The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, registra said:

This is wrong, quite frankly. I'm not justifying excuses, but the idea that a new GNR album will not be a big deal is wrong.

Taylor Swift's Fearless album in 2010 was at number 1 on Billboard for 11 weeks(non consecutively, couldn't find the weeks in a row stats). 1989 at the end of 2014 was number 1 on Billboard for 10 weeks(once again, non consecutively). Taylor's most recent album, Lover(which based on what I've read was the best selling album in the US in 2019, correct me if I'm wrong) was knocked off the number one spot after a week by Tool's first album in 13 years, Fear Inoculum. Honestly, I haven't listened to Tool and hadn't heard of them before this news came out but if Tool can beat out Taylor Swift I'm sure the fist GNR release with Slash and Axl in 30+ years can.

November Rain is also the first video made before YouTube's creation to reach 1 billion views (end of 2018), and the first video before the 2000's to reach that many views. SCOM is the first video from the 1980's to reach 1 billion views at the end of 2019(and I believe the third music video released before 2000 to get there, behind November Rain first and Bohemian Rhapsbody second), beating out all Michael Jackson video's from the 80's by a long shot.. Billie Jean, his most viewed, has 750 million views as of today. I can't exactly remember where I read it, but I recall reading that GNR had the largest band presence on YouTube, it said South America was helping GNR achieve this where it was hugely popular. 

And no insult meant, but I think your taking a kind of superior attitude by presuming that there isn't GNR fans in the general public and that people are just getting tickets for two songs(would seem strange to have one of the highest grossing tours of all time based on two songs). Sure we're in a bubble here, but there's plenty of hardcore GNR fans out there that have no interest/knowledge in this message board. Clearly based on Youtube views alone the general public cares. And I've met a good few at the two shows I've been at, and have plenty of friends people interested in GNR beyond that. The new album, if it ever happens will absolutely be a big deal 

I don't think a couple of 'wedding party classic' songs getting loads of youtube views mea s anything really. I'm sure the likes of Huey Lewis and the News or Frankie Goes To Hollywood have masses of views for their big hits....but it really means very little. 

I see your points but it really is mad to think the likes of GNR are a bigger deal than today's pop stars. They really are, to most people, a retro nostalgia act....I'm really not saying any of this to be superior, just pointing out that us on these forums have a natural tendency to think they're a bigger deal than they are. That's only natural. I'm sure people posting on any bands forum are in a similar position. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

The entire history of this band tells us no music is coming anytime soon. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The US tour dates are in serious jeopardy of being cancelled/postponed. Even if they had plans, this situation changes things 

New plan needed then. Do a mini gig live stream of 6 songs and finish with a new song or do a snippet of a song like Madagascar at MTV Awards. At the end the new album cover can appear with release date. 

What are GNR paying their management team to do? I can do it for free

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Again, there can be reasons for it that you and I know nothing about. I don't think it's fair to judge when we simply don't know anything about it.

Why are they a band then? A band that can't play new music? That would be odd. 

I think it's perfectly fair to judge and be disappointed as a fan

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't think a couple of 'wedding party classic' songs getting loads of youtube views mea s anything really. I'm sure the likes of Huey Lewis and the News or Frankie Goes To Hollywood have masses of views for their big hits....but it really means very little. 

I see your points but it really is mad to think the likes of GNR are a bigger deal than today's pop stars. They really are, to most people, a retro nostalgia act....I'm really not saying any of this to be superior, just pointing out that us on these forums have a natural tendency to think they're a bigger deal than they are. That's only natural. I'm sure people posting on any bands forum are in a similar position. 

Relax, I wanna a new drug.

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. "they don't owe us anything" has always been the weakest argument, IMO. 

And that is not even true.

They wouldn’t be so rich, famous and all without us. Without us, fans, they would end up being nothing. Of course, their music is great, but there are a lot of talended bands with great music that don’t get attention.

Edited by sl4yer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

And that is not even true.

They wouldn’t be so rich, famous and all without us. Without us, fans, they would end up being nothing. Of course, their music is great, but there are a lot of talended bands with great music that don’t get attention.

I think the "they don't owe us anything" still applies with what you said though.  Not that I am happy they aren't releasing anything, however the only thing we as fans/customers are truly owed is the physical or digital copy of the album we trade money for during a transaction, or a show from a ticket purchase transaction, etc.  

