The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

6 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

While amazon and online stores make up a decent chunk of physical sales they are not the only option. Add in logistical issues caused by a pandemic and you can see why this would cause issues,

GNR would absolutely need promotion for a new album. Hell people still ask if Slash is back in the band!

As for Eminem he's been doing the surprise drops for the last couple albums due to the massive failure of revival. I do think a surprise drop is cool as it prevents people getting bored with an album era before release. But for any new release I'd like to see it hyped up.

GNR would absolutely be made to do interviews and the like if they wanted to release a new album. This isn't the 90's where GNR have all the power the label will make sure to put sufficient promotion as a stipulation of allowing another GNR album out the door (especially after how Axl ghosted any promotion for CD).

Who the hell still asks if Slash is in the band? Him and Duff are the only ones who do interviews about the band ffs! :lol:

I don't think they'd 'absolutely be made to do interviews' either. The only real promo they did leading up to the reunion was a few social media posts. Slash and Duff mentioned the AFD boxset in a couple interviews but it's not like they were aggressively promoting it. They'd probably just do the same amount of press that they've been doing for the last few years. At best, we'd get maybe one interview from Axl.

As a side note, I think the surprise-release method would be the best route for GNR - if they announced the tracklisting a month beforehand I'm pretty sure it would be received in the same way Revival was ("The General? I don't want Chinese Democracy songs, fuck this!" and so on).

• Like 2

Rock or Bust was a pretty rad AC/DC album in a lot of ways. Gives me hope that a 60 year old Axl isn’t an instant deal-breaker.... 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Pretty much because the demand was way over judged.. All the stores bought way too many copies initially which greatly boosted sales. Most of those copies ended up in the 99 cent bin and I highly doubt there was any retailer that had to refill their supply because they sold out of copies.

Yeah... Contraband showed how to capitalize on the real pent up “GNR” demand.

The build up and success that summer of that album, in retrospect... I mean the business was already in heavy decline and yet... massive pre-release buzz, late night circuit, kids in my school who weren’t rock people were talking about it, three videos in rotation, huge radio play, Grammy win.

CD was like a note being slipped under the door, in comparison.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As a side note, I think the surprise-release method would be the best route for GNR - if they announced the tracklisting a month beforehand I'm pretty sure it would be received in the same way Revival was ("The General? I don't want Chinese Democracy songs, fuck this!" and so on).

Absolutely. I think they will try similar marketing to the remaster.

Vague billboards and social media posts letting people know "something" is coming.

Then drop the album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

Bon Jovi just postponed his next album too.

the difference is Bon Jove HAVE an album to post pone.  Not one member of GnR has said their IS one for sure.  Its just sad.  Ozzy just released an album and is already talking about new material.  GnR cant release one single

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, James Bond said:

Before I bought my new vehicle a few years ago, I didnt trust my old clunker on a six/seven hour drive and back so I rented a car. My well intended friend brought a booklet of CDs to listen to on the drive. We quickly realized there was no CD player to be found. 😂

As if you are describing my drive Phx - San Diego 2017. Word for word.  Except we drove for 4hrd through desert with no internet signal

1 hour ago, fabrph5 said:

the difference is Bon Jove HAVE an album to post pone.  Not one member of GnR has said their IS one for sure.  Its just sad.  Ozzy just released an album and is already talking about new material.  GnR cant release one single

It you say of Bon Jovi is correct, GNR don't have album, but even though they would have next album, this isn't time to release album. Bon Jovi is right about it.

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

It you say of Bon Jovi is correct, GNR don't have album, but even though they would have next album, this isn't time to release album. Bon Jovi is right about it.

Bon Jovi is right about nothing, talentless hack he is. Desmond Child should have been inducted in the rock hall instead of him since he's the reason his albums were successful anyway.

3 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Bon Jovi is right about nothing, talentless hack he is. Desmond Child should have been inducted in the rock hall instead of him since he's the reason his albums were successful anyway.

I'm isn't Bon Jovi fans, my point just was about he postponed his next album, seem good decision. Isn't Desmond Child wrote to Aerosmith too❓

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

I'm isn't Bon Jovi fans, my point just was about he postponed his next album, seem good decision. Isn't Desmond Child wrote to Aerosmith too❓

He co-wrote many of Aerosmith's later hits, but they still had huge success on their own in the 70s. Almost every hit Bon Jovi had was co-written by Child or another "professional songwriter". Makes me wonder if he's even capable of writing a hook.

