The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, TheSlashrose said:

I believe that the agreement between Axl, Slash and Duff has always been to tour only. Slash was in the studio to re-record SOYL, the band pretends like not knowing how to release something new. Shit and Disappointment

the band didn't pretend to not know how to release music. Slash did an interview where he said this:

"Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It's just like, how do you want to do this? I mean, there's material and there's recording and there's shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we're doing with it right now."

and this:

Given the substantial changes to the music industry since their last time in the studio, Guns N' Roses are debating what shape their songs should take. "There’s a handful people who said, 'Yeah, make a record and go old-school,'" Slash said. "And there’s a handful of people that are, like, 'We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!'"

sounds like they're still undecided about which approach to choose in order for it to succeed as much as possible.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

the band didn't pretend to not know how to release music. Slash did an interview where he said this:

"Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It's just like, how do you want to do this? I mean, there's material and there's recording and there's shit going on, but we’re not really sure what we're doing with it right now."

and this:

Given the substantial changes to the music industry since their last time in the studio, Guns N' Roses are debating what shape their songs should take. "There’s a handful people who said, 'Yeah, make a record and go old-school,'" Slash said. "And there’s a handful of people that are, like, 'We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!'"

sounds like they're still undecided about which approach to choose in order for it to succeed as much as possible.

maybe just follow the Ozzie, pearl jam, Green day, taylor, Lada Gaga, etc, etc, etc, etc.  They are releasing music in the same world as gnr lives in.  Thats just a pathetic excuse not to do anything

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rovim said:

and this:

This, plus there's all the stuff with the record label.

14 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

maybe just follow the Ozzie, pearl jam, Green day, taylor, Lada Gaga, etc, etc, etc, etc.  They are releasing music in the same world as gnr lives in.  Thats just a pathetic excuse not to do anything

Except a new GnR album is a way bigger deal than any of those artists you mentioned, so they want to make sure they do it the right way. This isn't just any old album.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

I believe that the agreement between Axl, Slash and Duff has always been to tour only. Slash was in the studio to re-record SOYL, the band pretends like not knowing how to release something new. Shit and Disappointment

SOYL was recorded in 1987 with Mike K. right before the recordings of Appetite For Destruction

I'm sorry but I just do not see any disadvantage in releasing new music right now. No one has to leave their house to get the product. It's delivered directly to every customer. On top of that, people are more active on social media than ever right now for obvious reasons. The album would promote itself if it was released out of nowhere right now. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's no way a new GNR album is a bigger deal than a new Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga album in 2020. Neither in sales or media attention.

This idea that a new GNR album is some sort of sacred monument that couldn't possibly be released in a normal way because it's just too important and valuable etc etc is just more excuses for not doing anything. They're an old rock band with a rapidly dwindling small hardcore fanbase and an audience made up of people who couldn't give a fuck about them beyond buying a ticket to play mass karaoke for two songs and dressing up like it's 1989 for a night. 

We wildly overestimate how much the general public cares about this band because we're in a bubble on here. 

You are 100% correct. A new GNR isn't anywhere near as important to the general public as a lot of users on here seem to think. 

I would argue that this current situation would help GNR find a much bigger audience than they would if things were normal. 

• Like 1

I'm not even worried about a new album but GNR like all other musicians in the current situation provide escapism. I mean think like streaming services will come in big as they provide a distraction. This coronavirus will pass but it's a case of trying to distract ourselves until it does is the thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

You are 100% correct. A new GNR isn't anywhere near as important to the general public as a lot of users on here seem to think. 

I would argue that this current situation would help GNR find a much bigger audience than they would if things were normal. 

I'd argue that too. I see people's point of view on the opposite end (that is seems trivial at a time like this) but speaking from a personal point of view, I'm listening to more music than ever at the moment and seeking new ways to occupy my time. My attention is naturally turned to music, books and television as not only a method of escapism and distraction but also through mental necessity. 

Not that I think for one second though that the coronavirus has upset any plans, or will cause any plans to change, becasue I truly don't believe there are or were any in regards to the release of anything new. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

We wildly overestimate how much the general public cares about this band because we're in a bubble on here. 

That's what I was thinking before the NITLT tour. Nobody could predict it's gonna be the second most important tour ever. So why it's not gonna be the same for a new album ? At least people will have the curiosity to hear it and maybe......like it !!

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

same world, different genres. Just way more challenging for a hard rock album to take off compared to Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga albums. Just because almost all rock bands release albums and they don't really do much, doesn't mean Gn'R will do it too cause it's "the right thing to do". What's the last rock album that sold really well? Tool's new release didn't do great. It did ok.

maybe Slash's comment about some people telling him that "we don't even know what buying a record is anymore!" means that in 2020 the way people consume music is so different and mostly done via streaming music digitally, so how exactly do you release it? what's the ideal way for this specific band to do it.