GNR unfortunately is allowed to be as unproductive as they want to be, even if we don't like it - I know I don't but what can you do

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The entire history of this band tells us no music is coming anytime soon. 

I don't think people act in such a predefined patterns. By that standard, the band's history tells us that they could also release two albums worth of music at the same time. Or they could release nothing but a one-off like Oh My God already.

18 minutes ago, registra said:

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is really saying GNR is as relevant as any current pop artist like Swift or Gaga. But they are still relevant among rock listeners. 

Waiting for a perfect time to release an album shouldn't even be a thing with this band.

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think the "they don't owe us anything" still applies with what you said though.  Not that I am happy they aren't releasing anything, however the only thing we as fans/customers are truly owed is the physical or digital copy of the album we trade money for during a transaction, or a show from a ticket purchase transaction, etc.  

GNR unfortunately is allowed to be as unproductive as they want to be, even if we don't like it - I know I don't but what can you do

Agree. We already paid for what we got, it's not like we're paying a subscription fee in the Nightrain. 

But they should be more open about their work and for sure be more respectful with the hardcore fanbase. At the end of the day, it's just music. If there's nobody to hear it, it's worthless. If they are fine with that, just say it and people will move on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, registra said:

Oh don't get me wrong here- I do absolutely think there is demand for a new GNR album withing a certain demographic. The point I was trying to make really is that the notion that this is some sort of monumental album that needed to be handled in some mysterious and unique manner isn't accurate as in most people's eyes it really wouldn't be that special. 

1 hour ago, registra said:

So if GnR released an album their streaming numbers would go way up, both for the new record and their old material.

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

So if GnR released an album their streaming numbers would go way up, both for the new record and their old material.

Presumably so, unless the new record is absolute shite, which could very well be the case.

6 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Not just from labels but also indie artists.

A lot of people listen when they commute, while they work or when they are outside doing other activities. The way people listen is mainly background noise. When they are at home their focus is most likely elsewhere 

This is purely anecdotal to say that. A lot of my coworkers listen to music while working. I listen to music at home more than I watch TV. While chillin' and drinking, while cleaning, while working out, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

Metallica announced they're going to stream a concert on their YouTube and Facebook channel tonight, and will be doing it every Monday night moving forward. Must be nice. 

Metallica just announced they cancelled SA tour, them was play in Argentina in april 18. Maybe for this reason them will to occupy in doing streaming.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think I understand what Slash said regarding the release. It's like: "are we gonna release a full album now or just drop singles all year?". I've been saying this for some time now, I think Hard School being the only new song in the setlist tells a lot more than people give credit for. 

HardSkool being the only new song on the setlist tells me that what we’ll most likely get for now (if anything) is just another compilation of some kind, with that song as a bonus track.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

Metallica announced they're going to stream a concert on their YouTube and Facebook channel tonight, and will be doing it every Monday night moving forward. Must be nice. 

GN'R could easily do the same. They'd have to give a remote shit about their fans first though, so probably not going to happen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 19/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, gavgnr said:

I’d love it if some fucker just dropped in here with a link for the 2010 album. The band ain’t interested in releasing shit. We need someone with some big fat hairy balls and 3 pound of cock to come and save us from our frustration 🤣

I'm, here alas I have no link. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

GN'R could easily do the same. They'd have to give a remote shit about their fans first though, so probably not going to happen.

Yup, as I said to my bro watching Metallica "This is Metallica saying, 'hey other bands this is how you handle your fans during the corona virus' pros" Metallica are the benchmark that other bands try to compete... but very few touch them in terms of content and access.

GNR could do many things, they could release the pro shot concerts recorded, they could put an app out with streamable concerts, so many options... but they won't do a thing. They MIGHT release a new album, but I really, really don't see that coming during all this.

Fernando must be relieved though, now he can say "I was telling the truth, but the corona stopped plans from going ahead". 

Long live Metallica! a band I'll pay to see as many more times as I can anywhere, anytime and always, always get my monies worth! Looking forward to the next Metallica Monday!!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Did Metallica stream an old concert or did they play live on YouTube?

Lucky fucking fans of them. Meanwhile I dug up a performance of Yesterdays from 1991 with Izzy doing backup vocals while Axl rips his throat. Sons of bitches got nothing for us in this lockdown.