The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

And that's ultimately always the problem, right? GNR is never productive enough to have something ready to release anyway. 

what about the completed second half of Chinese though? Axl said in that interview that it's been completed for a long time. Then Slash and Duff returned and Axl pushed the reset button? then the NITL tour happened, you know the drill.

I think a main problem is that when enough time passes, Axl kinda goes back to it to make it musically relevant as a Gn'R album. I always go back to the same thought which is maybe Axl puts too much weight on what it means so he doesn't want to release just another album without it adding something that is a little different to what the band did before. (opposite approach to an AC/DC album for example)

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what about the completed second half of Chinese though? Axl said in that interview that it's been completed for a long time. Then Slash and Duff returned and Axl pushed the reset button? then the NITL happened, you know the drill.

I think a main problem is that when enough time passes, Axl kinda goes back to it to make it musically relevant as a Gn'R album. I always go back to the same thought which is maybe Axl puts too much weight on what it means so he doesn't want to release just another album without it adding something that is a little different to what the band did before. (opposite approach to an AC/DC album for example)

Here's the thing: this SHOULD be super easy for GNR, especially given today's technology. 

These guys could all record brand new songs at home OR Slash & Duff could record their parts remotely.

With the extremely high bandwidth and home recording ability available today, it would be super easy for them to complete and release songs. 

However: GN'R. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Here's the thing: this SHOULD be super easy for GNR, especially given today's technology. 

These guys could all record brand new songs at home OR Slash & Duff could record their parts remotely.

With the extremely high bandwidth and home recording ability available today, it would be super easy for them to complete and release songs. 

However: GN'R. 

yeah but while technology makes it much easier in some aspects, in others, it's a tinkerer's dream come true and more importantly maybe, the musical challenge to come up with strong enough ideas that can work together is still as hard as it's always been.

we don't even know in what frame of mind Axl is at right now cause they're not fuckin' communicating. Would have been much better if it wasn't just Slash and Duff that somewhat talked about it. If Axl at least talked about their intentions in connection to new material now, we wouldn't be in the dark but that's what normal bands do.

Why should they hurry? They have so much to lose. They know they have to come up with something amazing or else there's no point in releasing anything. Axl and Slash haven't written together in a very long time, maybe it takes some time for both of them to be comfortable with each other and find that chemistry again. Or what if that chemistry is gone? They're both different people and songwriters now. They're not doped up 20 somethings anymore. This is also the first time without Izzy. Throw in Axl's insecurity and him being a perfectionist and it explains why it can take years for them to release anything. I'm sure it's easy for them to write some mediocre songs and release it as quickly as possible, but I doubt anybody wants that. 

Edited by EvanG

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why should they hurry? They have so much to lose. They know they have to come up with something amazing or else there's no point in releasing anything. Axl and Slash haven't written together in a very long time, maybe it takes some time for both of them to be comfortable with each other and find that chemistry again. Or what if that chemistry is gone? They're both different people and songwriters now. They're not doped up 20 somethings anymore. This is also the first time without Izzy. Throw in Axl's insecurity and him being a perfectionist and it explains why it can take years for them to release anything. I'm sure it's easy for them to write some mediocre songs and release it as quickly as possible, but I doubt anybody wants that. 

I don't think ANYONE thinks GNR are going to be guilty of 'hurrying' anything! hahaha! 

They might be a lot of things, but guilty of rushing into things? Not something anyone could throw at them! 

• Like 2

Just now, allwaystired said:

I don't think ANYONE thinks GNR are going to be guilty of 'hurrying' anything! hahaha! 

They might be a lot of things, but guilty of rushing into things? Not something anyone could throw at them! 

Of course, but I meant why shouldn't they take as much time as they need? Because the fans are impatient (and rightfully so...) they should release something? It doesn't work that way...

Don't get me wrong, I want new music too, but I rather have something really good and wait another ten years than have some mediocre record that I end up listening to a few times and then never again.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm sorry but I just do not see any disadvantage in releasing new music right now. No one has to leave their house to get the product. It's delivered directly to every customer. On top of that, people are more active on social media than ever right now for obvious reasons. The album would promote itself if it was released out of nowhere right now. 

that's right

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Of course, but I meant why shouldn't they take as much time as they need? Because the fans are impatient (and rightfully so...) they should release something? It doesn't work that way...

