The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

We've lost the plot. 

That shipped sailed many years ago. As an MJ fan, I'm aware that we have a reputation for being a tad unhinged, but I've come across far more nutjobs in the GNR fan community, tbh.

An MJ fan too. Even in the long gaps between albums there were things to tide us over. Trial years we had the Number Ones album with a new single, a year or two later a best of with some genuinely unheard demos and unrelunreleased tracks. Post trial Thriller 25 with some new versions of iconic tracks, not great I know but at least it was something. 

All 3 things GNR could have easily done since 2016 if they're scared or don't know how to release a new album (cringiest statement Slash has ever said)  

2016 a new beat of the cash in with the tour with one new single. Something like Atlas which by now would have had new drums by Frank. Simply strip Tommys bass and the guitars and Duff and Slash. Effortless. 

2018 release of ADD 30th anniversary box set with some rerecorded versions of a few tracks. Maybe with some guests, contemporary artists bursting with them. Not my cup of tea but at least its something. 

2020 maybe a new album of demos and unreleased stuff. Few alt versions from the CD sessions, new version of Better. Again, a cop out but SOMETHING at least and all three ideas so easy to do. 

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

We're literally talking whether a global pandememic is stopping an album that doesn't exist, that we've never had a single word saying it exists confirmed, being released. By a band who have put out 1 album in 27 years. We've lost the plot. 

As fans we build ourselves up based on nothing. The start if every tour comes with our usual expectation. Not even hope, actual expectation that they'll be playing a new track. Based on nothing. When they don't play anything new we say fuck this band. We've been doing it since 2011. We're sadists really and certainly gluten for punishment. 

Well, let's get the facts, shall we?

- There's tons of unreleased music from Axl and the other incarnations. This is confirmed not only by Axl himself, but several other people (Sebastian Bach, Bumblefoot, Ashba etc.). The Village leaks are also confirmation that he had other tracks before CD was released. As far as we know, Axl didnt just deleted those tracks from his vault. Those tracks are Axl's work too. I'm not arguing if it's "real GNR" or not, it is what it is. 

- Slash himself confirmed more than once that he recorded for GNR. Don't remember if Duff said something about it too, but they said Axl showed his stuff :awesomeface:

- Hardschool was on the setlist. The band rehearsed it with Axl. There are signs that Duff and Slash reworked it. Those are all documented proofs.

There are rumors that also said an album in March or shit like that, but that doesn't count.

So yeah, it's not just a matter of people building themselves up "based on nothing". In some shape or form, an album does exist and he could very well release it now if he really wanted to. It's up to Axl, sure, and we're all aware about the band's history. People also know the expectation and speculation are heavy with this, it's just something to talk about and have fun. I don't see any harm on it even more so in the current situation we're all going through.

BTW, we're not doing this since 2011. Back in the late 90s and early 2000's, people used the same argument about CD. They said the album didnt exist and it would never be released.

Edited by Voodoochild

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, let's get the facts, shall we?

- There's tons of unreleased music from Axl and the other incarnations. This is confirmed not only by Axl himself, but several other people (Sebastian Bach, Bumblefoot, Ashba etc.). The Village leaks are also confirmation that he had other tracks before CD was released. As far as we know, Axl didnt just deleted those tracks from his vault. Those tracks are Axl's work too. I'm not arguing if it's "real GNR" or not, it is what it is. 

- Slash himself confirmed more than once that he recorded for GNR. Don't remember if Duff said something about it too, but they said Axl showed his stuff :awesomeface:

- Hardschool was on the setlist. The band rehearsed it with Axl. There are signs that Duff and Slash reworked it. Those are all documented proofs.

There are rumors that also said an album in March or shit like that, but that doesn't count.

So yeah, it's not just a matter of people building themselves up "based on nothing". In some shape or form, an album does exist and he could very well release it now if he really wanted to. It's up to Axl, sure, and we're all aware about the band's history. People also know the expectation and speculation are heavy with this, it's just something to talk about and have fun. I don't see any harm on it even more so in the current situation we're all going through.

BTW, we're not doing this since 2011. Back in the late 90s and early 2000's, people used the same argument about CD. They said the album didnt exist and it would never be released.

