The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

What's the difference in the disc 4 version that makes you say that? Is it 5.1 too?

Oh I just wanted to make sure I was listening to the right version for comparison. I've got the discs out now, so just gave them a spin. 

• Like 1

N

13 hours ago, Ratam said:

If it serve of consolation about this thread, Lady Gaga postpone new album due to Covid-19.

in these times a lot of people wouldn't have cared.. we are managing to survive and rearrange our lives.

no one can go out to buy physical copies. amazon is not shipping not-essential goods, she couldn't have done any promotion..

it would have been a commercial suicide.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

N

in these times a lot of people wouldn't have cared.. we are managing to survive and rearrange our lives.

no one can go out to buy physical copies. amazon is not shipping not-essential goods, she couldn't have done any promotion..

But then there's the fact that the product is delivered for free to the device that literally every person is holding right in their hands. 

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

But then there's the fact that the product is delivered for free to the device that literally every person is holding right in their hands. 

There’s ancillary issues with streaming at the moment regardless of who listens. Any platform that has a free ad based model is losing revenue. Advertisers aren’t spending at the same rate because they are shut down or consumers are only spending on necessities. Therefore the pot that is distributed in the rev share model is now smaller 

Most labels are pulling back. Labels rely on that rev stream and artists rely on the promotional vehicle to fuel other efforts. If there’s no touring on the horizon and less revenue in the pot, what should they do? Release it and make less? Everyone wants to capitalize on this album. The situation for that to happen just might not be there for either party At the moment. That can be said for a lot of artists currently 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

N

Indeed, it is the reason about my post. Whatever release now an album is to be doomed to failure.

The pleople have now they mind most in this outbreak, and how survive all this chaos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

There’s ancillary issues with streaming at the moment regardless of who listens. Any platform that has a free ad based model is losing revenue. Advertisers aren’t spending at the same rate because they are shut down or consumers are only spending on necessities. Therefore the pot that is distributed in the rev share model is now smaller 

Most labels are pulling back. Labels rely on that rev stream and artists rely on the promotional vehicle to fuel other efforts. If there’s no touring on the horizon and less revenue in the pot, what should they do? Release it and make less? Everyone wants to capitalize on this album. The situation for that to happen just might not be there for either party At the moment. That can be said for a lot of artists currently 

Who's "a lot of artists"? Most music releases for last Friday and this Friday have gone ahead. The numbers shown on the Spotify app would suggest people are listening the same amount they were before. 

Unless Spotify is reporting false numbers or there's something I'm missing, I don't see what the problem is. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Who's "a lot of artists"? Most music releases for last Friday and this Friday have gone ahead. The numbers shown on the Spotify app would suggest people are listening the same amount they were before. 

Unless Spotify is reporting false numbers or there's something I'm missing, I don't see what the problem is. 

If Spotify doesn’t get ad revenue, it doesn’t matter how many listens are there. There’s less to pay out

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The problem is as it has always been - that there is no new GNR album, just an ever revolving door of available reasons as to why it's everything's fault apart from the band. 

Just now, guitarpatch said:

If Spotify doesn’t get ad revenue, it doesn’t matter how many listens are there. There’s less to pay out

Not true. Spotify don't pay artists based on a nice little divide of the ad revenue. They pay artists a pittance at a set rate per listen. They keep the ad revenue themselves, as a further 'fuck you' to musicians. 

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

What about the massive amount of listeners who pay for Spotify every month and don't hear ads to begin with? 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

The problem is as it has always been - that there is no new GNR album, just an ever revolving door of available reasons as to why it's everything's fault apart from the band. 

That's what it boils down to, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

What about the massive amount of listeners who pay for Spotify every month and don't hear ads to begin with? 

That's what it boils down to, IMO. 

Oh absolutely. 

I'd have been interested to see what people would have said if this year had sailed by normally and nothing had happened again. I think they'd have played the "no point in releasing new music now anyway" card.

Or maybe the "need to wait until the Christmas market" (wasn't that always said about 'plans changed' live album/DVD?) followed by "need to do it in the summer to coincide with a big tour" angles when that didn't happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, allwaystired said:

Oh absolutely. 

I'd have been interested to see what people would have said if this year had sailed by normally and nothing had happened again. I think they'd have played the "no point in releasing new music now anyway" card.