Don't get me wrong, I want new music too, but I rather have something really good and wait another ten years than have some mediocre record that I end up listening to a few times and then never again.

You don't think GNR have had more than enough time to come up with new music? 

Just now, EvanG said:

Oh you'll probably have to wait another ten years....but there's no guarantee it will be really good! 

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You don't think GNR have had more than enough time to come up with new music? 

It's not for me or you to decide what is ''enough time''. For any other band it might take 3 months to write and record and release a record. For another band it might take ten years. For GnR? Who knows.

In my previous post I mentioned several reasons for why it might take so long for them to release another record. Maybe those reasons make sense, maybe they don't. But every band is different, whether I like it or not.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's not for me or you to decide what is ''enough time''. For any other band it might take 3 months to write and record and release a record. For another band it might take ten years. For GnR? Who knows.

In my previous post I mentioned several reasons for why it might take so long for them to release another record. Maybe those reasons make sense, maybe they don't. But every band is different, whether I like it or not.

Sorry, but that argument holds absolutely no water. This is a band who's creative figure head has had decades of little to no productivity. Even if you go from the reunion on, you're still talking about 4 years with zero productivity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It was re-MIXED not rerecorded, there's a big difference

Nah it was definitely rerecorded. I'm not going to argue about it here but if you search you'll find other posts that myself and others have made in the past about it.

Just now, RussTCB said:

Sorry, but that argument holds absolutely no water. This is a band who's creative figure head has had decades of little to no productivity. Even if you go from the reunion on, you're still talking about 4 years with zero productivity. 

So? You think I like it? I wish there was a lot more new music, but they don't owe me anything.

Maybe there are plenty of good reasons for it. Slash and Duff have been back for 4 years and they have been touring mostly. Maybe they have barely been writing together so far? And even if they've been working on a record since the first day that they got back in the band, there can be enough reasons why it takes so long that I know nothing about. And if there aren't any good reasons, where is it written that a band has to release a lot of music? Maybe they are content being a live band without releasing new music. Sucks for the fans, but it is what it is. Again, they don't owe us anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think a Guns release would cut through the noise, at least in NA where I have a sense of the climate. Online would be a cake walk (assuming they have a decent roll out). Stern and rock radio would eat it up. And the late shows love GNR.

The late shows are all, imho, struggling to find their footing in the current scenario. They are doing solo shows from at home. Ive enjoyed some of the at home versions. But it seems to me that big news outside the virus would be welcomed. Some feel good big news, especially. A GNR release rises to that standard of 'big news.'

And Guns is well situated to gain coverage on these shows...

Fallon = Huge GNR fan

Kimmel = GNR fan and Axl is a friend of the show

Conan = Friends with Slash

Trevor Noah = His audience wears GNR t-shirts at least, lol

Colbert = Im not sure (closest I can think of is that Snakepit performed on Jon Stewarts earlier tv show. Which yes is a huge stretch, lol). Luckily John Baptise, his musical director and pianist is taking prt in the show. A GNR release would be good banter between those two.

Bee = Complains about everything, but no doubt actually loves GNR. Her audience would include many Guns fans. She'd do a bit on it for sure.

Singh = 'Hates' men, 'hates' white people, 'hates' straight people = The kinda controversy that GNR needs to go right over the top. They will not be ignored by any late show host 

Edited by soon

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I think a Guns release would cut through the noise, at least in NA where I have a sense of the climate. Online would be a cake walk (assuming they have a decent roll out). Stern and rock radio would eat it up. And the late shows love GNR.

I agree with this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, soon said:

The late shows are all, imho, struggling to find their footing in the current scenario. They are doing solo shows from at home. Ive enjoyed some of the at home versions. But it seems to me that big news outside the virus would be welcomed. Some feel good big news, especially. A GNR release rises to that standard of 'big news.'

And Guns is well situated to gain coverage on these shows...