But it is just ideal gossip. Yeah there's been stuff about them recording and Fernando saying they might put something out. But it's no different to back in 2012 when Fortus would say crap like "we're looking at what we've got and starting to think about what's next"  

When I said 2011 I mean before that we had the 2009 tour which had a genuinely new set list and prior to that each tour was different. Since then it's been the sane old stuff. Bar slash and Duff returning nothing has happened. Although a song like TWAT or Madagascar is exciting when they play it. It doesn't make up for the bizarre behaviour. 

If you believe an album is imminent you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I do believe they will put out a new song one day, I truly do. But not for at least another 18 months to 2 years to give then time to prepare it. By prepare it, I mean it's probably recorded but in need of  least the guitars being rerecorded 5 times. 

12 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

An MJ fan too. Even in the long gaps between albums there were things to tide us over. Trial years we had the Number Ones album with a new single, a year or two later a best of with some genuinely unheard demos and unrelunreleased tracks. Post trial Thriller 25 with some new versions of iconic tracks, not great I know but at least it was something. 

All 3 things GNR could have easily done since 2016 if they're scared or don't know how to release a new album (cringiest statement Slash has ever said)  

2016 a new beat of the cash in with the tour with one new single. Something like Atlas which by now would have had new drums by Frank. Simply strip Tommys bass and the guitars and Duff and Slash. Effortless. 

2018 release of ADD 30th anniversary box set with some rerecorded versions of a few tracks. Maybe with some guests, contemporary artists bursting with them. Not my cup of tea but at least its something. 

2020 maybe a new album of demos and unreleased stuff. Few alt versions from the CD sessions, new version of Better. Again, a cop out but SOMETHING at least and all three ideas so easy to do. 

While the band are having down time they could do setup some sort of subscription streaming service, but playing board games seems to be the more productive way to pass time.

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

But it is just ideal gossip. Yeah there's been stuff about them recording and Fernando saying they might put something out. But it's no different to back in 2012 when Fortus would say crap like "we're looking at what we've got and starting to think about what's next"  

When I said 2011 I mean before that we had the 2009 tour which had a genuinely new set list and prior to that each tour was different. Since then it's been the sane old stuff. Bar slash and Duff returning nothing has happened. Although a song like TWAT or Madagascar is exciting when they play it. It doesn't make up for the bizarre behaviour. 

If you believe an album is imminent you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I do believe they will put out a new song one day, I truly do. But not for at least another 18 months to 2 years to give then time to prepare it. By prepare it, I mean it's probably recorded but in need of  least the guitars being rerecorded 5 times. 

I don't think Fortus and Slash are in the same league on this. And I wasn't really considering anything from Fernando really. 

But the fact is that Hardschool was rehearsed and with Axl. And we know stuff was recorded back in 2001 and after, it's not like we're just assuming, we all heard the leaks and know Axl had at least some more tracks like The General with full vocal tracks recorded.

I dont mind the disappointment, it's better than be negative to the point to deny a little bit of evidence. But I dont expect that much, really. Not holding my breath. 

And well, from the reaction I saw here with the Hardschool rehearsal, I know a lot of people actually jump immediatly to the absolute joy at any given time.  

Alkaline Trio put out an announcement:

"With the tour postponed and the current state of the world, we feel and hope that some new music will help people transcend the uncertainty and possible fear they might be feeling, if even for a few minutes," says Matt Skiba. "Music has always had a way of helping us all cope with unpleasant times. We can only hope that ours can do the same for our fans on some level. We hope you enjoy the songs."

Meanwhile, GNR pretend like they don't know how to release new music in the current musical climate.

43 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

"With the tour postponed and the current state of the world, we feel and hope that some new music will help people transcend the uncertainty and possible fear they might be feeling, if even for a few minutes," says Matt Skiba. "Music has always had a way of helping us all cope with unpleasant times. We can only hope that ours can do the same for our fans on some level. We hope you enjoy the songs."

Meanwhile, GNR pretend like they don't know how to release new music in the current musical climate.

I guess it only truly applies to new music. They had no trouble releasing the bloated Appetite box set and SOYL as a single. What a band.

27 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I guess it only truly applies to new music. They had no trouble releasing the bloated Appetite box set and SOYL as a single. What a band.

Weird how all these bands can figure out how to put new music out there except for one, GNR. I give up.

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

Yep and that's exactly what I was saying the other day. There's absolutely no reason not to release new music right now. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 4:45 AM, rumandraisin said:

We're literally talking whether a global pandememic is stopping an album that doesn't exist, that we've never had a single word saying it exists confirmed, being released. By a band who have put out 1 album in 27 years. We've lost the plot. 