• Like 1

I’m not comparing by any means GNR (or any band that plays actual music) to Bad Bunny. But Bad Bunny if I’m not mistaken, releaSed an album in March I guess. It was promoted on Jimmy Fallons show. The artwork, album name and track list was revealed on his show. It was a complete surprise for all his fans. I’m not sure if it was released as a digital album or physical too (I guess it was released both ways). GNR can promote Hardschool on Jimmy kinmels show and that’s how you create expectative on people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alangarcianr said:

I’m not comparing by any means GNR (or any band that plays actual music) to Bad Bunny. But Bad Bunny if I’m not mistaken, releaSed an album in March I guess. It was promoted on Jimmy Fallons show. The artwork, album name and track list was revealed on his show. It was a complete surprise for all his fans. I’m not sure if it was released as a digital album or physical too (I guess it was released both ways). GNR can promote Hardschool on Jimmy kinmels show and that’s how you create expectative on people. 

It's easy as fuck to release music these days as long as the artist actually wants to. Hell, you don't even need promotion, you can literally drop an album the same day as a surprise and let it build its own buzz (you know, as long as its actually good). You know that would be HUGE news if a band the size of GNR just surprise released something, and it would work better for them too since no one would have time to build any expectations.

15 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yep - a million times this. I couldn't possibly agree more.

The music in the best possible quality available, well presented, and something to keep forever...absolutely it's going to be the way I consume music. I love going through my collection and rediscovering, looking at sleeve notes, appreciating the albums for what they are etc etc. If I like something, I'm going to buy it, for so so many reasons. 

But all this is just a debate about formats.....I don't think it really has any bearing whatsoever on new GNR music. If any of it was to come it would be made available physically and digitally, like every other release that occurs. 

The issue is, as ever, that there is no new material coming. If there were ANY plans to release even one song, those plans would undoubtedly have gone ahead.....not least for the reason that some sort of campaign of promotion would already be in place that would require many different agencies, and would be virtually impossible to put a complete final and sudden halt to. 

We're all dreaming if we think the brakes have been thrown on anything by coronavirus.  

You've had that already. 

Sit still and wait for your GNR flowerpot......

Absolutely. I've been browsing my collection the last few weeks and listened to lots of great music I haven't listened to for years. Money well spent. 

In the 90's bands didn't make much money off touring as they knew they'd make it off CD sales. Now it's the other way round. But they won't put the effort in to making a new album. New music will mean new touring/merch and make more money. 

Part of the "Not sure how to release it" carp is surely this IS the best era to be releasing an album. I can understand in 2012 bands unsure how to best release something with downloads being king. But we're back in the era of vinyl, cassettes and beautiful box sets are we Not!? If that doesn't suit an old skool (hardschool) rock n roll band then no time will ever suit them. 

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Part of the "Not sure how to release it" carp is surely this IS the best era to be releasing an album. I can understand in 2012 bands unsure how to best release something with downloads being king. But we're back in the era of vinyl, cassettes and beautiful box sets are we Not!? If that doesn't suit an old skool (hardschool) rock n roll band then no time will ever suit them. 

Agreed. If GnR released a new album (of new music) I would buy it on CD, and also Vinyl. And yes, Im in my 40's. 

They could do it like Tool, and release the CD and overcharge for it. Like $80, and I would still buy the CD. Take my money Axl :-)

4 hours ago, WildStar said:

Absolutely. I've been browsing my collection the last few weeks and listened to lots of great music I haven't listened to for years. Money well spent. 

In the 90's bands didn't make much money off touring as they knew they'd make it off CD sales. Now it's the other way round. But they won't put the effort in to making a new album. New music will mean new touring/merch and make more money. 

We're seeing that mentality (and the senseless drive for nostalgia) stagnate the industry at present. 15 years ago a band like GNR could NEVER have got away with what they're doing now. 

9 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

He co-wrote many of Aerosmith's later hits, but they still had huge success on their own in the 70s. Almost every hit Bon Jovi had was co-written by Child or another "professional songwriter". Makes me wonder if he's even capable of writing a hook.

Then as you says he deserve his place in THE Hall of fame, he is an "songwriter ghost" type.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

Bob Dylan has today released his second brand new track during this Coronavirus pandemic.

I wonder if social distancing has allowed Slash enough time yet to work out how to release GNR music in 2020?

And Fiona released her new album. Hard to listen, totally anti-mainstream. But with 99 score on metacritic. https://www.metacritic.com/music/fetch-the-bolt-cutters/fiona-apple

I should add that she recorded a lot of it at her own house, using just Garage Band software. 

I really think Axl should reinvent himself by releasing a raw album like this. I mean, not experimental, but stripped down, with not a trace of overproduction. Let guitars sound like guitars. Don't add three vocal layers with octaves of himself. Use a real drum, organic keyboards sounds. Throw away the orchestration. Let the songs breath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1