Or maybe the "need to wait until the Christmas market" (wasn't that always said about 'plans changed' live album/DVD?) followed by "need to do it in the summer to coincide with a big tour" angles when that didn't happen. 

Probably those things you mentioned, or there's always the tried and true "plans changed". 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Probably those things you mentioned, or there's always the tried and true "plans changed". 

Those were my exact thoughts some days ago when I was watching the Vive Latino streaming as I heard the first G chord of Paradise City lmao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What direction should any potential release go in, whether it's old material or new material?

Should it be straight forward like AFD, a mix of everything like UYI - CD, Experimental like the leaks or something else?

I can see some travels getting released by next year or a live release, an album I doubt.

If they do I think they should work on a smart marketing campaign with professionals, there's a lot of money to be made.

I don't think the band had plans to release something and postponed - aka "plans change". The only thing that clearly changed was the tour plans, and probably the live debut of a new song. This is reasonable evidence.

However, I am speculating about the possibility to release something because they most likely would have something finished. And because the current status of the industry wouldn't be as bad as some people say here (I've seen more than once people talking about "physical album" as if this would really be a relevant revenue stream). I see no harm in talking about that. It's 128 pages of nothing, let's actually make it interesting somehow. Better than complaining.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Worldwide economy is going to be terrible after the virus. Gn'R missed a huge chance of making huge sales with a new album. They will never have an opportunity like this ever again

I agree. Not only with the album. It's possible that the general world economy will have a huge impact in tickets sale in the future when all of this is over (hopefully). 

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with the "no new album" theory, but if that's true what exactly was Slash working on in Axl's house last year, or a couple of weeks ago when he said he was working on "Guns" stuff in the studio?

We may never know, but my guess is that he was working on new songs in some form or another.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

Worldwide economy is going to be terrible after the virus. Gn'R missed a huge chance of making huge sales with a new album. They will never have an opportunity like this ever again

I agree, they really should've gotten something out in 2018 or 2019.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

We may never know, but my guess is that he was working on new songs in some form or another.

I agree, they really should've gotten something out in 2018 or 2019.

Yeah Xmas 2019 would’ve made the most sense since they starting touring again around that point and they coulda said something in the marketing like “celebrate the end of the decade with the first new album from Axl/Slash/Duff since 1993.”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah Xmas 2019 would’ve made the most sense since they starting touring again around that point and they coulda said something in the marketing like “celebrate the end of the decade with the first new album from Axl/Slash/Duff since 1993.”

Maybe Axl had inside info about the coronavirus outbreak and knew that at least the beginning of the tour would be postponed? After all, he has a great relationship with the Chinese government! :-)

• Haha 3

Out of boredom, I decided to try to count the number of songs this band has officially released:

AFD=12, Lies=7, UYI=29, TSI=13, Live Era=1, End of Days=1, GH=1, ChiDem=14, AFDem=4 (Motivation, Another Brick in the Wall, Objectify, and The Seeker), and Locked N Loaded=7 (SOYL, Rosie, Heartbreak Hotel, Jumpin Jack, The Plague, New World Tune, and Aint Goin Down).

So 89 songs (26 of which are covers).

Compare that to RHCP (which officially formed just a couple of years earlier), who have around 230 officially-released songs (give or take a few).

This is why a new album would be nice. But if it doesn’t happen, then so be it.

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Out of boredom, I decided to try to count the number of songs this band has officially released:

AFD=12, Lies=7, UYI=29, TSI=13, Live Era=1, End of Days=1, GH=1, ChiDem=14, AFDem=4 (Motivation, Another Brick in the Wall, Objectify, and The Seeker), and Locked N Loaded=7 (SOYL, Rosie, Heartbreak Hotel, Jumpin Jack, The Plague, New World Tune, and Aint Goin Down).

So 89 songs (26 of which are covers).

Compare that to RHCP (which officially formed just a couple of years earlier), who have around 230 officially-released songs (give or take a few).

This is why a new album would be nice. But if it doesn’t happen, then so be it.

I agree to a point, but a large amount of post 2000 RHCP is utter garbage!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I agree to a point, but a large amount of post 2000 RHCP is utter garbage!!

If anything I would say it’s their early 80s stuff (pre-Frusciante) and mid 90s stuff (Navarro era) that is “utter garbage,” but nonetheless, the point still stands that sometimes quantity doesn’t equal quality. In that regard, I agree with you.