As fans we build ourselves up based on nothing. The start if every tour comes with our usual expectation. Not even hope, actual expectation that they'll be playing a new track. Based on nothing. When they don't play anything new we say fuck this band. We've been doing it since 2011. We're sadists really and certainly gluten for punishment. 

If, in December 1991 somebody asked you what would happen first:

A) Guns n' Roses with Axl and Slash in the band would release a new studio album or

B) There would be a global pandemic that banned all sporting events and concerts

how many people would have answered "B?"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

If, in December 1991 somebody asked you what would happen first:

A) Guns n' Roses with Axl and Slash in the band would release a new studio album or

B) There would be a global pandemic that banned all sporting events and concerts

how many people would have answered "B?"

A would've been right.

TSI?

Edited by davisp

12 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

They dont even have to release an album now. Just a single (with promise of more to come) would be already good enough. 

I think even this, right now... and Hell, even that Alkaline Trio talking about their plans to release new music because of the crisis is a little in poor taste and quite frankly, a little classless.  Like, it seems a along the lines of virtue signaling.  Kind of like a, "aww, they're trying to do something positive in the face of global anxiety" but the truth is that, what the Hell is new music going to do to help anyone's health this month?  We already have an entire human evolution's worth of music and if there's ever been a time to re-listen or re-watch stuff that you KNOW is a guaranteed pleasurable experience- something you can be certain of (during an uncertain time) that you'll like, it's now.

I really, firmly believe that people's emotions are too bound by fear to genuinely enjoy even the announcement of new art.  Give it a month, I say, before releasing new music, etc.  By then, I think lots of people will have pulled themselves together (assuming the virus is under control).  Now though, I think that unless you're out mowing lawns for senior citizens or leaving groceries on their doorstep, anything else is just "hey look at me!! [ps: please remember to hit the like button, lol]"

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

I think even this, right now... and Hell, even that Alkaline Trio talking about their plans to release new music because of the crisis is a little in poor taste and quite frankly, a little classless.  Like, it seems a along the lines of virtue signaling.  Kind of like a, "aww, they're trying to do something positive in the face of global anxiety" but the truth is that, what the Hell is new music going to do to help anyone's health this month?  We already have an entire human evolution's worth of music and if there's ever been a time to re-listen or re-watch stuff that you KNOW is a guaranteed pleasurable experience- something you can be certain of (during an uncertain time) that you'll like, it's now.

I really, firmly believe that people's emotions are too bound by fear to genuinely enjoy even the announcement of new art.  Give it a month, I say, before releasing new music, etc.  By then, I think lots of people will have pulled themselves together (assuming the virus is under control).  Now though, I think that unless you're out mowing lawns for senior citizens or leaving groceries on their doorstep, anything else is just "hey look at me!! [ps: please remember to hit the like button, lol]"

I disagree. It is something to hold on, to give people some joy of excitement. You asked "what the hell is new music going to do to help anyone's health this month?" and I think you're not considering the mental health here. I can tell I'm always trying to look some other stuff to do (like posting here) because I have to read everything regarding the virus, it's part of my job, and things are way too fucked up to not have some relief. 

Yes, people are scared. Yes, people have tons of released music from a hundred years worth of music industry. That's why it's more important than ever to give people art. For them to understand that we're not paralyzed, that there's still some stuff to look forward to - not backwards. I'm sure the majority of people wouldn't think it's just for the sake of the artist's ego.

Sure it's just my opinion, but keep in mind that the context here is that we're assuming the band already had something finished to release too. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

it's going to help Alkaline fans in that it will give them something cool to listen to. You can't tell me it wouldn't brighten your day at least a little bit if Gn'R released a double album tomorrow that rocked hard. Might be a small thing compared to the horrid shit that's happening right now but that's kinda the point: you take comfort in what you can so even if you don't think it'll work for you, it'll probably work for others.

doesn't matter how much great music there is already, new releases reflect other things. It's just a different source of excitement.

I do think that short Alkaline statement was kinda lame. I would have preferred it if they just did it without saying anything at all.

I completely disagree about people being too fearful to be excited about the announcement of new music. Maybe if it was a band you're really into, you'd feel differently, idk.

• Like 4