The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

45 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

A Greatest Hits album featuring a previously unreleased song is a bit odd, unless they really anticipated it being a real winner. While I enjoy Atlas, it's not exactly a catchy tune, or "single" worthy in my opinion. Not like Better or Hardschool. 

Tom Petty is the only artist I can think of who had a massive hit with a previously unreleased song that was included on a Greatest Hits. 

• Like 1

U2s Electric Storm was a part of their 90s Gh album. It was a fairly huge hit at the time.

You Know You're Right was also featured (actually first track) on Nirvana's GH album.

Edited by Coma16
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not very common, but off the top of my head...

I love those 3, particularly the first and last. But they're not really big hits, are they? Not as big as Mary Jane's Last Dance, at least? 

(Sorry, I'm totally detailing the thread with this reply) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Tom Petty is the only artist I can think of who had a massive hit with a previously unreleased song that was included on a Greatest Hits. 

I think Lenny Kravitz had a pretty big hit with Again which is listed as previously unreleased on his greatest hits. But no, there aren't many. 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I love those 3, particularly the first and last. But they're not really big hits, are they? Not as big as Mary Jane's Last Dance, at least? 

(Sorry, I'm totally detailing the thread with this reply) 

I don't know how they'd compare to Mary Jane's Last Dance, but they're pretty big... Primal Scream wasn't as big as the Dr Feelgood hits but it's still one of their 'must play' songs at shows. That Eminem song has over 700 million views. You Know You're Right was a #1 hit, too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, username said:

I think Lenny Kravitz had a pretty big hit with Again which is listed as previously unreleased on his greatest hits. But no, there aren't many. 

Yes, I think it was one of the biggest songs that year. Tupac had a hit with “Changes” on his GH too. It was a posthumous release though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Creed said:

Great Song, but it was not a hit. MJ's last album had also good stuff, but only the Timberlake single was successful.

It seems like...once you're out, its hard to get a new super hit. 

Basically time, fashion and public taste move on. You have your moment as a musician when everything aligns. 

Most musicians accept that and just try not to move forwards producing music they still believe in I guess.....but they'll never be as 'hot' again. 

13 hours ago, Creed said:

Great Song, but it was not a hit. MJ's last album had also good stuff, but only the Timberlake single was successful.

Not sure what if "hit" is the right word, but I think Free As A Bird was actually quite successful for what it was (a reworked demo from a tape sourced track):

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/free-as-a-bird/#Chart_success

In the UK, the single sold 120,000 copies in its first week, entering the UK Singles Chart at number two. It remained in the charts for eight weeks, but was kept off the top spot by Michael Jackson’s Earth Song.

In the US, Free As A Bird reached number six on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming The Beatles’ 34th Top 10 single in America. 

Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie discusses why he keeps livestreaming performances from his home during the pandemic:

"It's given me a purpose."
"We have a moral obligation to pitch in,” he says of his charity broadcasts. “There’s no excuse not to."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ben-gibbard-coronavirus-livestreams-976029/

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

On 09/04/2020 at 4:32 AM, allwaystired said:

I'd still go for them putting out another Greatest Hits with a re-recorded Hardschool on, then touring the hell out of that for the next 10 years. 

If they release anything at all that is. 

I thought if the band wanted to walk away from UMG and create their own label, they would do another greatest hit with maybe a new song or just a cover song and that wraps up the UMG contract. Any new music would then be released on their new label.

On 09/04/2020 at 8:09 AM, allwaystired said:

Basically time, fashion and public taste move on. You have your moment as a musician when everything aligns. 

Most musicians accept that and just try not to move forwards producing music they still believe in I guess.....but they'll never be as 'hot' again. 

Which might be the reason why gnr minus axl, wanted to tour straight away after recording illusions. Their last product was lies in 89, and last show was farm aid. 12 months can be an eternity if your not in the public eye and i think more slash was concerned that gnr was no longer hot in the fans and public eye.

On 08/04/2020 at 8:34 PM, Coma16 said:

U2s Electric Storm was a part of their 90s Gh album. It was a fairly huge hit at the time.

You Know You're Right was also featured (actually first track) on Nirvana's GH album.

U2 also had a big hit with Sweetest Thing which was packaged with their best of 80s work (I think) and a former b side.

1 hour ago, Use Your Delusion 1 said:

U2 also had a big hit with Sweetest Thing which was packaged with their best of 80s work (I think) and a former b side.

Yeah and their 2006 had two new songs on it. One of them was good, but the other one sucked (the one with green day).

RHCP’s GH album also had two new songs on it that were big hits at the time and have since become fan favorites.

And then there’s the occasional “b-side gets repurposed into lead single,” like the example you mentioned, along with others like RHCP’s Soul To Squeeze, Pearl Jam’s Yellow Ledbetter, etc.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah and their 2006 had two new songs on it. One of them was good, but the other one sucked (the one with green day).

RHCP’s GH album also had two new songs on it that were big hits at the time and have since become fan favorites.

And then there’s the occasional “b-side gets repurposed into lead single,” like the example you mentioned, along with others like RHCP’s Soul To Squeeze, Pearl Jam’s Yellow Ledbetter, etc.

Window in the Skies, reached top 5 in the UK I remember. U2 are actually quite a gold mine or the odd song that isn't on a major album. Miss Sarajevo, Ordinary Love also spring to mind, plus Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me (really good song!) from the mid 90s.

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1
  • Like 1

Just now, jackparker123 said:

That might be the last truly great U2 song.

It certainly has their classic sound. I have to be honest, I'm a big fan of U2 but really didn't like their more polished post 2000 work. I think I might be in the minority though and say No Line on the Horizon is really haphazard but there are 4-5 solid songs on there, Magnificent is great 'arena rock' U2. Songs of Innocence was probably more consistent but had less stand out tracks. 

• Like 1