The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yep even during a virus, because according to duff people cant get to the record store :facepalm:

You can't. At least in most of europe most stores are closed. Record stores included. Not that are much of them left...

• Like 2

Just when Hardskool was rehearsed and put on the setlist in Mexico, which makes you think it would’ve probably been played at South America, then this COVID19 shit happened. Fuck this reality lmao it seems like life just don’t want us to win with this band :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I still buy CDs, i cant speak for everyone but i think those over 40 still do. I hate downloaded music because its to compressed, plus i still like to look through a booklet on CDs and the credits, read the lyrics, photos etc. An extra bonus if said band also add a DVD with tge CD release. Just like i did with AFD, lies, and illusions when i bought them on cassettes in my teens. Maybe its just me but i think gen xers still buy CDs.

Me too...and while physical sales are declining, they're still far higher than a lot of people would have you believe, and it's still hugely profitable to produce physical copies. Meet any band on a merchandise stall and they'll tell you it's far better for them as a band if you buy a CD or vinyl. There's a really interesting article about it all here. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

I don't really think it's a debate when it comes to GNR anyway- physical music is a fact of life for virtually all releases, even from bands a fraction of GNR's size. The notion of them not releasing physically is ludicrous, as is the suggestion that the discussion around whether to do so is in any way holding back any release. 

If an album release was in any way happening any time soon, it would be happening. As it is for other bands. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

Honestly, I would not mind an acoustic EP with Axl singing entirely clean. Chuck in Madagascar, a shortened TIL, Sorry, Estranged, SCOM if you HAVE to, alt Don't Cry, and 14 Years ft. Izzy. Bam, overcharge us 35 bucks for it (and split the loot equally) on iTunes and you've made me happy.

You're easy to please. I'd rather not have anything at all. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NicoGNR5 said:

Just when Hardskool was rehearsed and put on the setlist in Mexico, which makes you think it would’ve probably been played at South America, then this COVID19 shit happened. Fuck this reality lmao it seems like life just don’t want us to win with this band :lol:

Hardskool & Oh my God have been on many setlists listed as Alternate. They never played it, don't believe this leg would have been any different. 

19 minutes ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

Hardskool & Oh my God have been on many setlists listed as Alternate. They never played it, don't believe this leg would have been any different. 

I think Hardschool might, maybe, have happened at a gig or two. I'm convinced Oh My God was only on there as some sort of 'joke'. 

9 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I still buy CDs, i cant speak for everyone but i think those over 40 still do. I hate downloaded music because its to compressed, plus i still like to look through a booklet on CDs and the credits, read the lyrics, photos etc. An extra bonus if said band also add a DVD with tge CD release. Just like i did with AFD, lies, and illusions when i bought them on cassettes in my teens. Maybe its just me but i think gen xers still buy CDs.

Good man, so do I. 

I can't see why a music fan wouldn't buy physical music. It's £10 for a lifetime of music. You could get a shit burger or 2 bad pints for that and no one would even complain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicoGNR5 said:

I know right, but as someone that has followed this band since the 1980's, Axl has been a shit magnet and no-end of crap has followed this band for decades. 

I wish though they were a bit more resilient, and dedicated, and just went "fuck it, lets release Hardschool on itunes and thank our fans for all their support". Surely that can't be that hard to do ?  Even in a once in a lifetime pandemic twighlight zone that we find ourselves in...

1 hour ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

You're easy to please. I'd rather not have anything at all. 

Me too, its either new music or shove that old music up your arse. 

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I doubt if there's any real profit for any physical sale. Older fanbase or not, people just don't buy discs anymore. This is not even remotely relevant for any release plan. At best, could be a marketing gimmick.

Not really true. 

While streaming is by and large the de facto way people get their music in certain countries there are still huge physical numbers sold every year around the world.

And as already established GNR's older fanbase will buy physical copies at a much higher rate (be they CD or Vinyl). There's a reason that companies still release these formats, and it's not because they don't make any money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Me too...and while physical sales are declining, they're still far higher than a lot of people would have you believe, and it's still hugely profitable to produce physical copies. Meet any band on a merchandise stall and they'll tell you it's far better for them as a band if you buy a CD or vinyl. There's a really interesting article about it all here. 