Fallon = Huge GNR fan

Kimmel = GNR fan and Axl is a friend of the show

Conan = Friends with Slash

Trevor Noah = His audience wears GNR t-shirts at least, lol

Colbert = Im not sure (closest I can think of is that Snakepit performed on Jon Stewarts earlier tv show. Which yes is a huge stretch, lol). Luckily John Baptise, his musical director and pianist is taking prt in the show. A GNR release would be good banter between those two.

Bee = Complains about everything, but no doubt actually loves GNR. Her audience would include many Guns fans. She'd do a bit on it for sure.

Singh = 'Hates' men, 'hates' white people, 'hates' straight people = The kinda controversy that GNR needs to go right over the top. They will not be ignored by any late show host 

Singh sounds like a complete loser, never heard of him/her

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

So? You think I like it? I wish there was a lot more new music, but they don't owe me anything.

Maybe there are plenty of good reasons for it. Slash and Duff have been back for 4 years and they have been touring mostly. Maybe they have barely been writing together so far? And even if they've been working on a record since the first day that they got back in the band, there can be enough reasons why it takes so long that I know nothing about. And if there aren't any good reasons, where is it written that a band has to release a lot of music? Maybe they are content being a live band without releasing new music. Sucks for the fans, but it is what it is. Again, they don't owe us anything.

Ah.....ok, I figured this was coming back to the tired old "they don't owe us anything" argument. 

I didn't want to jump the gun and say that first, but I figured that's where this was heading. 

As a reminder: it's not the fans who have continually promised new material is coming. It's Axl and every other member of GN'R who's done that. 

So if the "they don't owe us anything" argument is going to hold any water, then every member of the band needs to stop telling us music is coming. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

Singh sounds like a complete loser, never heard of him/her

Yeah, Lily Singh. She's one of the top english-speaking Youtubers of all time. Also goes by Superwomen on her one main channel. Her main channels were for young people. Im likely more familiar with her as we are both from the same general area in Canada.

She got a late night show in 2019. Her subject matter made a lot more sense on YT, where its for a targeted audience. I was really surprised when she didnt pivot a bit for a wider audience. If my description of her is likely a bit reductive, its only because her commentary is also reductive. Id hoped for a lot better from her late show. She's fun and smart. I hope she'll still turn it around.

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ah.....ok, I figured this was coming back to the tired old "they don't owe us anything" argument. 

I didn't want to jump the gun and say that first, but I figured that's where this was heading. 

As a reminder: it's not the fans who have continually promised new material is coming. It's Axl and every other member of GN'R who's done that. 

So if the "they don't owe us anything" argument is going to hold any water, then every member of the band needs to stop telling us music is coming. 

Ive always hated that "they dont owe us anything" argument too.  NO BAND owes us anything, but all other bands write and release music.  Its not asking for anything that any other band does. And to your point, stop talking about new music if you dont want to release any

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 1

I’m actually hearing from my industry friends that music streaming has been down. No one is listening. Their online activity is mainly consumed by the news and tv streaming 

Also Rough Trade in NYC is no longer shipping music. 

Nothing of note will be released for the foreseeable future guys 

Edited by guitarpatch

1 minute ago, soon said:

Yeah, Lily Singh. She's one of the top english-speaking Youtubers of all time. Also goes by Superwomen on her one main channel. Her main channels were for young people. Im likely more familiar with her as we are both from the same general area in Canada.

She got a late night show in 2019. Her subject matter made a lot more sense on YT, where its for a targeted audience. I was really surprised when she didnt pivot a bit for a wider audience. If my description of her is likely a bit reductive, its only because her commentary is also reductive. Id hoped for a lot better from her late show. She's fun and smart. I hope she'll still turn it around.

not bigger than Logan Paul :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

Ive always hated that "they dont owe us anything" argument too.  NO BAND owes us anything, but all other bands write and release music.  Its not asking for anything that any other band does. And to your point, stop talking about new music if you dont want to release any

Exactly. "they don't owe us anything" has always been the weakest argument, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

I’m actually hearing from my industry friends that music streaming has been down. No one is listening. Their online activity is mainly consumed by the news and tv streaming 

Then they must be forging the numbers that services like Spotify are listening.