a seemingly corresponding slogan, but the existence of a slogan doesnt indicate a release imo.

• Like 1

There was plenty of reason to believe the new chapter starts now. However with the recent events of the world pandemic things change. My guess is that there was supposed to be some sort of release on Friday but the label pulled the plug.

Edited by Coma16
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think the plan was to prepare for it so it will sound decent in case Axl felt like singing it in Mexico. (HS, PTU, Think About You) He makes these decisions on the fly and these are songs that were never played live/were played a long time ago.

I agree, I'm sure it's exactly what you said. 

But my point is that the fact that they didnt play it doesn't mean anything really. In the bigger picture, this is a false start of a tour. And as far as we know, Hardschool was already being rehearsed for the December shows and everybody seems to forget about it.

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

There was plenty of reason to believe the new chapter starts now. However with the recent events of the world pandemic things change. My guess is that there was supposed to be some sort of release on Friday but the label pulled the plug.

I don't believe they would release a single this Friday at all. I don't even know if they would release Hardschool as a single. Maybe they would play it live just to test the waters and as a preview of what is to come. 

Then later (Europe/US maybe), they would play another new song and then release something. 

So the next gig that is currently going ahead is next Saturday? Fingers crossed for Hardschool being played next weekend.

I'm pretty confident that a finished studio recording exists now if Axl is rehearsing it. I'm hopeful now that it's only a matter of time before we get the track on Spotify etc. :axl:

20 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

So the next gig that is currently going ahead is next Saturday? Fingers crossed for Hardschool being played next weekend.

I'm pretty confident that a finished studio recording exists now if Axl is rehearsing it. I'm hopeful now that it's only a matter of time before we get the track on Spotify etc. :axl:

Agreed. The fact it was rehearsed and one of the videos suggested the intro was different that would suggest work has been done as we all hoped.

• Like 1

Slash interview with No Guitar Is Safe podcast around NAMM (late January) but just published today.

”I just had the AFD Les Paul, it just went back into the storage locker, I was doing some Guns stuff in the studio.”

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

Pretty sure all gigs are canceled until Portugal, in late May. Assuming we get the virus under control by then, which doesn’t seem to be the case right now, unfortunately.

27 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Did he say that recently? When exactly?

It was at the NAMM guitar show when he debuted his new Gibson’s in late Jan (Edited my original post). The interview (podcast) just came out this weekend. 

its at approx 21mins in the linked podcast above... small mention but big implications!

Edited by Ant
5 minutes ago, Ant said:

It was at the NAMM guitar show when he debuted his new Gibson’s in late Jan (Edited my original post). The interview (podcast) just came out this weekend. 

Ah ok. So not TOO recently, but not ages ago either. Shows that they’ve at least been working on something, and maybe now with the tour suspended, they’ll use the free time to work on it even more.

If Slash can’t work on GnR stuff right now for whatever reason, then he’ll definitely switch over to working on some SMKC stuff for the time being. The guy can’t stop working. He’ll at least be doing SOMETHING during this no-tours-allowed time period.

Edited by rocknroll41
2 hours ago, Ant said:

Slash interview with No Guitar Is Safe podcast around NAMM (late January) but just published today.

”I just had the AFD Les Paul, it just went back into the storage locker, I was doing some Guns stuff in the studio.”

That IS a big tell. Getting the original AFD guitar out of storage for GNR-specific stuff in the studio? That’s confirmation for me that stuff is deffo happening. 🤟

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

Edited by Rovim
1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

True - just going by the ‘AFD’ reference. As you say, at the very least going to a ‘classic’ tone regardless.

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

Fair enough - the fact he is clearly working on GNR stuff is a big thing regardless!

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

"the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI". Not all the parts. Other guitars were used to record UYI like the BC Rich Mockingbird on YCBM for example.

The AFD guitar is just a big part of Slash's classic sound so it makes sense it will play a main role in a new Gn'R release, whatever the specific sound Slash and the band are aiming for. Even Slash's Appetite work wasn't recorded just with one guitar. My Michelle was recorded with an SG for example.

Edited by Rovim