The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's an interesting take. I think it could be somewhere near the truth. I also think there's probably tremendous pressure on him to tour rather than record and focus on new material. No-one is making money from him if he's spending his time tinkering around in a studio. If he's on the road, lots of people are making money from him. 

Not to shitpost, Hmm i think the opposite. I think axl feels less pressure to tour than to record an album.

My reasoning is with the amount of touring he did before and after CDs release. Im sure he felt the pressure in the early  00s new shows.  New band and no doubt people comparing the new lineup to the old one, the positive and negative reviews. If he felt pressure touring i dont think he would have toured as much. The band toured 2 years before the official CD release, and 6 years after. Touring to axl would be an excuse to make some money and travel. As long as the band can easily pay and cover the touring overheads, why not tour?. I woukd say he likes to tour as away to keep the touring crew employed and making money.

With an album its different to him. Its why he screamed at izzy that "there is no fuckin schedule" when recording the illusion songs. He wanted to take the time to get the songs right. This is where the pressure is. I hope hes in a better headspace and willing to be more risky in releasing new music.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

As far as I am concerned ' The New Album' is this..

Hardschool

State Of Grace

Perhaps

Atlas Shrugged

Silkworms 

I highly doubt a REAL new album will happen, so this makes a killer EP.

Add going down, crash diet, bring it back home, too much too soon , just another sunday , sentimental movie

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Not to shitpost, Hmm i think the opposite. I think axl feels less pressure to tour than to record an album.

My reasoning is with the amount of touring he did before and after CDs release. Im sure he felt the pressure in the early  00s new shows.  New band and no doubt people comparing the new lineup to the old one, the positive and negative reviews. If he felt pressure touring i dont think he would have toured as much. The band toured 2 years before the official CD release, and 6 years after. Touring to axl would be an excuse to make some money and travel. As long as the band can easily pay and cover the touring overheads, why not tour?. I woukd say he likes to tour as away to keep the touring crew employed and making money.

With an album its different to him. Its why he screamed at izzy that "there is no fuckin schedule" when recording the illusion songs. He wanted to take the time to get the songs right. This is where the pressure is. I hope hes in a better headspace and willing to be more risky in releasing new music.

If the reason he is so shy about releasing music is that he can't deal with the possible negative reviews, he is in the wrong business. No band has ever pleased everybody, and no band has consistently pleased all their fans. Make the album you like, and release it... if people like it great, if people don't like it, well at least you can listen to it and say it was what I wanted it to be. 

I think you are right though. Touring for Axl is fun and besides the pressure of putting on a good show he is under no pressure. Going into a recording studio is also fun, but judging by how he described the process of making CD I just don't think he has been overly keen to repeat any of it again (understatement). I don't doubt that he has been working on material on and off the road... end of the day, the guy is a musician and he writes and has ideas all the time. 

As for his current headspace? who knows but hopefully it's a productive headspace that leads to music in the near future... 

On a side note, I would love to know how many times I have typed 'Hopefully' and 'Possibly' and 'potentially' on this forum since I joined 😂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

On a side note, I would love to know how many times I have typed 'Hopefully' and 'Possibly' and 'potentially' on this forum since I joined 😂

I am guessing at least as much as Richard Fortus anytime he is asked about GNR plans in interviews :lol:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

If the reason he is so shy about releasing music is that he can't deal with the possible negative reviews, he is in the wrong business. No band has ever pleased everybody, and no band has consistently pleased all their fans. Make the album you like, and release it... if people like it great, if people don't like it, well at least you can listen to it and say it was what I wanted it to be. 

I don't think he personally cares  about negative (or positive) reviews.

Axl just wants the record to be 'perfect' by his personal standards and all other metrics be damned. 

It's part of why he was so livid at the whole artwork debacle for CD. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GNR_RNR said:

I don't think he personally cares  about negative (or positive) reviews.

Axl just wants the record to be 'perfect' by his personal standards and all other metrics be damned. 

he did seem to care when he talked about how most fans didn't like his choice of using his clean voice on a lot of the Chinese material. Also said he was surprised of how fans on the internet mostly didn't like Brian May's Catcher solo on the leak. Seemed to care about that as well.

