The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Atlas was a little underwhelming, in my opinion. Hardschool lived up to the interest and Perhaps was a great surprise. State of Grace and Eye on You were interesting, and good, experimental tracks. 

I don’t know, I don’t think many artists make songs like Atlas. Not sure where these kind of songs come from. It has that magic you can’t explain.

Hardschool is essential for that old school GNR thing. 

I really liked State of Grace. Perfecto Axl vocal. The range of the vocal. Has that Stones thing where it starts out slow and builds. Eye on You isn’t complete. 

Perhaps is great. It’s a little heavy to be a single but like a UYI track. Atlas and Perhaps are UYI 3 type songs. Not as catchy as Yesterdays but not as epic Breakdown. Next level of songwriting, how I see Catcher. Argue about the recording but the songs are there. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Oh, OK, cool. 'Cause you didn't like those records, I guess GNR shouldn't release anything because it may not be up your standards. Ha! It isn't like a terrible album is gonna ruin the legacy that's already there. Same as a myriad of lineup changes never did. Chinese is as good as anything GNR has put out short of Appetite, which I consider the greatest rock and roll record ever.

I didn't say whether they should release an album or not. I just stated the reason an album from these guys doesn't excite me.  Personally I would than no album than a shitty album but they can do whatever the fuck they want and I would never tell a band whether they can release music or not. I also didn't say anything about a legacy...

Nothing worse than someone putting words in my mouth. 

On 25/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, GnR Chris said:

Oh, OK, cool. 'Cause you didn't like those records, I guess GNR shouldn't release anything because it may not be up your standards. Ha! It isn't like a terrible album is gonna ruin the legacy that's already there. Same as a myriad of lineup changes never did. Chinese is as good as anything GNR has put out short of Appetite, which I consider the greatest rock and roll record ever.

Chinese as was released in 08 was as good as the illusions?.

I did laugh......

The 2000 intentions could have been the proper successor to the illusions. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

In defense of Tenderness, I've found in it a good turning point regarding musical direction. Also some songs are actual really good. I'd rather have some mellowed songs with a Country vibe than some industrial shit coming from guys in their nearly 60's.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Chinese as was released in 08 was as good as the illusions?.

I did laugh......

The 2000 intentions could have been the proper successor to the illusions. 

The recent leaks of 2000s-era CD mixes does really highlight that the studio record is sorely lacking in the bass department. But yeah, I stand by my statement. I enjoy Chinese Democracy as much as either Illusion record.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, wasted said:

I don’t know, I don’t think many artists make songs like Atlas. Not sure where these kind of songs come from. It has that magic you can’t explain.

Hardschool is essential for that old school GNR thing. 

I really liked State of Grace. Perfecto Axl vocal. The range of the vocal. Has that Stones thing where it starts out slow and builds. Eye on You isn’t complete. 

Perhaps is great. It’s a little heavy to be a single but like a UYI track. Atlas and Perhaps are UYI 3 type songs. Not as catchy as Yesterdays but not as epic Breakdown. Next level of songwriting, how I see Catcher. Argue about the recording but the songs are there. 

If added Going Down, Silkworms and a reworked Oh My God, plus add vocals to some of the other songs like Oklahoma and Dummy and CD would have been brilliant. 

On 24/12/2019 at 9:39 PM, RussTCB said:

I would LOVE to get a set of "GNR, 1995 - 2007". All of the stuff everyone worked on that's never been released. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. 

This would probably be my dream release tbh. That's why it's never gonna happen lol. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jafeijo said:

In defense of Tenderness, I've found in it a good turning point regarding musical direction. Also some songs are actual really good. I'd rather have some mellowed songs with a Country vibe than some industrial shit coming from guys in their nearly 60's.

If we could get a new album in the vein of Led Zep III that would be ace - a mix of mellow/acoustic and some rocking numbers. Wichita Lineman shows what that style of song could bring.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 4:30 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

If they are just going to rework CD II, we should at least get a Red Panda box set with all the original versions before Slash shits all over Robin's work. And can you imagine what Melissa would do with Pitman's parts? Chills (not the good kind!).

Don't forget Buckethead's parts. I really hope they keep him on most, if not all of the material intended for release. On the bright side, I believe Axl would be more likely to keep old Bucket parts over Bumble's parts. 

• Haha 2

On 12/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, DTJ80 said:

Why oh why did they not use the remix vocals on the original This I Love track.....🙄

I believe Axl's vocals on the This I Love remix were recorded after CD was released.

I actually was not fond of how he sounded on the remix version. His rasp sounded very forced. He was screaming almost the entire time. I'd rather have a more natural clean singing Axl than a forced screaming rasp Axl. He seems to be able to only achieve that when screaming, which is most of the AC/DC stuff. Still sounds good, but would get old, especially if he sings an entire album like that. I like a good mix, like in Hardschool, of course that was recorded 20 years ago so who know what he sounds like now in the studio.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Don't forget Buckethead's parts. I really hope they keep him on most, if not all of the material intended for release. On the bright side, I believe Axl would be more likely to keep old Bucket parts over Bumble's parts. 

Do you really think that they will be keeping Buckethead's parts now that the REAL GNR lead guitarist is back?  No disrespect  to you, but thank God Buckethead is gone. Should have  never been in GNR to begin with. 

Edited by Draguns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

it's Slash though. Axl might want to exclusively use him or at the very least have him rerecord the rest of the work done by past players but I guess anything is possible.

11 hours ago, jafeijo said:

Tenderness is so fucking good, i don't understand the complaints. So what if it isn't rock! Duff has improved his lyrical output and has created something interesting in Tenderness. I would take Tenderness over a generic SMKC album any day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, there is no dana only zool said:

What would be the thing that would excite you the most in reading about the album before its release?; as in like, one of the band members' descriptions.  Mine would be- assuming the quote would come from Duff- "it's basically Use Your Illusion III."

"It's one of the best things we've ever created together. And Axl sounds incredible there. Can't wait for it to be released. Oh and it's due within 3 months..." 

14 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

If added Going Down, Silkworms and a reworked Oh My God, plus add vocals to some of the other songs like Oklahoma and Dummy and CD would have been brilliant. 

I can see Slash add parts or re-recording most of these songs, then adding 4-5 new songs to the pot. 

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I believe Axl's vocals on the This I Love remix were recorded after CD was released.

I actually was not fond of how he sounded on the remix version. His rasp sounded very forced. He was screaming almost the entire time. I'd rather have a more natural clean singing Axl than a forced screaming rasp Axl. He seems to be able to only achieve that when screaming, which is most of the AC/DC stuff. Still sounds good, but would get old, especially if he sings an entire album like that. I like a good mix, like in Hardschool, of course that was recorded 20 years ago so who know what he sounds like now in the studio.

Agreed with a variance like Hardschool but TIL seemed better for the rasp IMO. As for the studio - RTR confirmed he can still sound good on that front.

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

Agreed with a variance like Hardschool but TIL seemed better for the rasp IMO. As for the studio - RTR confirmed he can still sound good on that front.

If they can make Ozzy sound like Ozzy, they can make Axl sound like Axl.

And TIL was a beast live in 2010, his vocals on the record are underwhelming compared to that.

• GNFNR 1

On 24.12.2019 at 11:58 PM, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I'm not saying it's the sensible thing to do, just the right thing to do. Slash is butchering CD songs left and right. At least us CD fans still have the original to go back to, but as of right now there are CD II songs we may never hear in their original form. 

Thats your point of view. Mine is he saves them as far as that's possible.

• Haha 1