Not because there is unbelievable interest in Gn'R as an artistic entity, but they might be aiming higher than how a Pearl Jam or an Ozzy album fares these days.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

That's what I was thinking before the NITLT tour. Nobody could predict it's gonna be the second most important tour ever. So why it's not gonna be the same for a new album ? At least people will have the curiosity to hear it and maybe......like it !!

People wanted to 'tick a box' there. And they did. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that during the NITL shows I saw I was surrounded by people who didn't even know old album tracks, let alone the CD songs. A large proportion of the crowd won't even have owned their (very small) back catalogue, let alone bother about hearing a new album. And all those people have now moved on to pastures new (i.e. the next old band they feel they 'should' see). 

24 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd argue that too. I see people's point of view on the opposite end (that is seems trivial at a time like this) but speaking from a personal point of view, I'm listening to more music than ever at the moment and seeking new ways to occupy my time. My attention is naturally turned to music, books and television as not only a method of escapism and distraction but also through mental necessity. 

Not that I think for one second though that the coronavirus has upset any plans, or will cause any plans to change, becasue I truly don't believe there are or were any in regards to the release of anything new. 

We made the mere suggestion of doing bonus episodes of our podcast on today's episode. The episode has been out for a couple of hours and I've already had a ton of people reach out saying they love more content asap. 

People are listening to music more than ever right now, at least in my perception. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

same world, different genres. Just way more challenging for a hard rock album to take off compared to Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga albums. Just because almost all rock bands release albums and they don't really do much, doesn't mean Gn'R will do it too cause it's "the right thing to do". What's the last rock album that sold really well? Tool's new release didn't do great. It did ok.

maybe Slash's comment about some people telling him that "we don't even know what buying a record is anymore!" means that in 2020 the way people consume music is so different and mostly done via streaming music digitally, so how exactly do you release it? what's the ideal way for this specific band to do it.

Not because there is unbelievable interest in Gn'R as an artistic entity, but they might be aiming higher than how a Pearl Jam or an Ozzy album fares these days.

Ozzy and Pearl Jam are the same genre surely? 

Whether rock albums sell or not is sort of irrelevant here anyway- that's a trend thing. 

It all boils down to one thing essentially....every single other rock band is capable of releasing music. GNR aren't. The reasons they're not capable of this remain open for debate, but blaming the industry or the public at large for preferring other genres of music in 2020 for their inability is really stretching things.... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ozzy and Pearl Jam are the same genre surely? 

Whether rock albums sell or not is sort of irrelevant here anyway- that's a trend thing. 

It all boils down to one thing essentially....every single other rock band is capable of releasing music. GNR aren't. The reasons they're not capable of this remain open for debate, but blaming the industry or the public at large for preferring other genres of music in 2020 for their inability is really stretching things.... 

it's rock. It's not pop so at least not an apples to oranges comparison. Maybe whether or not albums sell or not is relevant to Axl and the band. If it wasn't I don't think Slash would have made those comments.

it all boils down to what your target as a band is. How do you define success. If that is important for you, than releasing an album like Radiohead did with In Rainbows might not make sense to you as an artist. I think they are perfectly capable of releasing music, but maybe they want to custom tailor their plan cause they believe it's worth it to try and come up with a release plan that will yield the best results.

They're not blaming the industry. It is an undisputed fact the industry is different now so they take that into consideration cause it affects them as musicians.

Edited by Rovim

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's rock. It's not pop so at least not an apples to oranges comparison. Maybe whether or not albums sell or not is relevant to Axl and the band. If it wasn't I don't think Slash would have made those comments.

it all boils down to what your target as a band. How do you define success. If that is important for you, than releasing an album like Radiohead did with In Rainbows might not make sense to you as an artist. I think they are perfectly capable of releasing music, but maybe they want to custom tailor their plan cause they believe it's worth it to try and come up with a release plan that will yield the best results.

They're not blaming the industry. It is an undisputed fact the industry is different now so they take that into consideration cause it affects them as musicians.

But Ozzy and Pearl Jam are rock too, right? 

Are GNR really capable of releasing music? The last album was 12 years ago. They're certainly taking their time considering how the industry have changed! And I'm sure they'll take so long to figure it out that the industry will change again, as industries are prone to! 

If we strip all this down, over the years, people have given them excuses including (but certainly not limited to): Slash leaving, label problems, budget problems, band problems, label demands. Now the excuses are: Slash is back so things have changed, people don't want to hear new music, people don't buy new music, any new material is too precious to release like any mere-mortal band would, etc etc. 

It's utterly ludicrous when you think about it; the years and years and myriad reasons that have been cited. That the new one from people is "this is too big of a deal to possibly know how to release it" and "this isn't like any other band release" is absolutely hilarious really. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

But Ozzy and Pearl Jam are rock too, right? 

Are GNR really capable of releasing music? The last album was 12 years ago. They're certainly taking their time considering how the industry have changed! And I'm sure they'll take so long to figure it out that the industry will change again, as industries are prone to! 