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-18-january-2020/

I don't really think it's a debate when it comes to GNR anyway- physical music is a fact of life for virtually all releases, even from bands a fraction of GNR's size. The notion of them not releasing physically is ludicrous, as is the suggestion that the discussion around whether to do so is in any way holding back any release. 

If an album release was in any way happening any time soon, it would be happening. As it is for other bands. 

I don't entirely agree with this notion that it wouldn't prevent the album rollout(assuming one existed). 

Many artists have delayed album releases in order to ensure they have more success. The artists releasing stuff at the moment are mostly younger acts who's physical vs streaming numbers are minuscule, like Dua Lipa.

With an older legacy act like GNR it makes little sense to put out the first album since CD (and for many fans the only real album since 1993) when thy are unable to properly promote it (talk shows, radio slots etc). They have to make sure this album does well (at least top 10 for a week on many charts).

Now I'm not sure that them playing Hardskool was confirmation a new album was coming, but there was probably a single release planned to go alongside it.

What we don't see is the behind the scenes conflict with the label. For the label no modern record will compete with releasing a "greatest hits part II", perhaps with a new single attached (As I suspect was maybe the idea).

So for them to greenlight a rollout to the level Axl wants will be a very tricky sell (and remember the tantrum he threw when CD was released, he sunk the records commercial ability by just disappearing) . For the label CD is still a massive financial sink but I  wouldn't be surprised if Axl want's to label it as Chinese Democracy 2. Which would be marketing suicide for the most part, who wants a ride on the Titanic 2?

16 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

So for them to greenlight a rollout to the level Axl wants will be a very tricky sell (and remember the tantrum he threw when CD was released, he sunk the records commercial ability by just disappearing) . For the label CD is still a massive financial sink but I  wouldn't be surprised if Axl want's to label it as Chinese Democracy 2. Which would be marketing suicide for the most part, who wants a ride on the Titanic 2?

While CD didn't do as well as many thought or hoped, wasn't it still a commercial success? It went platinum at least once. It also generally received positive reviews by critics. Even The Killers were assholes about it topping their album of the same year.  It blew away even Kanye's album in the torrents, but not sales. Haha

I mean regardless of the material quality, it has GN'R's name on it so it's going to do pretty good regardless. Like a Disney Star Wars film. They always make money no matter how bad they are.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

While CD didn't do as well as many thought or hoped, wasn't it still a commercial success? It went platinum at least once. It also generally received positive reviews by critics. Even The Killers were assholes about it topping their album of the same year.  It blew away even Kanye's album in the torrents, but not sales. Haha

I mean regardless of the material quality, it has GN'R's name on it so it's going to do pretty good regardless. Like a Disney Star Wars film. They always make money no matter how bad they are.

No. More like Epic failure in the ranks of Zwan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

If it'd had a normal development time then yeah it'd have done ok (with tempered expectations) .

But the sheer cost of the record was so huge that Universal jumped on a best buy deal that no doubt soured relations between those two corporations.

This gives a super brief overview.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/why-black-ice-beat-chinese-democracy-the-tale-of-wal-mart-vs-best-buy-100108/

Chinese showed there was appetite for more GNR, and the huge cost of the album was meant to be offset by getting up to 5 records out of the sessions. Yet it's 2020 and still no follow up.

When the management changed and saw the scale of money wasted on CD I think the label cracked down hard on what GNR were allowed to do (i.e. you can only tour, no we're not releasing your records) at least until the reunion.

5 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

No. More like Epic failure in the ranks of Zwan.

Eh I wouldn't really say it was that scale.

It did 'fine', the only problem is when you've spent over 13 million dollars 'fine' just isn't good enough.

The promotion really sunk the album (a lot of that can be blamed on Axl going in a huff and taking his toys home).

But it has had a bit of a revival since the reunion.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8490842/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-album-legacy

Where did anyone say that a new album wouldn't/shouldn't have a physical release? 

I can speak for myself: I'm just saying that coronavirus gets in the way for a physical release, but the band could very well release on streaming platforms first and leave the physical copy for later when/if things go back to normal.

9 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah. So I'll be 40 years old in September. Maybe I'll start to buy physical CDs again then. 