I think he cares but perhaps what he cares most about is that he thinks it's great. I totally buy that he is a raging perfectionist.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I believe he was referring to Brian’s own criticism himself of how Axl had cut the solo together from various takes he’d done. 

no. Axl was referring to how fans online reacted to May's solo on the leak at the time. Some liked it, some didn't. He said he was surprised of how fans reacted to such a legend. He seemed to doubt May's positive reaction to it and it felt like he didn't believe it was sincere. May said he was offered to perform the song with Gn'R in 2006 but he thought it was better to just let them play it. Something to that effect.

Great guitar work throughout. I really like what Bumble did as well but the tone is not as fitting as May's and the outro is too busy imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DTV88 said:

There’s no way Silkworms is on any album with Slash. That song is the biggest turd Axl ever shat! 

I'm not saying these are songs the current lineup are going to re-record. What I'm saying is that I do not beleive we will get a new album so those leaks are what I consider to be 'the new album'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

he did seem to care when he talked about how most fans didn't like his choice of using his clean voice on a lot of the Chinese material. Also said he was surprised of how fans on the internet mostly didn't like Brian May's Catcher solo on the leak. Seemed to care about that as well.

I think he cares but perhaps what he cares most about is that he thinks it's great. I totally buy that he is a raging perfectionist.

Did he care though?

I took both those comments as commentary on the fans rather than Axl caring.

I don't really think he cares about fan reception, just that the snare is the perfect decibel level.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Does anyone know why the album artwork was an issue in the first place? Surely if an artist is looking for a certain artwork it's the norm to go with that?

Usually, I wouldn't care much about album artwork, but Chinese's was so bad and boring that I had no interest in listening to it on Spotify for a long time. Such a shame when the alternatives were so much better

21 minutes ago, registra said:

Does anyone know why the album artwork was an issue in the first place? Surely if an artist is looking for a certain artwork it's the norm to go with that?

Usually, I wouldn't care much about album artwork, but Chinese's was so bad and boring that I had no interest in listening to it on Spotify for a long time. Such a shame when the alternatives were so much better

In the end, the album was rushed with an artwork and lyrics filled with errors. The grenade was axls favourite, as he told us in the chat...

30 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

Did he care though?

I took both those comments as commentary on the fans rather than Axl caring.

I don't really think he cares about fan reception, just that the snare is the perfect decibel level.

pretty sure the snare must be perfect or someone will get murdered but maybe it's not an either/or situation? idk. My guess is that if Axl didn't care about reception at all, he wouldn't express what he felt about it. It's only my interpretation, but he seemed disappointed about the negative reception of his clean voice on Chinese.

it's just human nature to want people to be into what you're doing but I don't believe it compares to what he wants his art to be like for himself.

having said that, opinions of the fan base have shaped how the album turned out in the past imo. Like Better's chorus lyrics. Right after some fans here ridiculed some of the lyrics, it magically changed on the official release and right after he commented on May's Catcher solo he got Bumble to replace it. Coincidence? you decide.

Edited by Rovim

26 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

In the end, the album was rushed with an artwork and lyrics filled with errors. The grenade was axls favourite, as he told us in the chat...

The grenade is the cover I have on my playlists etc. The way it was meant to be.

51 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's only my interpretation, but he seemed disappointed about the negative reception of his clean voice on Chinese.

Fair, I always viewed Axl's exchange comments on the clean vocals as him going "ok boomer" to  the fans.

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Reflex after all these years. He says it when approached by anyone about anything. 

5:58 (june 2012. He's not even asked about GN'R but he says he is focus on GN'R and that it is where his head is now and that same year they will go back to studio to record music)

9:16 (june 2015. The interviewer asks about Chinese Democracy sessions leftovers, Fortus has the balls to say that they are not going to release anything that same year, but next one, and they will be touring these new songs... the interviewer is in silence and Fortus insists "I hope so, yeah, yeah")

Edited by Uncle Bob
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I think Fortus never lied, meaning he replicated what he’ve been told by Axl.

Things dont depend on him, so I would give Richard a break on this.

That's how I've always felt about every member of GNR, including Axl. I don't think any of them are lying, they're just going by what Axl tells them. I also think Axl believes the things he says when he says them. 

• Like 2