If we strip all this down, over the years, people have given them excuses including (but certainly not limited to): Slash leaving, label problems, budget problems, band problems, label demands. Now the excuses are: Slash is back so things have changed, people don't want to hear new music, people don't buy new music, any new material is too precious to release like any mere-mortal band would, etc etc. 

It's utterly ludicrous when you think about it; the years and years and myriad reasons that have been cited. That the new one from people is "this is too big of a deal to possibly know how to release it" and "this isn't like any other band release" is absolutely hilarious really. 

yes, I meant Ozzy, PJ, and Gn'R are rock bands. They took the time to make money and it was a huge success. Not sure what you want to hear honestly?

I find it tedious repeating how no album in 12 years is ridiculous or how 1 album in 29 years is a waste of time, potential, and talent but even if Axl is very good at making excuses for why not, there are real reasons imo that were factors in why nothing has been released in 12 years.

I feel like there comes a time where you just gotta look at Axl and kinda accept you can't expect him to do things like the average prolific musician right? I mean, he's not going to change just because we are in the right here so what's left for me to do is try and understand what's the most probable scenario is and what are the hurdles when it comes to Axl/Gn'R.

and this isn't like any other band cause Axl is the frontman of this band and I believe that he's not interested in releasing a Gn'R album that maybe already could mean a lot to him just to see it fail as he defines it. At least that's my best guess.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

If they release new music now, obviously, we would all love it. In these trying times, new Guns N' Roses music would uplift our spirits. Whether you're a young fan, old fan, diehard fan, casual fan, or non-fan at all, it will catch your attention, despite everything going on right now. We know all of this. People will listen to it, people will talk about it, and yay, we're all happy with our new music to help us through this pandemic. 

But on the other hand, that is how WE, as the fans are looking at it. Everything I said above is true, it's common knowledge. But on their end...obviously, they aren't thinking the same way. How long will the hype last? News is changing literally every minute with this pandemic, affecting millions of people who have to focus on what's going on in their neighborhood. I can guarantee they want lasting power with this album, lasting power meaning hype, promotion and publicity. Due to the nature of what's going on right now...I feel like it would get swept away pretty quickly. And with this being the first album back with Slash and Duff, they don't want that. This pandemic is the main event of WrestleMania; if they release an album now, they'd find themselves somewhere in the middle of the show, which again, we know they do not want that.

Might seem like I'm making excuses for the band but in all honesty, while I, and all of us, want new music now, I can look through their lens and see why not. Now once this is all over and there is more than likely still no sign of a new album, then hey, it's same old Guns N' Roses. 

Just my two cents! 

1 hour ago, t-p-d-a said:

SOYL was recorded in 1987 with Mike K. right before the recordings of Appetite For Destruction

It's Mike C, and this version has definitely been rerecorded. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

There's no way a new GNR album is a bigger deal than a new Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga album in 2020. Neither in sales or media attention.

This idea that a new GNR album is some sort of sacred monument that couldn't possibly be released in a normal way because it's just too important and valuable etc etc is just more excuses for not doing anything. They're an old rock band with a rapidly dwindling small hardcore fanbase and an audience made up of people who couldn't give a fuck about them beyond buying a ticket to play mass karaoke for two songs and dressing up like it's 1989 for a night. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

In the rock world I think it would be a way bigger deal than Ozzy or Pearl Jam or whoever, because it's got Slash on it. Maybe not as big as if they had released it earlier when the reunion hype was still big but if they do a release there will be a lot of interest and press around it.

That said, yeah I do think that their excuses are getting to be a bit lame but it's not up to Slash exclusively to decide how and when to release it. There's more hands in the pot than just him and a lot of other factors, that's why he's said what he's been saying lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

yes, I meant Ozzy, PJ, and Gn'R are rock bands. They took the time to make money and it was a huge success. Not sure what you want to hear honestly?

I find it tedious to repeat how no album in 12 years is ridiculous or how 1 album in 29 years is a waste of time, potential, and talent but even if Axl is very good at making excuses for why not, there are real reasons imo that were factors in why nothing has been released in 12 years.

I feel like there comes a time where you just gotta look at Axl and kinda accept you can't expect him to do things like the average prolific musician right? I mean, he's not going to change just because we are in the right here so what's left for me to do is try and understand what's the most probable scenario and what are the hurdles when it comes to Axl/Gn'R.

and this isn't like any other band cause Axl is the frontman of this band and I believe that he's not interested in releasing a Gn'R album that maybe already could mean a lot to him just to see it fail as he defines it. At least that's my best guess.

I think you're answering your own question here! 

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think Axl wants to do it on his own terms, as always. I don't think they even have a product to release yet.

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Me neither. Nowhere close. 

And that's ultimately always the problem, right? GNR is never productive enough to have something ready to release anyway.