The last CD I bought was Chinese Democracy, no joke. And I still have it, but even back then, I didn't use it that much. Now I don't even have a CD player besides my PS4. I just like the convenience of being able to listen to music anywhere. Although this is not currently a problem with the covid-19, lol

And not every downloaded music is compressed. You can buy losless versions somewhere (I wouldn't recommend Amazon, tho, as its bitrate seems lower than the high-quality stream on Spotify). I get that you like the booklet, but if you have a high quality pair of speakers and/or headphones, you can enjoy the music just as much with digital only format. Well, in fact you are already listening to digital music, the difference is that it's "printed" on a physical media. 

I understand the preservation side. Like downloadable games that vanishes from the PSN and Xbox Live, some music can just not be in a streaming platform in the next day. But downloadable albums (like iTunes) are still a thing and broadly accessible.

33 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Not really true. 

While streaming is by and large the de facto way people get their music in certain countries there are still huge physical numbers sold every year around the world.

And as already established GNR's older fanbase will buy physical copies at a much higher rate (be they CD or Vinyl). There's a reason that companies still release these formats, and it's not because they don't make any money. 

Not sure about "huge physical numbers". Of course they make money, it's just not as important. 

Tried to back up the claims, but the only industry stats I saw are from RIAA in mid-2019. Back then, streaming was 80% of total global revenues. Digital downloaded were 10%, and physical were 10%. Granted, that's still a lot, but don't tell me this is a center piece of any release strategy. https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mid-Year-2019-RIAA-Music-Revenues-Report.pdf

Anyways, you guys are missing a point. GNR fanbase doesn't really matters. We're like, thousand of people. Even between us, not everybody would buy the physical copy. And if this is really important to the band (which actually, I think it is), they could very well re-release the album later with the proper physical shipments in place. Maybe with an extra track or the DVD. 

The thing is that this is NOT a reasonable reason to not release an album today.

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure about "huge physical numbers". Of course they make money, it's just not as important. 

Tried to back up the claims, but the only industry stats I saw are from RIAA in mid-2019. Back then, streaming was 80% of total global revenues. Digital downloaded were 10%, and physical were 10%. Granted, that's still a lot, but don't tell me this is a center piece of any release strategy. https://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mid-Year-2019-RIAA-Music-Revenues-Report.pdf

Anyways, you guys are missing a point. GNR fanbase doesn't really matters. We're like, thousand of people. Even between us, not everybody would buy the physical copy. And if this is really important to the band (which actually, I think it is), they could very well re-release the album later with the proper physical shipments in place. Maybe with an extra track or the DVD. 

The thing is that this is NOT a reasonable reason to not release an album today.

Nah again you underestimate the sales of physical media.

The RIAA's report fom last year only covers the US. Which while they are a large market are far from the whole story in terms of sales. And on top of that you have to account for younger listeners (almost all streaming/vinyl) and older listeners (much more likely to buy additional formats).

And no one is arguing the hardcore fans matter, that GNR will generate more money from physical sales is just a simple observations based on the demographics they attract.

It's absolutely the right move to delay an album release right now (assuming they had one ready). You only get one chance to release an album and to release one now just doesn't make sense.

You'd choke the initial sales week and in the process you'd subvert the physical sales.

Now what they could do would be announce a new album and open pre-orders, or release a single online and announce greatest hits part 2.

8 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Nah again you underestimate the sales of physical media.

The RIAA's report fom last year only covers the US. Which while they are a large market are far from the whole story in terms of sales. And on top of that you have to account for younger listeners (almost all streaming/vinyl) and older listeners (much more likely to buy additional formats).

And no one is arguing the hardcore fans matter, that GNR will generate more money from physical sales is just a simple observations based on the demographics they attract.

It's absolutely the right move to delay an album release right now (assuming they had one ready). You only get one chance to release an album and to release one now just doesn't make sense.

You'd choke the initial sales week and in the process you'd subvert the physical sales.

Now what they could do would be announce a new album and open pre-orders, or release a single online and announce greatest hits part 2.

Pretty much. It’s also UMG’s decision to move fwd as well. It’s their revenue they are trying to recoup. I would think they would want to capitalize fully on a Axl/Slash release. Disregarding physical sales won’t happen for an act that has a wide range of demographics and buying traits 

• Like 1